Favorite Shots of All Time

Tools    

baptism in a dunking booth
I didnt scan to see if someone had said it

but near the end of Eternal Sunshine when the house is deterirating around joel and clementine as they recount the first time they met

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by adidasss
therefore since the people in those countries watch 99.9% of the programs in their native language they in my opinion have a problem with watching shows or movies that are not in their native language and are subtitled.
This is post hoc, ergo propter hoc, or flawed logic. You are attempting to link two things that are only vaguely related. In other words, just because most of our films and shows are produced in English, doesn't mean we don't or can't enjoy the cultures of other countries, including films in their native tounge, presented with subtitles. The two are not mutually exclusive by any stretch of the imagination. I myself refuse to watch a foreign film if it's dubbed, it ruins the film and the true emotions of the actors are lost. Many people hold the same attitude, and live in this country. Please remember that America is one of the most diverse counties in the world, with a huge mix of cultures, races, and ways of living. Tis the melting pot after all. Assuming most of the people think along the same lines in America is laughably ridiculous.

smaller and poorer countries don't produce many quality tv programs so they are forced to buy foreign programs ( not only in english ) and the people are therefore used to subtitles...and those kind of countries are a majority in the world...
Straw man. This isn't what we are talking about here. It is also inaccurate. Before I comment on this, I need to clear up which countries are included in this "smaller or poorer" catagory you are talking about. What about asian countries. Certainly not a minority of the population, I hope you aren't trying to include them in "small" or "poor" catagories, because they are neither. Please clear up these vague groups you keep talking about.

Back to the issue. We are talking about America, and the rest of the "rich west" (so, if a country does well financially, the culture dries up? Poppycock!) having an apparent inability to enjoy subbed films. The choice each and every American can make about a film has nothing to do with either the financial standing of smaller countries nor the fact that most of the films made in this country are in English. I would argue that it has more to do with the education of the individual in question, and how they were brought up to view world culture. Contrary to popular belief, we aren't a country full of ignorant bigots (remember, we have the most diverse mix of races in the world, with American citizens from each and every county on the planet living here) that are trying to stamp out other cultures across the globe. Of course that element exists, because there are ignorant people in the world, in every country, buit I have been to a majority of the states in the USA in my time, and it just isn't a majority of the people here.

You ask me not to try and convince you about these concepts, but I need to ask. Just how is it that you think you would have more knowledge about the USA, than someone who has lived, worked, and existed here for upwards of 35 years?

Sorry I highjacked this thread, and will return to shots very soon, but I eally think you have some incorrect information you are going by, and would like you to perhaps gain the understanding that there are many, many good people in this country that you could maybe learn a thing or two from, while in turn perhaps exposing them to some information or culture that they hadn't previously been exposed to. I mean, take Croatia, I know very little about your country, and would like to learn more, and I believe my lack of knowledge come from lack of exposure. Have you lived in the US? Do you think it's possible that some of the information you have been presented with, second hand, could be inaccurate?

And really, You clearly aren't an idiot, but just seem a little misguided and perhaps a little angry about the USA. I understand the anger. No, I really do. Hell, I am pissed at my country a lot of the time, but I love it just the same, because much good exists here. But please remember, there are many, many people in this country and we are all so, so different. I believe keeping healthy channels of communication open throughout the world will help to clear up some of the misconceptions about the American people. Think what you want about the politics of this country, as they are a mess, but please don't condemn an entire country full of people on a whim.

Meanwhile:

SHOTS: (I really like both of the ones you listed last, btw)

Solaris (2002 version) - When the communication from Dr. Gibarian ends, it fragments and freezes behind Dr. Kelvin. This one image speaks volumes about the film.

Leon - When he peeps into the Penthouse through the bullethole near the start of the film.

Jian Gui (The Eye) - The elevator...

La Cité des enfants perdus - The chain reaction....

EDIT - Wow, what a waste of time this post was. Just saw that you randomly told Nebbit off in another thread for no reason, which made me realize I have been far too patient with your lame ass.

Ignore what I typed above the shots, and insert this instead:

Long walk, short pier.

Oh, and Goodbye, don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Originally Posted by Sedai
EDIT - Wow, what a waste of time this post was. Just saw that you randomly told Nebbit off in another thread for no reason, which made me realize I have been far too patient with your lame ass.

Ignore what I typed above the shots, and insert this instead:

Long walk, short pier.

