Movie Tab II

Tools    

Im really happy that you liked The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. Its one of my favorite musicals!

Beauty and the Beast by Jean Cocteau looks like a must see for me. His Orpheus trilogy was brilliant.

I also have Short Cuts lying around, but im not in a hurry to watch it...

Easy Rider - Dennis Hopper
"They're not scared of you. They're scared of what you represent to 'em."

I love movies that are time capsules of the past--- movies that so perfectly capture the era in which they were made that it's like stepping into a time-machine. Easy Rider is a movie that could not have been made during any other time in history--- not without losing its authenticity, at least. The 60's is in its DNA; it lives and breathes and bleeds the 60's. You can practically smell the exhaust from their bikes. I get a contact high just from watching it.

(Hey, Mr. Nicholson, don't bogart that joint!)

I've often wished that I could've been a teenager during the 60's (as long as I don't have to worry about being drafted to 'Nam or anything like that). I've always loved everything about that decade: the movies, the music, the fashion, the hairstyles, the rampant drug use, the ideals, the winds of change that blew in the air. When I put on Easy Rider, I'm transported to a time period that I wasn't alive to experience. I get to hop on the back of a bike with Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda and drive across the country. Like Gravity allowed me to visit space, Easy Rider allows me to visit the age of peace and love and flower-power--- which, as the movie illustrates, isn't as full of peace and love as one might expect.

Besides being the greatest road movie in history, Easy Rider is also one of the most important and revolutionary films ever made. It opened the door to a new breed of independent film-makers, something for which everyone on this forum can be grateful. Since it's deemed a classic, I think many younger people watch it expecting a movie that's much more polished; they're a bit taken aback by how rough around the edges it is. But that's what makes Easy Rider brilliant, in my opinion. It's a landmark counter-culture film made by people who were part of that counter-culture. When they drop acid in a graveyard, they're actually dropping acid in a graveyard! Hopper, Fonda and Nicholson weren't acting so much as just embodying for the camera what they already were. The attitude that serves as the movie's soul was already present in each of them.

No, there isn't much of a plot, but, for me, this is a "hang-out" movie. The soundtrack is phenomenal. Jack Nicholson turned himself into a star with his show-stealing performance. The editing, still to this day, feels inventive, as if even the camera has an acid blotter under its tongue. It's a great film, an important film, and one of my top-twenty favorite films of all time. I love everything about it, warts and all.

I basically agree with most everything you said about Easy Rider, Cap. Revolutionary, landmark, important, time capsule, Nicholson at his best, and on and on. But for me that still doesn't add up to much of a movie. It is a benchmark and watershed, and thank god it was made...but I think it's pretty tedious. Should be seen by any and every movie fan at least once, for sure. But it's not a movie I find myself returning to. Far less influential and key fillms from that period delight me endlessly, while Easy Rider is only historically significant for me. If nothing else, it birthed Albert Brooks' Lost in America (1985), and for that I am eternally grateful. "Have you seen Easy Rider? Great movie, you gotta see it, it's historic."

But, right on, Brother.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	modern easy.jpg
Views:	2381
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	14093  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Harry and Tonto (Paul Mazursky, 1974)
+

Kramer Vs. Kramer (Robert Benton, 1979)

Cries & Whispers (Ingmar Bergman, 1972)
+

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (Rewatch) (Jim Sharman, 1975)
+

Foul Play (Colin Higgins, 1978)
-

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Pitch Perfect - After much prodding from a few friends, I finally broke down and watched this one. Despite the film's obvious love for The Breakfast Club (a movie that I loathe and could rant about for hours), I had a good time watching it. Lots of funny lines, good music, and Rebel Wilson.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Whoa 3.5 for Cries and Whispers, care to elaborate (in the film club thread )?
If I can gather my thoughts into something even resembling coherence, I'll post in there.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Miss Vicky actually liking an arthouse flick? Nice!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The Next Best Thing (2000)

The film started off as a two; a sort of mediocre rom-com. Yoga instructor Abby (Madonna) has a midlife crisis after yet another loser boyfriend dumps her. After she turns to her gay best friend Robert (Rupert Everett) the two drunkenly end up in bed and all of a sudden Abby's pregnant. Flash-forward (a blink and you'll miss it) and Sam is six years old. When Abby falls in love with banker Ben (Benjamin Bratt) that complicates everything.

It starts off as what the trailer promises- a light rom-com in which Everett is wonderfully charming and Madonna is bland but not too irritating. Then all of a sudden half-way through it becomes a sort of mean sprited tragedy with a cruel and unnecessary twist in which the witty gay best friend is now a poor broken gay man with no prospects. Abby's character becomes irredeemably deceptive and Robert becomes so miserable and pathetic that it's impossible to like anyone and the pace of the film drags until it's a weepy depressing mess. Luckily for Madonna no one could have saved that film so being a bit unconvincing didn't matter so much.

What could have been a nice light-hearted look into 'alternative families' or even, had the writing been up to it, a look at what happens if you sacrifice your romantic life in order to become a parent, becomes a tale of how being gay will always make you second best.

50/50 (Jonathan Levine ,2011)

A beautiful movie about life , frienship , relationship and survival. Awesome flick I LOVE IT .

