Best Stanley Kubrick Film

Tools    

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
Dr. Strangelove, because it's just too great. I would change nothing about that movie.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Full Metal Jacket was a beautiful and disturbing bit of story telling, Kubrick at his his best...almost, the movie I'd vote for is The Shining. I'm not normally a horror fan (they don't scare which is a bit pointless) but this was more than just a horror, it was a psychological study of mans slow decline shot with such sinister pacing it had me on the edge of my seat all the way through.

The Shining, if only because I'm a massive fan of horror movies and I can thank that one for really turning me on to them. More objectively, 2001 is probably his crowning achievement.

I really want to watch Barry Lyndon tonight. Is it any good ?
I could see where some people would really love it. I found it needlessly slow-paced (clearly done on purpose, Kubrick has shown in the past that he knows how to entertain people), but it's one of the most visually beautiful films I've ever seen.

Dr Strangelove for me!

I'd rank them in this order for the ones I have seen. although 2001 and Dr. Strangelove are incredibly close in my opinion.

2001: A Space Odyssey
Dr. Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
The Shining

How I'd rank them:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Dr Strangelove
3. Paths of Glory
4. Barry Lyndon
5. A Clockwork Orange
6. The Shining
7. Eyes Wide Shut
8. Lolita
9. Full Metal Jacket
10. The Killing
11. Spartacus

That's how you know Kubric was great. Nobody has the same answer.

For me: 2001 A Space Odyssey. Especially, but not only because of Hal.

Must be doin sumthin right
Paths of Glory by a nose over 2001, even if I can never buy the coda. Feels tacked-on and totally at odds with the movie that comes before it. Don't necessarily dislike the sentiment, just the way it was handled. Still an overwhelmingly emotional and important film for me

Paths of Glory

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
-
2001: A Space Odyssey
+
A Clockwork Orange

Barry Lyndon
+
The Shining
+
Full Metal Jacket

I've seen The Killing and Eyes Wide Shut, but not in a long time and possibly not each in their entireties

I am the Watcher in the Night
That's how you know Kubric was great. Nobody has the same answer.

For me: 2001 A Space Odyssey. Especially, but not only because of Hal.
Spot on. His put together such a beautiful tapestry of work, all of us can have a separate favourite. Just brilliant.

Probably said it here before but, The Shining
Runner Up: 2001

I think Ebert describes Kubrick the best
"few directors seemed so determined to make every one of his films an individual, free-standing work. Seeing it without his credit, would you guess it was by Kubrick? Would you connect "Dr. Strangelove" with "Barry Lyndon?"

I'd probably tie it between 2001 and The Shining. The Shining movie is better than the book, too.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!