Movies You Thought You'd Love, But Don't?

Tools    

Movie Forums Extra
Suicide Squad

Welcome to the human race...
Wet Hot American Summer - It's frequently hyped up as one of the best cult comedies of the 21st century (if not ever), but I've watched it three times and barely gotten any laughs out of it nor do I really think there's any particular degree of brilliance to its attempts at subversive humour. The same goes for the prequel series that was on Netflix a while back. It's not terrible or anything, just disappointing.

Wet Hot American Summer - It's frequently hyped up as one of the best cult comedies of the 21st century (if not ever), but I've watched it three times and barely gotten any laughs out of it nor do I really think there's any particular degree of brilliance to its attempts at subversive humour. The same goes for the prequel series that was on Netflix a while back. It's not terrible or anything, just disappointing.
Then why watch it 3 times?

Attack the Block.

I saw this in theaters with a buddy. I lied to myself.

Cornish and co did some good writing and the Nick Frost factor should have been good but he felt like a cartoon. The cast wasn't really doing it for me. The effects were appropriately loud and glitzy but it wasn't enough.

Unique film. Wish I liked it more. I may try again one day but twice is enough for now.

Add The World's End to the list, as well.

movies can be okay...
Ali: Fear Eats The Soul - If it wasn't for the great cinematography, this would easily be the worst film I've ever seen. Besides Brigitte Mira, everyone's acting is atrocious. the story is irritatingly terrible, it seemed unfocused, sloppy, and unfinished, as if there were gaps missing all throughout. The character of Ali is without a doubt, the worst character I've ever seen displayed on film, he wasn't developed at all, despite the film demanding me to care about him I ended up hating him, I don't even know if his awkward and abrupt behaviour is out of character or not, since the best way to describe him is by calling him an "Arab zombie". I think that the reason most people love this film is because of the point it is trying to make, but even that wasn't executed well, it just came off as heavy handed.
Side note: Kiff Kiff does not mean whatever they said it meant in the film, that quite pissed me off.

Mouchette and Au Hasard Balthazar - These two separate films could be the same entity and I wouldn't notice, because everything that I despise about one of them is everything that I despise about the other. The best way to describe both movies is by calling them sloppy, it was impossible for me to get invested in anything going on due to how messy and amateurish the execution was.

Blow-Up - Unremarkable. Forgettable. Meaningless. Boring. Unintentionally hilarious at times even. On the other hand, I'm pretty excited to watch La Notte tonight.

Rear Window - A highly praised and loved film that I consider painfully average.

The Pianist - Another highly praised and loved film that I consider painfully average.

The Elephant Man - Fantastic film...too bad the last 30 minutes ruined the whole experience for me. Overall, I guess it's alright.

The Breakfast Club - Ugh.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Blade runner, I just can't get into it. I've watched it a couple of times, tried very hard to like it, liked some bits but not the overall experience.
Same here. I have no idea which version I watched though, as I've read there are a few. Which one is the best version to watch? Might give it a try again in time for the sequel.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Now, I guess this is as good a time as any to say that I am not really a fan of the Marvel movies. However, I really liked the first GotG and I thought this would be an easy pill to swallow, but, the ending rang incredibly hollow for me, Chris Pratt's acting felt drab and weak most of the time, and the intro looked super CGI-ish (the one where Groot is running around the battlefield).

...and I really wanted to see Spider-man: Homecoming when it came to video, but I am actually kind of dreading it at this point.

The Assassination Of Richard Nixon. The Truman Show, American Pie, There's Something About Mary. Quite a few but those fly off the top of my head.
Awww, I love The Assassination of Richard Nixon

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Really? I loved it when I was a teenager. Maybe I should rewatch it now?
I didnt like it either.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
It is very original movie, but I supose I would rate it lower now, then as a teenager.
I do agree with that. I've only seen it once but from memory it was like one big LSD trip for me. That style does nothing for me.

I thought I'd like Natural Born Killers, but turned it off after 10 minutes.
IIRC, I have never made it through this movie either.