Knocked Up (Judd Apatow ,2007)

Very nice comedy. Seth Rogen surprise me in this one. the acting is excellent .

21 and Over (Jon Lucas&Scott Moore ,2013)

Very nice decent comedy. Party , frienship and Beer definitely not a movie for all but for me is very nice . Miles Teller Rock .

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows : Part 2 (David Yates ,2011)

The best of the entire series of the Harry Potter movies ... great acting , great ending (of the series) and great direction. Congrats.

Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson ,2012)

I very like this one too , very nice storyline and GREAT acting and casting . Wes Anderson is such an amazing director .

Panic Room (David Fincher ,2002)

One of my favorite director of all time Fincher once again strike in this very nice thriller . good casting and great direction .

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
My watches the past 3 days

Terminator- 7/10

I much prefer the original, but this one was still pretty good action. Not sure why I hadn't gotten around to seeing it until now, but I say that a lot.

Gran Torino- 9.5/10 (rewatch)

A good blend of comedy and drama. Eastwood is a complete badass here, and he never disappoints me. It's too bad my iPad was acting up during this commentary.

The Insider- 7/10

Like I said in another thread, it was good but I honestly expected it to be a bit better. Crowe put up another good performance, but in the year 1999, I still prefer Denzel in The Hurricane. I probably also prefer Spacey and Farnsworth too. It was a good movie, but I've liked better from Mann.

Psycho- 9.5/10

better than I remembered it. So many great scenes in this movie, a film that keeps you on the edge of your seat and is beautifully shot by Mr. Hitchcock. Norman Bates played by Anthony Perkins is perhaps the best villain we have seen on screen.

Fantastic Planet- ?/10

I don't want to give away any opinions until Movie Club thread is posted.

2 Guns- 6/10

I'm a Denzel fanatic, so I finally got around to it. I don't know. It wasn't bad, but there seemed to be something missing. I'll have to see it again at some point, but for now, it's down with the likes of Unstoppable and The Taking of Pelham 123.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Unholy Night (Lionel Barrymore, 1929)

Free and Easy (Edward Sedgwick, 1930)
-
Warm Bodies (Jonathan Levine, 2013)
+
North Dallas Forty (Ted Kotcheff 1979)
-

Wide receiver Nick Nolte and quarterback Mac Davis are more into the sex and drugs than the teamwork their football coaches want, but things may change.
Disconnect (Henry-Alex Rubin, 2013)
+
Guilty Hands (W.S. Van Dyke, 1931)
+
Looking Forward (Clarence Brown, 1933)
-
Arsene Lupin (Jack Conway, 1932)
-

Crook Karen Morley loves Count John Barrymore but works for detective Lionel Barrymore who wants to prove he’s the daring thief Arsene Lupin.
Night Flight (Clarence Brown, 1933)
-
Should Ladies Behave (Harry Beaumont, 1933)

Sweepings (John Cromwell, 1933)

Ip Man (Wilson Yip, 2008)

Yip Man (Donnie Yen) takes on 10 Japanese black belts to appease but show up an occupying general.
A Thousand Words (Brian Robbins, 2012)
+
The Wonderful Country (Robert Parrish, 1959)
-
A Good Day to Die Hard (John Moore, 2013)
+
Ryan’s Daughter (David Lean, 1970)
-

In 1916, Irish village schoolmaster Robert Mitchum courts wild Sarah Miles, and after their marriage, she begins an affair with a British officer.
The Way Way Back (Nat Faxon & Jim Rash, 2013)
+
The Racket (John Cromwell, 1951)

The Steel Helmet (Samuel Fuller, 1951)

Pacific Rim (Guillermo del Toro, 2013)

An art house flick with contemplative longueurs and deep metaphysics amid fights between giant creatures and robots.

It Happened One Night

(Frank Capra, 1934)
-

Capra's predictably warm, optimistic seminal screwball comedy has aged remarkably well, due in no small part to Gable and Colbert's timeless performances.

Mon oncle Antoine

(Claude Jutra, 1971)

Bleak and depressing, and a fairly interesting observation on coming-of-age in a tough environment. Not a whole lot else that I can see.

Holy Motors

(Leos Carax, 2012)

I could try to sum this up by talking about metaphors for the life of an actor, or how we "act" in everyday life, or a whole host of other readings, but none of it seems good enough. Just enjoy the visceral blast of creativity and imagination. It defies logic.

The Big Lebowski

(Rewatch. Joel & Ethan Coen, 1998)
-

Just keeps on giving.

Alice in the Cities

(Wim Wenders, 1974)
+

Complex, believable characterisations and heartfelt performances combine to make an extremely memorable experience. Watch this for the 70s countdown!

You know I love The Big Lebowski and so I am continually delighted when you now rate it so highly, definitely a film that holds up/gets better on repeat viewings. I am a fan of Holy Motors and I think it was HK who also recommended me to check out Alice in the Cities, so I will definitely try to now for the 70s list.

Let the night air cool you off
I watched some pretty heavy hitters recently.

