Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

See, I felt strangely unemotional watching it. Instead of that direct-emotion impressionist hit, I just felt detached. I wanted to appreciate the abrupt editing and the POV elements, but it didn't cohere for me. It's like I needed the film to either be weirder or more grounded, and the place it landed between those two poles didn't work for me.
I can see that.*

I think it's place between Aguirre and Heart of Glass (which was then followed by Stroszek) put me in the right Herzog headspace for it to work with me. It's probably the least striking of those films but it was riding a cinematic wave and it didn't disrupt the flow.

I can see that.*

I think it's place between Aguirre and Heart of Glass (which was then followed by Stroszek) put me in the right Herzog headspace for it to work with me. It's probably the least striking of those films but it was riding a cinematic wave and it didn't disrupt the flow.
Fair enough.

As much as I enjoy Herzog as a person, his films have always seemed to have less impact on me than they do on my fellow movie watchers.

Fair enough.

As much as I enjoy Herzog as a person, his films have always seemed to have less impact on me than they do on my fellow movie watchers.
What all have you seen? While I can understand his films being polarizing, I feel like his documentary work should be far more unanimously impactful.

What all have you seen? While I can understand his films being polarizing, I feel like his documentary work should be far more unanimously impactful.
I've seen:

Aguirre (Christmas Eve confession: it bored me to tears and I fell asleep while watching it--not at night, during the day, and when I woke up
WARNING: spoilers below
everyone was gone and it was just the main dude and the monkey
and I did not rewind to see what I had missed.)

Enigma of Kaspar Hauser

Little Dieter Needs to Fly

Grizzly Man (I think this is legit great)

Rescue Dawn

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans (okay, forgot he directed this and I straight up love it).

My Son My Son What Have Ye Done? (Um, also really liked this one)

Into the Abyss (Also great)

So maybe it's more that I was underwhelmed by Aguirre and Kaspar Hauser. I agree that the documentary stuff is uniformly very strong and moving.

Rewatched these

The Public Eye (1992) 3.5/5

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) 4/5

A Perfect Murder (1998) 3.5/5

Aguirre was a little like blade runner for me, the more I watched them the more appreciation I found for them. My love for blade runner is far superior but I still watch Aguirrre now and again. The sleep inducing aspect of both movies I certainly get.I had the Herzog box set and the relationship between him and Klaus Kinksi was fascinating and summed up brilliantly in documentary my best fiend. That, grizzly man and into the abyss are the only docs I’ve seen of his, all great and I’ll have to invest in watching more.

Terror train (1980) 6.2/10

Run of the mill slasher but with enough uniqueness to make this movie standout, taking place on a train and with a higher class of teens in that they were Med students. David Copperfield has a large roll for goodness sake. I can’t actually believe John Alcott was the cinematographer, it wasn’t a particularly great to look at but then he didn’t have much to work with to be fair. With him being Kubrick’s right man for ‘the Shining, 2001: A space odyssey, and a clockwork orange. Then terror train haha, mind blowing.

Not sure why this movie was so hard to find given its impressive box office results, and cast and crew involved. This is basically Halloween on a train, Jamie-Lee Curtis’s role as protagonist confirms this.

Aguirre is one of my favorite movies. One thing I've always wondered about it, though, is
how did he stay alive while everyone else died? My theory is that he has no conscience. As we've seen lately, those who have no conscience tend to live unnaturally long lives.

Victim of The Night
Justice League: The New Frontier - This is from 2008 and hadn't aired on cable since it's release in that year. CN reran it in conjunction with the release of Wonder Woman 1984. This is part of the Bruce Timm/DCAU verse so it's a quality project. It takes place a short time after the Korean War and involves a mysterious entity called The Centre which is, of course, bent on humanity's destruction. It's actual identity is eventually revealed but I won't give it away. The movie is packed with comic characters including most of the Justice League (No Hawkgirl though) and the final showdown features quite a few additional characters. Some of which rang very faint bells. I did have flashbacks of sorts with the Blackhawk Squadron and Adam Strange but I had to dig around to actually nail down their names. This may not be as good as some of the more recent entries in the DCAU but it's still a fun and nostalgic ride. 80/100
No Hawkgirl?!
Minus ten points.

Victim of The Night
Terror train (1980) 6.2/10

Run of the mill slasher but with enough uniqueness to make this movie standout, taking place on a train and with a higher class of teens in that they were Med students. David Copperfield has a large roll for goodness sake. I can’t actually believe John Alcott was the cinematographer, it wasn’t a particularly great to look at but then he didn’t have much to work with to be fair. With him being Kubrick’s right man for ‘the Shining, 2001: A space odyssey, and a clockwork orange. Then terror train haha, mind blowing.

