The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

To me Red River is one of those few flawless films ever made. The acting on all the parts of the players is simply magnificent for the time, and as I mentioned I think it's John Wayne's peak performance. Hawks not only get's the best out of his actors, (and I may say this is his best film too in my opinion), but also out of the landscapes. Even the score is brilliant. The editing is melodic and epic. It may be my favorite western actually.
Yup Howard Hawks is one of the great directors. What other John Wayne films do you like?

Yup Howard Hawks is one of the great directors. What other John Wayne films do you like?
I'm a sucker for Ford/Wayne films. 3 Godfathers, Stagecoach, The Searchers, etc. But I also appreciate other works. As I mentioned I love The Cowboys, (while not my favorite film), and True Grit. But to be honest, I haven't invested too much in to his oeuvre. I'm more of an "experimental/avant-garde/arthouse" goon, but I do appreciate the classics... it's as Brakhage would say: "My mommy and daddy."
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
HUD will be one of my favorite movies to show up. I don't see it as a western so I didn't vote for it.

The Cowboys wasn't on my radar until Ed nominated it for a HoF. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and strangely it reminded me of Stand By Me. Loved the unexpected.

11. The Shootist (1976) (#57)
18. Day of the Outlaw (1959) (#77)
19. Red River (#56)
21. The Cowboys (#50)
24. The Furies (1950) (#84)
25. Winchester 73 (1950) #53
WOW, had NO IDEA you enjoyed it enough to put it on your list! VERY COOL!!

Alright, it's catch-up time because I thought it had been just a couple of days since I checked in on the Countdown...only to realize it's been nearly a week! Luckily I don't have much to say about the films haha.

I considered voting for The Great Train Robbery because it was a very important film, not just for Westerns but for cinema as a whole. But when compiling my list I realized that I don't actually like it. I appreciate it, but it's just not an enjoyable watch for me.

While I like the first two, I've never enjoyed the third Back to the Future film either. I do recall liking Bone Tomahawk, or at least the last half of it, but I've been neglecting to rewatch it for years now and don't remember enough about it to determine if I'd still like it.

But the accent in the video sounds more like a sad parody of a Newfoundland accent. It's certainly not typical of Canadians in any general sense.
It's nothing like any Newfoundland accent, but it does sound like how we make fun of how slow Mainlanders talk haha.

Hud = Must See! I haven't and now an addition to Rectification List.
HUGE fan of Newman and there are a couple of his, such as this that I truly need to see.

The Cowboys is one of those All-Time Faves that I refused NOT to have on my list, making it one of the two 10 spot positions.

The Cowboys

Jedediah Nightlinger: You're gonna get yourselves killed.
Charles 'Slim' Honeycutt: We're going to finish the job.

On the surface, this may appear as a Children's Film since it does involve eleven kids helping out on a 400-mile cattle run.
But that's only the surface and it definitely wouldn't be made, as is, nowadays,
WARNING: " considering" spoilers below
the final shoot-out involves the boys avenging their boss' murder and theft of the herd of cattle and horses by killing the men responsible. Not wounding them. Or embarrassing them with pranks. But shooting them f@ckin dead.

Made in '72 when most Westerns were more grisly; this hails back to the older Westerns while still keeping a strong measure of grit of its own.
None of which I wish to spoil so I'll have to skip over a lot of the moments I enjoyed and love.

When I was a youngster I had always loved this film and had not seen it since then. I knew it would hold up and was pleasantly surprised how well it holds up. Not to mention how much it drew me in as well as entertained me as a solid Western. With, of course, John Wayne at the helm along with Roscoe Lee Brown, and Bruce Dern doing one hellacious bad guy, the movie has a strong presence due to its youngsters. Who could actually rope and ride.

I learned that: "About half the boys had experience on the junior rodeo circuit and the rest were taught what they had to know during production." and that includes the youngster who plays Hardy Fimps, "Clay O'Brien, now Clay O'Brien Cooper, went on to become an eight-time world champion team roper competing in the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association. He is still among the all-time top money winners in the PRCA".

And if that don't smack of serious Western fodder - than you're a d@mn fool.

Movies Watched 31 out of 52 (59.61%)

John Wayne Films: Two
Clint Eastwood Films: Zero

MY LIST

6. Ride The High Country (#63)
10. The Cowboys (#50)
11. The Grey Fox (#66)
24. Red River (#56)

Not much of a fan of The Cowboys tbh, surprised it's featuring so high here.

Seen: 27/52 (back to plodding along)
My list:  

Faildictions (yee-haw version 1.01):
48. Hostiles
47. Last Train From Gun Hill

I'd guess that most MoFos aren't fans of John Wayne, well Daniel M is but I can't think of anyone else who really likes him. I didn't like Wayne as an actor until I started watching a bunch of his westerns for this countdown, then something clicked and I seen just who good he can be. He's real good and very human in The Cowboys.
How do you feel about the propaganda nature of most of his films?

How do you feel about the propaganda nature of most of his films?
I feel fine, they're just movies and so don't have to match my own ideology ideas. Though most of Wayne's films I've seen didn't have any propaganda nature, unless you want to count that it's 'mainly to have a fist fight for fun'. Actually the fist fight scenes are a bore to me.

Well John Wayne as a person is a slimy piece of **** but as an actor I’ve found I don’t love him too much either. I many of the movies he’s in too!

Jeez. What the hell did John Wayne do to deserve such scathing remarks. As far as I can tell he was a Republican Nationalist—but I don't think that alone warrants hatred of a man. Am I missing something here? (In all seriousness, I'm at a loss, I don't know his biography well enough. I only know bits and pieces about the man.)

Well John Wayne as a person is a slimy piece of **** but as an actor I’ve found I don’t love him too much either. I many of the movies he’s in too!
Why so? I mean what is it that he did?

So I did indeed find THIS ARTICLE and THIS ARTICLE regarding the man. But honestly I'm not terribly surprised considering it was right around Wayne's time that black face was acceptable. The early 20th Century was rampant with such feelings. I would think it's a relatively new thing that the end of the 20th Century and into the 21st that people are demanding more equality for race, sexual differences, etc. ... but... I'm not going to derail this anymore. Just wanted to say I did some research and thought I'd share. Back to the Westerns thread!

Read the interview he did for Playboy magazine.
https://pages.shanti.virginia.edu/Wi...ayboy_Int2.pdf
Thanks for that. I read about a 1/4 of it (too long for me, but interesting!) I disagree with what he said about race relations. Wow he was blunt! especially about the Indians (native Americans), that's as far as I read. Probably best not to get a deep debate going here though. I mean I still like Kevin Spacey as an actor, so Wayne's shortcomings doesn't change my viewpoint of his films.

I mean I still like Kevin Spacey as an actor, so Wayne's shortcomings doesn't change my viewpoint of his films.
So do I and I'll still watch his movies even though I think he's trash.

John Wayne on the other hand I couldn't stand as an actor before I found out he was a garbage person. So there's absolutely no incentive to watch anything he did.

https://pages.shanti.virginia.edu/Wi...ayboy_Int2.pdf
Thanks for that. I read about a 1/4 of it (too long for me, but interesting!) I disagree with what he said about race relations. Wow he was blunt! especially about the Indians (native Americans), that's as far as I read. Probably best not to get a deep debate going here though. I mean I still like Kevin Spacey as an actor, so Wayne's shortcomings doesn't change my viewpoint of his films.
Yeah I have no idea how anyone could justify him not being a terrible person after reading those articles mentioned. But I definitely enjoy plenty of John Wayne films regardless! much easier for me to enjoy his movies than say Woody Allen, who writes his own creepy personality in his work lol