Get Carter (1971; Mike Hodges) -

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972; Luis Bunuel) -

4:44 Last Day on Earth (2011; Abel Ferrara) -

Barry Lyndon (1975; Stanley Kubrick) -

The Godfather (1972; Francis Ford Coppola) -

Death Race 2000 (1975; Paul Bartel) -

The Omega Man (1971; Boris Sagal) -

A couple of shorts too

Henpecked Hoboes (1946; Tex Avery) -

Screwball Squirrel (1944; Tex Avery) -

April, 2014 movies watched-

The Werckmeister Harmonies (2000)
It's just not the type of movie I can fully appreciate, but I'm glad I watched it

The Long Goodbye (1973)
Very cool and Elliott Gould was great

The Apartment (1960)
Terrific mix of comedy, drama, and romance with great performances from Lemmon and MacLaine

Spring Breakers (2012)
I liked the concept but not realistic enough for a drama

Patton (1970)
Really good movie with a great performance from George C. Scott

The Gunfighter (1950)
This classic western starring Gregory Peck is a very easy watch

Sleeper (1973)
A little zany for my liking, but plenty of laughs

All the President's Men (1976)
Superbly crafted and acted with no waste

The Searchers (1956)
I know it's held in high esteem, but there was just as much I didn't like, as I did like

Coming Home (1978)
I don't know how I missed this all these years. Two of the best performances I've ever seen from Jon Voight and Jane Fonda

The Shooting (1966)
Short western with not a whole lot to it, but it's a very solid film with a great ending

An American in Paris (1951)
There's nothing wrong with this movie; it's just not for me

The Iceman (2012)
It's a good movie, but it doesn't do anything to make it memorable*

The Beguiled (1971)
This unique Clint Eastwood movie is freaky, creepy, kind of disturbing, and very good

Twelve Monkeys (1995)
I liked this, but overall, I'm not a fan of Terry Gilliam movies

Don't Look Now (1973)
Donald Sutherland is very good in this creepy British horror film, but it's very slow*

Harold and Maude (1971)
Unique and funny; I enjoyed it but didn't love it

Modern Times (1936)
My first Chaplin film; I went from being amused to enjoying it very much

Jaws (1975)
Repeat viewing- This classic has aged incredibly well

The China Syndrome (1979)
Good cast, but this was just ok for me

The Philadelphia Story (1940)
Not my kind of movie but the cast made it very enjoyable*

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
I'm not into fantasy, but I really liked this movie

Witness for the Prosecution (1957)
2nd viewing, Love this movie, especially love Charles Laughton in it

Paper Moon (1973)
Very sweet movie that grew on me; great performances from the O'Neals

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
Tough to rate because it's just too old for me; my problem, not the film's

Nights of Cabiria (1957)
There wasn't anything I disliked about this movie, but there wasn't anything that I particularly liked either. Well made though

When Harry met Sally (1989)
I enjoyed it the whole way through; nothing special, but it was good

The Sound of Music (1965)
This all time classic was just torture for me

Wait Until Dark (1967)
Terrific, crafty thriller with great performances from Audrey Hepburn and Alan Arkin. Richard Crenna is also very good

Oz the Great and Powerful (2013)
Not bad, I thought it had it's moments

The Aviator (2004)
An all around impressive movie that I thought was very good for a one time watch

It Happened one Night (1934)
I loved it, maybe my new favorite romantic comedy. Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert were great

The Way Way Back (2013)
I know that it's not as good as I'm rating it; I just liked it so much

Kids (1995)
I like movies like this, although it falls a little short of being very good. It has it's merits

Tony (2009)
Worth a watch if you would like a gritty British film about a serial killer

Manhattan (1979)
My fifth Allen film; like the others, witty and enjoyable, with plenty of great performances

McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971)
I liked it and can't think of any negatives; it didn't grab me though

Stalker (1979)
It looks great and I enjoyed it overall. Still, not my kind of movie

A Woman Under the Influence (1974)
Powerful and realistic look at mental illness with great performances from Rowlands and Falk. It does drag at times

The Way We Were (1973)
Streisand, Redford, and the theme song are great, but there's nothing else

The Shootist (1976)
A surprisingly touching Western featuring an awesome performance from John Wayne, and a great supporting cast

Grand Hotel (1932)
There's nothing wrong with this movie; I just couldn't get into it

The Andromeda Strain (1971)
Pretty good deadly virus movie from the top 100 Sci-Fi list

Walkabout (1971)
Beautiful, captivating, and freaky; this is a movie I won't forget

Suspiria (1977)
Creepy with great visuals and music

Movies watched year to date-
January-46
February-37
March-45
April-45
Total-173

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Particularly glad you enjoyed Witness for the Prosecution and It Happened One Night. Both are favs of mine! And glad you don't like Spring Breakers!

Nymphomaniac Volume 1 & 2 (2014)

What can I say.. very dirty film and very pretentious.It was interesting to watch it because it's quite original and I wanted to see how far it can go.I kind of liked the character development and the idea of a damaged person who is never at peace and probably never will be. But Trier's decision to tell the story the way he did and especially Seligman's allegories to Joe's life story was just stupid and too fake to be believable,interesting or touching.
for both.