The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
and everyone was prescribed Ritalin and Wong Kar-war movies.
Wong Kar-Wai*

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Wong Kar-war sounds better.

In fact, it should be Wong Kar-War. Looks better.

Breaking Away just missed my list. The first time i watched it i was bored out my mind for some reason and couldn't concentrate on it, but after a rewatch i came to love it. Some of the cycling scenes are immense, especially the one where he races the Italians but as Holden said it's much more than a cycling movie.

Haven't seen All That Jazz i'm just not a big fan of musicals, i'll eventually get around to it as well as Cabaret because both look like they might be exceptions.

The Adventure Starts Here!
The '70s sucked.

There's a lot of movies from 1979 because it's the year closest to the '80s.

The '80s was THE decade, okay? Not the '70s.

If the '70s was the best decade, I would have been born in it. Instead, I was born in the '80s, the right decade.
I'm so glad you have such a wide perspective on life on this planet and that it's not really all about you---wait... never mind.

I was born in the '60s. The EARLY '60s! In fact, I was born on the very day Alan Shepard became the first American in space. Yeah. Me. Boo-yah!

We don't choose when we're born, so there's no reason to be proud. Although, some people do believe we choose when we're born. In a sort of pre-life existence, maybe between reincarnations.

And yet.... I was kidding, of course. Surely you could tell. With you, I wasn't so sure.
Just keeping up with the tradition of not knowing.

The Adventure Starts Here!
One small question: If you weren't even alive yet, how do you know the '70s sucked? I was alive for every second of the '70s, so I have a right to have an opinion. Someone who post-dates the entire decade? Not so much.

Now, back to the '70s countdown discussion, please...

One small question: If you weren't even alive yet, how do you know the '70s sucked? I was alive for every second of the '70s, so I have a right to have an opinion. Someone who post-dates the entire decade? Not so much.
Well, if I wasn't alive during it, of course it sucked. Why were so many other people allowed to experience the '70s, but not me? What's with the prejudice?

Like, if I should happen to tragically die tonight (God forbid), tomorrow would suck. Next week would suck. This Christmas would suck. Next year. Ten years from now, etc. etc.

The day of my funeral, especially. I'm sure I'd look awful.

Have you seen any silent movie, Sexy?
NOSFERATU.

If I saw any others, I don't remember.

I'm not against them. Wait -- just remembered. METROPOLIS is silent, isn't it? I'm against that one.

THE ARTIST is silent, too, right? Against that one as well. Most overrated thing to win the Oscars probably EVER.

Sexy, your horror list says you haven't seen The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Go see it now!

Sexy, your horror list says you haven't seen The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Go see it now!
I doubt he'd like it if his expectations are high going in. I didnt hate it. Its the most advanced silent movie of its time, but its still a silent movie.

I saw the silent movie of The Call Of Cthulhu. It was boring ass. Funny, you know youre a geek if you know how to spell Cthulhu.

I think Cabaret is easily top ten. I sure hope people don't put Sexy on blast. Besides Holds, he's got some of the best material in this thread so far. Whether he hates the 70's or not... he's not wrong about the 80's.

Now folks, please to be sure to go back and tip your waiter repeatedly for this entire thread. Holden Pike is going to take us all on a magical journey through the 70's and for those of you following at home you may think Holds is actually a computer of some kind. Perhaps he's HAL9000.

I can attest to the fact that he is a real living being. Whole and true. The best part is he's going to spit all this stuff from his great big brain! How he retains all this stuff is amazing I says.

As far as the last two great flicks go, I like em both quite a bit. OK then, I say we start posting one an hour! Who's with me!

I don't hate the '70s at all. In fact, I'm not really serious about the '80s being better. I know there's lots of good stuff about the '70s. Some very profound stuff, as well. I just haven't seen it all. And I didn't bother to check out new stuff for my list. I wish I had, but I didn't do it, and as you know, no free will. I'm handicapped that way. I wanna watch more, but I find it hard to wheel myself over to the 1970's Blockbuster Video.

I have seen some of the Terrence Malick '70s movies. Y'all are crazy for liking that garbage.

There's other things I wish I had rewatched. There's one thing I recently did rewatch and I had it high on my '70s list, and now it wouldn't be.

Anyway, enough about me. I get too much microphone time, I think.