Oh, and Goodbye, don't let the door hit you in the ass.
[/size]
don't be like that..i was just misbehaving a bit, i was reading the thread and every other post was like "great review" so i just got the urge to say, ok let's stop XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXand exuse the language, i get a bit vulgar at times...
This is post hoc, ergo propter hoc, or flawed logic. You are attempting to link two things that are only vaguely related. In other words, just because most of our films and shows are produced in English, doesn't mean we don't or can't enjoy the cultures of other countries, including films in their native tounge, presented with subtitles. The two are not mutually exclusive by any stretch of the imagination. I myself refuse to watch a foreign film if it's dubbed, it ruins the film and the true emotions of the actors are lost. Many people hold the same attitude, and live in this country. Please remember that America is one of the most diverse counties in the world, with a huge mix of cultures, races, and ways of living. Tis the melting pot after all. Assuming most of the people think along the same lines in America is laughably ridiculous.
never said the two things absolutley exculde each other, i just think that people , and yes, my impression is that it's the majority ,who watch the majority of movies and tv in their native language consider reading subtitles rather tireing and distracts them from the movie and are therefore put off by them
Straw man. This isn't what we are talking about here. It is also inaccurate. Before I comment on this, I need to clear up which countries are included in this "smaller or poorer" catagory you are talking about. What about asian countries. Certainly not a minority of the population, I hope you aren't trying to include them in "small" or "poor" catagories, because they are neither. Please clear up these vague groups you keep talking about.
yes, you cought me, i was wrong, it's not the majority of the world, i was mainly reffering to smaller countries because the bigger ones, no matter how poor they are, dub all of their foreign programs/movies ( and the majority of countries in asia are in fact poor, save from japan thailand and taiwan )
Contrary to popular belief, we aren't a country full of ignorant bigots (remember, we have the most diverse mix of races in the world, with American citizens from each and every county on the planet living here) that are trying to stamp out other cultures across the globe. Of course that element exists, because there are ignorant people in the world, in every country, buit I have been to a majority of the states in the USA in my time, and it just isn't a majority of the people here.
so you say...but in my opinion those people ARE in fact the majority ( and let's bring politics into this, the majority of people in your country voted for George Bush...i rest my case )
Sorry I highjacked this thread, and will return to shots very soon, but I eally think you have some incorrect information you are going by, and would like you to perhaps gain the understanding that there are many, many good people in this country that you could maybe learn a thing or two from, while in turn perhaps exposing them to some information or culture that they hadn't previously been exposed to. I mean, take Croatia, I know very little about your country, and would like to learn more, and I believe my lack of knowledge come from lack of exposure. Have you lived in the US? Do you think it's possible that some of the information you have been presented with, second hand, could be inaccurate?
yes , some information could be inaccurate, and thank God for the internet so you can correct or try to correct my misconceptions...
i think there ARE many intelligent and supercool people in the US and i love most things about your culture,from tv shows and incredible cinematography ( without which i couldn't imagine my life ) to the best music scene in the world ...
And really, You clearly aren't an idiot
*blushes* why thank you

i hope i will stick arround long enough to convince you i'm not a total dickhead...

don't be like that..i was just misbehaving a bit, i was reading the thread and every other post was like "great review" so i just got the urge to say, ok let's stop XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXand exuse the language, i get a bit vulgar at times...

You clicked "AGREE" to the following when your joined this forum:

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

Your post has been edited to remove offensive language and you can consider this your one and only warning from me on the subject.

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Caitlyn

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

Your post has been edited to remove offensive language and you can consider this your one and only warning from me on the subject.
sorry....i didn't really read the rules...ok, i'll refreain from cussin....sorry again

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Caitlyn

What..really!?

*sneaks out of thread*

I just remember this one. When Shredder pops his hand through all the debri from the fallen wood. That is awesome. I forget what Ninja Turtle's movie it's from though.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

I like the opening scene of Raging Bull...plays an emotional song that sets you up for the movie in a black and white screen with the RAGING BULL" in red.

The ending scene in Saving private Ryan.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
The Death Valley shot in Greed.

A couple sticking out of the ground in Un chien andalou.

The overhead shot of Marshal Will Kane standing alone in the street in High Noon .

Ethan Edwards outside the door in The Searchers .

Death on the beach in The Seventh Seal.

Colonel Nicholson falling on the plunger in The Bridge on the River Kwai.

Antoine Doinel on the beach in The 400 Blows .

Sherif Kharish appearing in the desert in Lawrence of Arabia .

John McCabe in the snow in McCabe & Mrs. Miller .

Constance Miller's face at the end of McCabe & Mrs. Miller .

Roy Batty releasing the dove in Blade Runner .

Rosa Lee looking through a screen door in Tender Mercies.

It's late I can't think anymore.

I ate all your bees.
Originally Posted by Ash_Lee
The far-out shot when we see Gandalf and the Balrog falling at the beginning of TTT.
Thats a great shot, good choice.

I love the shot in A Fistfull of Dollars when Joe first confronts the Baxter men.

"I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it."

...but before he goes to confront them, he says to the coffin maker, "Get three coffins ready." Then, when the men fail to apologize to Joe's mule and Joe has to plug 'em, he walks back by the coffin maker saying, "My mistake. Four coffins..."

The way all this is filmed adds not only to the tension crackling in the air, but lends a romantic and dreamlike quality to the anti-hero. Every gunfight is beautifully shot...I love 'em all.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
^^^^^^total agreement Duke, but the whole film is a favourite shot for me

Fellow matrix fans will always be warmly received

Born on the Fourth of July - the shot of Wilson coming over the Dunes and Tom Cruises face as he realises whats happening

Movie Forums Member
Hmm, tough one. Definitely the Godfather has 2 of my most memorable movie shots of all time. First being when Tom Higgins first flies to California and the view of the big time directors house is amazing. The other one, which is probably my favorite scene ever, is when Michael first walks around Italy and the town. I don't think any scene comes close to matching that one.

Movie Forums Member

Best scene in part 3. I clapped when she died...