Your take on downloading movies

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Perhaps the chair was a bad analogy in some ways, since a physical chair is not quite the same as an idea or movie. Off the cuff I couldn't come up with an appropriate analogy. My point was to just put the thought out there that perhaps it is actually *wrong* to duplicate things unlawfully rather than paying for them -- to evoke the same feeling for one set of workers as others get all the time by default.

Og, as for your point (which I didn't address specifically, now that I reread some posts and explanations) ... I agree with you on that one! Yes, if this is changing and editing that is going on without the knowledge of the screenwriter/director/etc., and is done solely to have a "cleaned up" version, then NO. It's copyright infringement. My example DOES hold then, because you would never get away with the analogous situation in the publishing world: No one's allowed to take your copyrighted novel and edit it down without your permission just to take out the parts they don't like. That too is copyright infringement.

I also know authors who haven't liked the way their books are abridged for audiobooks, BUT they and their agents have signed agreements for this stuff and decided to grit their teeth and bare it in order to get the audiobooks made. (This is an author who routinely writes 1000-page books and that gets too costly to do sometimes on audiobook. She reluctantly agreed to an abridgement but had no say in how it was abridged. She regretted it later. BUT, it was legal -- she agreed to it in writing through her agent.)

Didn't see it.
Your take on downloading movies
-- Same as music -- It is wrong. Prosecute.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Escape
If I bought this chair off of this craftsman and with advanced technology, duplicated it to give to my friends, then i'm sorry but that isn't stealing. The physical properties of this chair is now mine and i can do as i like with it. Your example is unfair as it is implying actually removing the chair from the property of the craftsman in the first place without his consent. If the craftsman doesn't want his ideas to be taken, then he can't have it available to buy. I'm totally against somebody copying a movie of which they didn't buy, from a theatre then making copies and giving it away to millions on the net as it isn't his in the first place to give away. But when it comes to buying a dvd, then copying it, i can't call it stealing. But an artist or a filmaker has the right to come up with disks that cannot be copied as long as it's theirs and i'm actually hoping one day they will have something available to prevent it from being duplicated. I really do.

Actually, one time somebody gave me a copy of Spiderman 2 before it hit theatres, and i promised myself if i were to watch it, i would go see it at the cinema and buy the dvd when it came out to ease my conscience. And i did hold to my own agreement.
Escape, it is totally legal for you to make a back-up copy of your DVDs and CDs. Jumping on a file sharing network and snagging a bunch of films without paying for them IS stealing. Also, it isn't illeagal for you to make a copy of a chair, as there aren't any laws against it, where there ARE national INTERPOL laws as well as US federal laws prohibiting the illegal copying and distribution of these materials in question. No matter what justification or loopholes people attempt to cite, they are breaking a law. They just are, there isn't any point in diuscussing this stuff. It is really quite black and white.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by jamesglewisf
--Prosecute.
Babies! I smell a diapy change.

I do not agree with down loading at all. But come on...
Ha ha ha...
Prosecute?
What the devil? It's not like these music and movie kings and queens are in the free government cheese line going hungry. Let's face the truth here kids.
Down loading is quick fix to someone's movie high and it's here to stay and the bootleggers are going to make themselves hard and wet doing it.

And this is my BOOMstick!
Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
Babies! I smell a diapy change.

I do not agree with down loading at all. But come on...
Ha ha ha...
Prosecute?
What the devil? It's not like these music and movie kings and queens are in the free government cheese line going hungry. Let's face the truth here kids.
Down loading is quick fix to someone's movie high and it's here to stay and the bootleggers are going to make themselves hard and wet doing it.
What he said, but with less verbal imagery.

Tom Waits is the true GOD
What makes people think downloading movies is okay? Do you justify it by saying dvd prices are way too expensive? Does this make it okay for you to steal a c.d. from the music store because you think Ludacris' latest album should be 12.99 instead of 19.99. It's another excuse people use because they are cheapskates....... You can make any excuse you want, but STEALING is STEALING, plain and simple.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yup. It's a free country and nothing's stopping you from going out and getting rich the same way the "movie kings and queens" did. If you don't, I don't see how that's their fault. I may not agree with how much money flows into the entertainment industry, but it doesn't justify anyone else's greediness in stealing what does not belong to him.

The only time I ever downloaded movies was years ago when I first went off to college and it was a only a couple movies. I'm not against it but I haven't done it since and will never do it again. Now I've got a decent sized DVD collection of around 230 DVDs. Anything I would even want to download I would buy anyway.

