Drive-In Theater near you?

Tools    

I know there's one about an hour from me here in Texas. I have fond memories of my parents loading us all in the old station wagon and all of us kids sitting in the back of it with our own popcorn and drinks. I had some fun at the Drive-In HS as well. It's a shame they're almost extinct...I true Americana experience.

I wish! I've kinda always had this dream to one day start my own business and it be a themed restaurant with a drive in theater/winter theater

Semper Fooey
My dream is to own a milk route.

Wow Nausicaa, you know of a drive in cinema in Britain?

I didn't even think we had one.

If they opened one around here where I live, it'd get trashed before the end of it's opening weekend.

We had a new playpark open and a new shop a few weeks back... it became a drug den with two days and ended up looking like a landfill site with 4 days becuase of all the litter and the shop has been robbed up to 6 times a day, every day, since opening.

Britain is asre when it comes to 'nice things for the community'.

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
I live in Texas myself and i've never been to a Drive-In Theater.
They're not nearly as fun as they sound.

There's one about 45 minutes from Boston. I've gone once or twice a year for about the last five years. I may be going in the next couple days to see a double-feature of Ted and The Dark Night Rises. They have 2 screens with a double-feature on each. One usually shows 2 kid's movies while the other is usually for adults. It's in a small town called Mendon, which also has a zoo. Me and the wife hit the zoo during the day, then the drive in at night. Makes for a great day, $20 per car. We bring beer, food, and whatever; it's awesome. My first drive-in memory was seeing An American Werewolf in London with Poltergeist in Chicago when I was 11 years old.

Think theres one in Birmingham, England. None in NI though!

It used to be that you would have those cheap speakers coming out of the ground. Now you can tune it right into your car stereo or sit outside and listen to it on a portable stereo. It's very appealing to someone like me who gets uncomfortable and restless sitting in a cinema. I can guzzle beer, eat like a pig, have a smoke, lie down in the back of the truck, etc. It's nice.

I grew up in Texas also, and they were very popular in the '60s-'80s, although by the late '80s they had begun to dwindle. It's difficult to explain the appeal of a drive-in if you didn't grow up with it, which I did. The whole family would pile into a car (or truck) and go. There would always be double, and sometimes triple-features for the price of one carload most of the time.

As a kid, if you were bored by the movie your parents picked, some drive-ins had extra screens showing other films. I can remember turning around in the backseat and watching more interesting movies, albeit without the sound. It was really more of a communal event thing---the cinema is still the best place to see a movie, IMO---but being there with family and friends was the true draw. Plus, there was the concession stand that sat in the middle of the property, usually a one-story structure with a smaller housing on top that contained the projectors. The food at the stand was all junk food, sure, but it was fun to go there in-between movies and load up. Or, you could bring your own food in and the owners wouldn't be the wiser. Lots of good memories at the drive-in. I wouldn't go now...like Critics said, the heat right now in Texas is horrible, although there's usually a mild breeze at night. Still, if you don't bring lawn chairs or camping chairs and sit outside the vehicle, you're likely to be melting before long. It is pretty much a lost experience for the most part, although Texas still has several, as stated above.

There used to be a couple here in Adelaide, but now there's only one. Quite frankly, I'm surprised it still stands.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
We have a drive-in theater near us in Auburn, WA.

Here is the website, http://valleydriveins.com/.