2023 Film Challenge

Tools    

John Wick 4

The trick is not minding
Very intriguing and interesting reveals.
Already started looking up films for them.
The 30’s is perfect because I was going to prioritize that decade this coming year anyways.

The trick is not minding
'Part 1' is key here.
Hint hint, wink wink
Happy 2025...
Don’t you mean 2024?
Or is this a hint of some kind?

For man vs nature, I presume this could be vs the elements or animals, correct?

I don't wanna speak for Jabs, but that's what I'd lean towards myself.

'Part 1' is key here.
Hint hint, wink wink
Happy 2025...
So we could be looking at categories focusing on various decades? Interesting!

Also answers to Jabba
Exactly. Some of the more popular films that fit into this would be The Revenant, Letter Never Sent, The Grey, Into the Wild etc.

Also answers to Jabba
You’re not suggesting you’re taking a year off right?

Otherwise I don’t get it.

Like Apex suggested, this is a new series for the main challenge, much like the cinematic waves were. Focusing on genres, themes and people that defined a decade. This is just the first of many to come, ergo part 1.

The trick is not minding
Like Apex suggested, this is a new series for the main challenge, much like the cinematic waves were. Focusing on genres, themes and people that defined a decade. This is just the first of many to come, ergo part 1.
I get that part, and am looking forward to it, but it’s the 2025 reference I don’t understand

The trick is not minding
Ah, ok I got it now. So moving from film movements for now and more toward defining movies of specific decades, going by the 1930’s reveal? Interesting Looking forward to the challenge as always.

not dead

[/quote]

That's cool.

Cinematic Movements:

The best of those that I saw was Aguirre, the Wrath of God. All I knew of Klaus Kinski was a minor role he played in For a Few Dollars More. So imagine my surprise as he showcased Aguirre's obsession with power through his eyes. The film contained multiple memorable moments of sound and visuals (that scene with all the monkeys being a standout one).

Had a tie for second between two different films. Although not a particularly huge fan of its ending, I thought Taste of Cherry was well done. It was philosophical about its main topic and kept you watching to see where it went next. Nothing quite that heady about BMX Bandits, but that film was fun with a capital F. Three teens, including Nicole Kidman in her debut, go around trying to stop a group of thieves after intercepting some walkie talkies. Considering I wasn't a big fan of the Goonies, I think 10-12 year old me would have enjoyed this.

Considering there was no dialogue, The Naked Island could almost pass for a silent movie. Although a bit predictable on what happens, it's still impressive how they kept farming day in and day out considering what they had to deal with. The scenes in the city where they felt like strangers to what was happening around them was a highlight.

I should have known better considering that it was Luc Besson directing, but Subway kind of felt like it was all style and no substance. Isabelle Adjani was fine (the dinner party scene was a highlight), but I think the big takeaway was how Jean Reno stole scenes just by tapping drumsticks. Christopher Lambert is too much of a blank space as an actor (and his character wasn't much better...his hair had more personality than he did) to make this work at the end.

Not much to say about Farewell Topsails. It's a 9 minute short about how a boat is fixing to retire after a long career. The music around it was variable, but the narration was solid.