Originally Posted by eyeballkid
What makes people think downloading movies is okay? Do you justify it by saying dvd prices are way too expensive? Does this make it okay for you to steal a c.d. from the music store because you think Ludacris' latest album should be 12.99 instead of 19.99. It's another excuse people use because they are cheapskates....... You can make any excuse you want, but STEALING is STEALING, plain and simple.
Well not really, at least for me...If I d/l a movie and I like it then I buy it on DVD, If I dont I delete it and thats that. Oh well I never said I was normal???

I believe downloading will finally allow for truly independent filmmaking. Allowing filmmakers to bypass the studios for distribution will be a big breakthrough. Downloading will do the same for independent filmmakers that it did for independent music. `ovationfinancial.com

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
while i understand that downloading movies is bad fr the industry thats not why i dont do it. I dont download cause it takes too bloody long on my comp.

The only bootleg I've ever bought was a copy of Jet Li's Fearless, which I got on Ebay for about five dollars. This was a few months before the U.S. theatrical release. I loved it, saw it opening day when it hit theaters in Houston, and will buy the official DVD the day it hits shelves. So, piracy doesn't always hurt studios, but probably does in most cases.

here are some really heated arguments! LOL

I dl movies all the time -get dvd copies too sometimes

going to the movies and buying dvds in UK is expensive

Let's consider the artists- yeah right, let's see Tom Cruise or Jim Carrey(to name 2) taking a smaller fee so more investment is made for the smaller guys.

The fees for these big stars and the return of big movies cannot possibly be affected by a few million dls

Small independent movies - well yeah, that's a different matter, let your conscience be your guide here

Anyone old enough to remember the first videos -the movie industry (the big guys) were complaining it was the end of the movie industry, nobody would go to the cinema any more. PPl would tape from tv

They got in on the act and wadda know it's okay

When dvds came out it was the same story- maybe they're just a bit slow, but they could use internet dling to their advantage

BTW does anyone know if dling is illegal in UK-I know conterfeiting(sp) and bootlegging is, but don't know for sure about internet dling

Originally Posted by juno101
here are some really heated arguments! LOL

I dl movies all the time -get dvd copies too sometimes

going to the movies and buying dvds in UK is expensive

Let's consider the artists- yeah right, let's see Tom Cruise or Jim Carrey(to name 2) taking a smaller fee so more investment is made for the smaller guys.

The fees for these big stars and the return of big movies cannot possibly be affected by a few million dls

Small independent movies - well yeah, that's a different matter, let your conscience be your guide here

Anyone old enough to remember the first videos -the movie industry (the big guys) were complaining it was the end of the movie industry, nobody would go to the cinema any more. PPl would tape from tv

They got in on the act and wadda know it's okay

When dvds came out it was the same story- maybe they're just a bit slow, but they could use internet dling to their advantage

BTW does anyone know if dling is illegal in UK-I know conterfeiting(sp) and bootlegging is, but don't know for sure about internet dling

Well I have always heard them say that downloading does not hurt the artist but the people behind the movie....the little guys, so its like they put all this work into it and then people downloading at take away from there paycheck.

and I would assume that it probably is illegal to download in the UK too.

Downloading movies is a crime when you have a profit out of it and I belive that everybody who has ever Downloaded a movie just share it with the rest of the world for free and what do you care if some movie company will lose a million or 2

its like music, personally, If I download songs and i like enough of them, I'll go out and buy the CD
and movies if I see the movie and i like it a lot
ill go out and buy it, so i can see all the special features and all that other good stuff too
its just a great way to preview things.
terrible movies that dont sell for the asking price of 20 bucks are quick to blame it on pirating. But if the movies great, then there usually isnt a problem
they expect us to settle for mediocrity
check em all out

I download movies, my reason, i live in the middle of nowhere..the closest cinema is over 200km away, the only thing i have is my net connection, so tell me if i am right or wrong. If i want to see the latest cinema release it costs me in the region of about 50 pound for just me to see!
People who live in the big cities shouldn't download, but for us country bumpkins, we really have no choice ok

Originally Posted by mattisdown
its like music, personally, If I download songs and i like enough of them, I'll go out and buy the CD
and movies if I see the movie and i like it a lot
ill go out and buy it, so i can see all the special features and all that other good stuff too
its just a great way to preview things.
terrible movies that dont sell for the asking price of 20 bucks are quick to blame it on pirating. But if the movies great, then there usually isnt a problem
they expect us to settle for mediocrity

I guess thats one way to look at it, I just don't see the point in all that work, when you can just pay for it.

These are basically my views...

When a movie has finished being in the theaters, there is that very annoying time between when it is done in theaters and when it comes out in movie rental stores.

Also, whats the point of going out and having to pay for movies, when you can get them on your computer, burn them to disk and its all free?

My whole family are piraters, are very proud of it, and COMPLETELY support downloading anything we can get our hands on off the internet.

Thank you, and keep downloading. Smoke weed and download everyday