Best Picture Oscar 2015

Tools    

Pick Oscar's Best Picture of the year...
4.55%
2 votes
AMERICAN SNIPER
20.45%
9 votes
BIRDMAN
54.55%
24 votes
BOYHOOD
4.55%
2 votes
THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL
2.27%
1 votes
THE IMITATION GAME
0%
0 votes
SELMA
0%
0 votes
THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING
13.64%
6 votes
WHIPLASH
44 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Some of the snub-a-dub-snubs in the Best Picture category...

You'd have to start with Foxcatcher. When there can be up to ten nominees and one of the five Best Director nominees doesn't have his film make the cut, that's odd. In fact, since the expansion of this category, Bennett Miller is the first nominated director not to have his film be nominated as Best Picture. Two years ago it was that even odder case where the film that won Best Picture, Argo, didn't see its director Ben Affleck nominated. So, Foxcatcher not being here is a bit of a puzzler.

It didn't have a whole lot of buzz for Picture, however Wild did secure the two prominent acting nominations for Witherspoon and Laura Dern, with a no show here.

David Fincher's Gone Girl was a big hit, financially, and generated quite a lot of conversation upon its release, but it was ignored by the Academy, save for Rosamund Pike's performance. Fincher has been nominated for two Best Director awards, for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and The Social Network, both of which got Best Picture nominations. Not this year.

Nightcrawler isn't a snub, so much, as it was an underdog to show up here. Gyllenhaal didn't make the cut in a year overflowing with great lead male performances, so writer/director Dan Gilroy's nomination for Best Original Screenplay will have to hold the film's fans over.

Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't exactly "expected" to show up among the Best Picture nominees, but it would have been welcomed by many of those who made it the year's top grossing flick. When the Best Picture category was expanded from five to as many as ten, it was supposedly going to appease those Twitter-screaming genre fans who thought it ridiculous that well-reviewed blockbusters like The Dark Knight can't seem to make the cut of five. But if that was an expected or at least hoped for result of the expansion, it hasn't manifested that way, yet. Guardians got two nominations in the technical side, for Visual Effects and Makeup, but couldn't crack through to the bigger awards like Adapted Screenplay or Best Picture. Oh, well.

A Most Violent Year wasn't really expected to make it, as its late release (still not available, wide) and familiar plot elements in the trailer didn't give it much heat. But Eastwood's American Sniper was on similar ground, yet got Best Picture, Adapted Screenplay, and Best Actor nominations. No such late surge for Jessica Chastain, Oscar Isaac, or here in Best Picture.

Que Sera-Sera.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	snubs.jpg
Views:	837
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	19537  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

enough said

Inherent Vice too, it was never gonna make it, but it surely deserves a mention.
I don't think there were many expectations that Inherent Vice, with its mixed reception from both critics and the public, was going to sneak in under the wire. It certainly could have, obviously, and Paul Thomas Anderson, like David Fincher, is pretty well liked by the Academy, with previous nominations for the scripts of Boogie Nights, Magnolia, and There Will Be Blood, and Best Director and Best Picture nods for There Will Be Blood, as well. I really enjoyed the Heck out of Inherent Vice, myself, but I am not surprised that Adapted Screenplay and Best Costume Design are all it managed for Oscar nominations. Anything else would have been a surprise.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	vice.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	19539  

I was even (positively) surprised that it got a nomination for Adapted Screenplay, to be honest.
Remember that everybody in the Academy votership nominates Best Picture, but only those members who are screenwriters nominate the screenplays (and directors the directors, actors the actors, etc.). So because P.T.A. already had three nominations in that category, it should signal that he is very respected by the writers. I hoped/expected he'd make the cut there, at least. And he did.

I didn't think that Gone Girl or Inherent Vice were great but they were both far better than American Sniper IMO.

I've only seen four of the nominations and think Boyhood should win so far but The Grand Budapest Hotel or Whiplash would be deserving.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm realistically Eastwoods biggest fan on this site, but that American Sniper nomination is real surprising. I haven't seen it, but I've heard it is near Eastwood at his worst.

I'm realistically Eastwoods biggest fan on this site, but that American Sniper nomination is real surprising. I haven't seen it, but I've heard it is near Eastwood at his worst.
I absolutely hated it - but I'm not its target market so that probably doesn't matter. Generally I like Eastwood but if you were to take everything that stopped me really loving his other films and stuffed them into one movie you would have American Sniper.

I am surprised to not see Gone Girl or Nightcrawler, Gone Girl more so as i thought it was a brilliantly made.

wanabe movie critique
My vote goes to Grand Budapest Hotel

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Grand Budapest Hotel wore me out before it ended, as did Moonrise Kingdom.

I just saw American Sniper and I loved it. But for my money and my humble opinion I say The Grand Budapest is the most deserving film. Boyhood is very innovative, but that innovation looses it's sheen about 90 minutes into the movie. The story is still very good, but I found The Grand Budapest Hotel to be me just a better crafted movie from start to finish. Not trying to take anything away from Linklater, but that is how I would vote if I was in the Academy. But I am not so my opinion ain't worth much in that regard.

Had to vote Boyhood, both as a prediction and as my own choice.

Completely devastated me, even though it's not a sad film. Put me in a completely meditative state of mind, I was scared to leave the theater because my mind was telling me that since years now only take 15 minutes, I would die later that night.

And of course, I desperately wanted to see the rest of the character's lives.

I'm somewhat of a fanboy for Linklater however. Though I guess only really for the Before trilogy and Boyhood, the others I can take or leave.

Looks like this long weekend I'll get to see American Sniper, Still Alice, A Most Violent Year, and Two Days, One Night. Which should about wrap up 2014 for me. At least theatrically speaking.

Voted Grand Budapest because since I hate it (as most of you already know
), it will probably win just to make me pissed off.

It is the only nominated film I have seen though.

I watched Boyhood, and I think the movie is overhyped.

It was a decent coming-of-age film, with powerful performances by the scene-stealing Ethan Hawke, who deserves the Oscar nomination, and Patricia Arquette, who is a lock to win Best Supporting Actress.

Ellar Coltrane's acting was tedious, and the running time was about 40 minutes too long.

The movie succeeded in keeping me interested to know what happens next for young Mason, but there was no scene that really captivated me. It was just all...okay.

I still predict Boyhood will win the Oscar, but Birdman or Grand Budapest Hotel are more worthy in my opinion.