6. Dorothy Moore - Misty Blue
  7. Men at Work - Overkill
  8. Billy Ocean - Suddenly
  9. Jim Croce - Bad Bad Leroy Brown
  10. Lights - Toes
  11. Sail Away - Randy Newman

R8 nom:
Phoebe Killdeer and the Short Straws - The Fade Out Line

Yet another track from Big Little Lies. Excellent soundtrack throughout, IMO.

Round 7

1. Jim Croce - Bad Bad Leroy Brown
2. Lola Marsh - She's a Rainbow
3. Estelle - American Boy [Feat. Kanye West]
4. Billy Ocean - Suddenly
5. Lights - Toes
6. Dorothy Moore - Misty Blue
7. Men at Work - Overkill
8. Sail Away - Randy Newman
9. Quantic presenta Flowering Inferno - Cumbia Sobre El Mar
10. Pusha T - Santeria
11. Alabama Shakes - This Feeling

Sadly no votes from Captain Spaulding but on we must go....

1st - Dorothy Moore - Misty Blue (88 pts)

2nd - Estelle - American Boy [Feat. Kanye West] (79 pts)
3rd - Jim Croce - Bad Bad Leroy Brown (68 pts)
4th - Quantic presenta Flowering Inferno - Cumbia Sobre El Mar (63 pts)
5th - Men at Work - Overkill (60 pts)
6th - Billy Ocean - Suddenly (58 pts)
7th - Alabama Shakes - This Feeling (56 pts)
8th - Lola Marsh - She's a Rainbow (51 pts)
9th - Lights - Toes (50 pts)
10th - Pusha T - Santeria (45 pts)
11th - Sail Away - Randy Newman (42 pts)

Grats to John-Connor on getting his tune through to the final

Round eight up in the song tourney equivalent of a trice...

John-Connor takes a breather whilst Captain Spaulding is presumably otherwise occupied disposing of evidence so just the nine of us playing this round...

1. Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
  2. Led Zeppelin - Ramble On
  3. Electric Light Orchestra - Mr. Blue Sky
  4. Phoebe Killdeer and the Short Straws - The Fade Out Line
  5. Graveyard - Please Don't
  6. Sonny James - Young Love
  7. Balance of Power - Chemical Imbalance
  8. Queensryche - Best I Can
  9. Moby - My Weakness

My R9 nom:
Miriam Makeba - Orlando

Electric Light Orchestra - Mr. Blue Sky - I like to nominate Mr Blue Sky on days where the sun is really shining here because it makes me feel good. Naturally today isn't a nice sunny day, but I hope it is where you are and you enjoy it.

Graveyard - Please Don't - I'm definitely liking this.

Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water - Classic. I assume everyone who knows this song started humming the opening riff the moment they read the title?

Led Zeppelin - Ramble On - Another classic. This is going to be tough.

Sonny James - Young Love - Another good song. I'm not sure how I''m going to rank these today. Thankfully Queensryche is next so that should make things a bit easier. Although it's not even as if they're bad, just not really something I care much for.

Balance of Power - Chemical Imbalance - This was pretty good. In another round this would do better, but today's been one of the best rounds for me that I can remember.

Queensryche - Best I Can - In another round this would do better than its going to here. I couldn't get the idea out of my head that this is what an ramped up 80's Gillette ad would've sounded like.

Phoebe Killdeer and the Short Straws - The Fade Out Line - This was OK and didn't outstay its welcome.

Moby - My Weakness - Sorry, but I really didn't need that tone in my ear today.

A system of cells interlinked
1 Queensryche - Best I Can - Shameless favoritism for my entry...

2 Electric Light Orchestra - Mr. Blue Sky - I wonder if, back in the summer of 1976, Mr. Lynn took too many quaaludes. He found himself immobilized on a mangy couch, while Abbey Road was stuck on repeat on one of those mid-70s turn tables with the fancy new auto-replay features. After a 34 hour fugue state, he rose from his stupor and shambled outside. Once there, his eyes squinting in the bright sunlight, he looked up and said "well...hello Mr. Bluesky!" He then lurched next door to the music studio, looking like a real life incarnation of Phenous T. Freak, of Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers fame, sat down, and wrote his biggest hit. The song could easily have appeared on the aforementioned Beatles masterwork - it is that derivative, and that good.

3 Balance of Power - Chemical Imbalance - A tad too symphonic for my taste, but has a ripping solo and some tasty riffs.

4 Moby - My Weakness - This immediately transported me back to the mid-90s Boston rave scene, when i was spinning records at all-night trance parties and driving home with giant pupils.

5 Led Zeppelin - Ramble On - I love Zep, but there are several tunes of theirs I never need to hear again. This is one of them.

6 Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water - Ditto with this band.

7 Graveyard - Please Don't - Speaking of the 70s, when I was about 5 years old, my mother, who was a little hippy chick, lived behind a bar called the Oxbow in Tucson AZ. They had a pinball machine, a pool table, and your usual collective of day drinkers that would sit around inside smoking cigarettes and drinking **** beer, only emerging to take a piss just outside the back door because some other drunk was in the bathroom at the time, refusing to come out for some reason or another. My Mom would sometimes hang around at this bar, and because it was the 70s, I was allowed to hang around with her, playing pinball, or just watching the drunks. At night, a band would play. This band had a fat drummer with bad pattern baldness, a big biker for a singer, donned in leather vest, dirty jeans, and big black boots, and some skinny guitarist that looked like he hadn't eaten in weeks. This song immediately reminded me of that band.

8 Phoebe Killdeer and the Short Straws - The Fade Out Line - Smokey lounge music that didn't do anything for me.

9 Sonny James - Young Love - Not my thing!

Congrats, John-Connor! That may be the prettiest song in the game so far.

Round 8 list:

1. Moby - My Weakness
2. Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
3. Sonny James - Young Love
4. Led Zeppelin - Ramble On
5. Balance of Power - Chemical Imbalance
6. Phoebe Killdeer and the Short Straws - The Fade Out Line
7. Queensryche - Best I Can
8. Electric Light Orchestra - Mr. Blue Sky
9. Graveyard - Please Don't

I've heard four of these songs before, three of which I love, so voting should be quick and easy.

Queensryche - Best I Can - In another round this would do better than its going to here. I couldn't get the idea out of my head that this is what an ramped up 80's Gillette ad would've sounded like.
LOL
Talk about a missed opportunity.

For what it's worth, Queensryche and the Empire album are great, but it's not my favorite track from it.

A system of cells interlinked
LOL
Talk about a missed opportunity.

For what it's worth, Queensryche and the Empire album are great, but it's not my favorite track from it.
In a previous tournament, I tried to put Empire up, but it didn't do well. Operation Mindcrime did better, and in fact, may have won a round, but not the whole shebang. My favorite QR record is Mindcrime, followed closely by Rage for Order. Empire would probably rank third for me.

In a previous tournament, I tried to put Empire up, but it didn't do well. Operation Mindcrime did better, and in fact, may have won a round, but not the whole shebang. My favorite QR record is Mindcrime, followed closely by Rage for Order. Empire would probably rank third for me.
Operation Mindcrime did indeed win its round (Rd 8 of the Song For March 2019). No kittehs were mercilessly saddened that day

Finished 11th (of 14) in the Final.