Movie where coin spins and balances on it's edge

Tools    

Hi there people!

I am stuck on this one.

I am thinking of a movie scene where there is two people sitting in an office, the one behind the desk has a coin that he likes to spin in certain situations to see what he should do or to predict the outcome of something. He spins it in this certain situation, and it doesn't fall on either side but balances on it's edge on the desk. The guy then puts a glass over it carefully, and all movie that clip with the balancing coin (possibly some sort of special coin?? Or maybe just a quarter) almost falling over and being bumped but never actually falling. The coin signifies something in the movie and is some sort of foreshadowing of something else that happens at the end of the movie.

At the end the coin ends up falling on the side that ended up being right. There was possibly a black guy as one of the main characters, and it might have been some sort of sports movie like about baseball. It could have also been a crime drama, but it was a serious drama of some sort. I'm thinking that it was made in the early 2000's and I'm sure that it was even played on TV at some point so it was sort of popular - this isn't some obscure movie that nobody has heard of. Everyone that I ask remembers that scene with the coin but nobody can think of any actors or what the movie was called!!!!

Help movie buffs!!!!!

Thanks!

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
Inception.. The black guy is played by Leo DiCaprio.

That's what everyone keeps saying!! But it's definitely not inception. It's a sports movie of some sort, I watched it a really long time ago, like early 2000's.... possibly 2002-2005 ish... and it was definitely a realistic non-fiction based movie. The thing that's spinning isn't a top and it's not spinning it's just balancing there on the desk. They were betting on a game or something, or like who the coach should put in the game or something like that.

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
there was a scene similar to that in Truth or consequences with kiefer sutherland.
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

two for the money?

OK, I am now going crazy trying to remember the movie, too.

I seem to remember the guy who tossed the coin (and then put the glass over it) being played by Bob Uecker, but that might not be right.

Bob Uecker was in the "Major League" movies...and I can't find reference online to the coin toss in those movies though.

I know sure as HELL it WAS a baseball movie, though...because the coin toss was whether or not a player was going to make it.

And the coin landed on edge, and the manager (I think it was Uecker) put it under glass...and it stays on edge all season until the end, when the playr DOES make it...and the coin then lands on the good side, meaning that he made it.

I WISH I could know for SURE which movie it was, but I KNOW IT WAS A BASEBALL MOVIE.

Thanks. Now I have to watch it to be sure. I can't find reference to it in any of the articles about the movie...but I was pretty sure I remembered Uecker as being the guy who put the coin under glass.

Thanks for the confirmation of my nagging suspicion.

That doesn't happen in Major League. I have both of those movies, and have watched the first one 100 times. I could type out everything that happens in it right now, and none of that does.

No. None of those are right, and I already came across that page myself in tryng to figure this out. It's also how I stumbled into this Forum.

The Twilight Zone episode "A Penny For Your Thoughts" was recently shown on re-run on TV here...just yesterday in fact...and it got my mom and I talking, and that is how the question about whatever movie this was in came up.

So it isn't Major League? Bummer...I thought I had an answer. Hadn't had a chance to watch it yet to check. This is gonna drive me freaking NUTS...can't ANYONE tell us all what movie that this happens in?

That doesn't happen in Major League. I have both of those movies, and have watched the first one 100 times. I could type out everything that happens in it right now, and none of that does.
COuld have sworn it was Major League. I remember that scene and I remember watching a few baseball movies like that. Only other movie I could think of a movies like Ed and Rookie of the Year.

Well, I KNOW it was a baseball movie...and a fairly recent one, like, from the 1980's or later.
And I seem to remember Uecker in it but maybe not.

I know it was NOT The Natural, Field Of Dreams, or Bull Durham.

It is definitely baseball. I believe it is The Rookie. The black guy isn'the in the scene but is the other player that makes it to the bigs. The coaches flip the coin in their office after a game.

Sem
*ahem*

Ed (1996)

TS 29:30 give or take a few seconds.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I think that movie would be Inception. The black guy is played by Leo DiCaprio.
get know more about ----snip----

Quoted because this made me smile.