Ryan O’Neal 1941-2023

Tools    

Anyone have his phone number, I have this bible that his family ordered...

RIP

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
RIP

"Barry Lyndon" was one of the movies I liked in the first year of my becoming serious about movies. FF to the last time I was in SF (2016), the last thing I did before my red-eye flight was to watch "Paper Moon" on my laptop and liked it very much. I couldn't watch 'what's up doc?" mostly because I hate that entire genre.

"Love Story" is a decent movie. But, not sure if I'd like it now. I always found Ali McGraw to be expressionless and I agree with the above sentiment that Ryan O'Neal always seemed a little dumb or lost, but it worked in a couple of movies. There's a funny scene between he and Farrah in "The Larry Sanders Show"

And they wanted him to star in "Rocky" because no one could write a script like Stallone and he demanded to be the lead, and it worked out.

Believe it or not, I was in the middle of re-watching Paper Moon when I read about this. How spooky is that? He was no Brando, but he was pretty and made a handful of decent movies. His daughter may have won the Oscar but his work in Paper Moon is severely underrated. I also loved Love Story and What's up, Doc?. I also thought he was quite good as Farrah Fawcett's insensitive boyfriend in the mini-series Small Sacrifices. I am definitely going to have to sit down and watch Barry Lyndon now. RIP.

Sad to hear. I liked him in Paper Moon, A Bridge Too Far, The Driver, The Main Event, Irreconcilable Differences, Malibu's Most Wanted (yes, I'm one of the few fans I know of that movie), and something he's not widely know for in cinema circles, his TV role in Bones, as the title character's estranged father who is wanted by the law. Godspeed, Ryan.

He was a bad actor, but there has never been a better more important bad actor.

Well, maybe a couple.

RIP
I don’t think he was a bad actor.

Yeah, I wasn’t a big fan of his, either. Didn’t like Love Story. Why’s Up, Doc? Was ok.
Paper Moon is great, and he isn’t bad in it.
I love love love Love Story. The chemistry between Ryan & Ali was terrific. And she never looked better in any movie she subsequently made.