Not sure why this movie was so hard to find given its impressive box office results, and cast and crew involved. This is basically Halloween on a train, Jamie-Lee Curtis’s role as protagonist confirms this.
One of my favorites. At or near the top of the second tier of Slashers for me.

Life (2015)

The 1950s in the U.S. was a magical decade, comparable only to the 1920s in its prosperity, innovation, and a national sense of well-being. At the same time there was a growing mutation away from the WWII era, and the youth were looking to depart from their parents’ mores, and to forge new territory in the arts, politics and fashion.

There was no one who personified that shift, that modernity, than did James Dean. In the space of 17 months he captured the mood and affection of a generation in 3 films:
East of Eden, Rebel Without A Cause, and Giant-- the last two released after Dean’s early tragic death in a horrific auto accident at aged 24.

Dean had done quite a bit of TV from 1951 to 1955, and had some minor uncredited roles in a few films.
But getting the role of the tortured brother in a story set in Salinas, California in 1917 really got the attention of Jack Warner at Warner Brothers, who wanted him for the lead in the upcoming Rebel Without A Cause.

This is the setting for the story of this picture. Dean had met an up-and-coming photographer,
Dennis Stock, who worked for a prominent photography agency in New York City, and was looking for a way to get attention and build his portfolio. Stock had the idea of doing a feature photo essay on Dean, who was capturing the contemporary youth by his emotional performance in the just released East of Eden. Dean wasn’t that interested at first, but a friendship developed, and each man saw in the other a mutual method of advancing their careers. It took awhile for both Stock’s manager and Dean to get behind the project.

The movie is about that brief time period
as Dean and Stock traveled from NYC to Los Angeles to Indiana, where Dean had been reared.Their friendship is explored, but the chief object of the film seemed to be the circumstances that set up and performed each of Stock’s iconic photos of Dean, including the most famous of all, showing Dean walking toward the camera with an overcoat and turned up collar with a cigarette resting in his mouth, set in Times Square during a cold winter’s drizzle.

The film is absorbing right from the beginning, especially if one is familiar with Dean’s life and career. Robert Pattinson as Stock turns in a nuanced performance which
revealed Stock’s burning desire to succeed in contrast to his inability to be a family man and nurture his son. Dane DeHaan as Dean had the task of impersonating the iconic Dean while representing to the audience the star’s idiosyncratic personality. His very vague resemblance to Dean helped, although he was slightly baby faced, but his portrayal seemed more of a respectful caricature. DeHaan’s Dean focused mostly on Dean’s unconventional and sometimes incoherent manner, and never really showed more sides to the character.

A bio-drama which purports to dramatize a relatively brief period in two famous character’s lives is not an easy task, and screen writer Luke Davies came close, but in the end it was a little too jumbled, and the different strains of story lines veered off from each other, leaving the viewer with a feeling of incompleteness in its finality.

Dean was a fascinating character in his short burning hot
life; and Stock went on to be one of the most famous photographers in the U.S., living to the age of 81. To re-visit Dean’s career and to be impressed by some of Stock’s famous photos of Dean made the movie worth watching. Had the writing been a little more tucked in, and with a slightly more accurate Dean, this could have been a notable picture.

Doc’s rating: 6/10

Dard Divorce (2007)

Decent and pretty well made, for a low budget extreme film. It's from a German horror director so I was surprised when it was in English and set in America. As expected it was brutally violent, but it also had a plot to follow and keep me guessing. Not much but these movies don't always have that.

A Christmas Carol - Ran across this 1984 made for TV film last night while channel surfing. It stars George C. Scott as Scrooge and David Warner as Bob Cratchit. There are numerous British stage actors sprinkled throughout like Edward Woodward as The Ghost of Christmas Present and Frank Finlay as Jacob Marley. This doesn't deviate from other cinematic versions or the novel in any significant way but there are still notable differences starting with Scott in the pivotal role. It's a slightly more grounded portrayal with his Scrooge more of a tired cynic than a full blown miser. He's still notoriously tight fisted but his actions are somehow made clearer if not exactly defensible. And he's also exceedingly clever and prepared for the onslaught from the three specters and therefore harder to reach. His redemption is left in doubt far longer than the other two versions I've seen.

This is a fine and solid adaptation with first-rate production values and an accomplished cast. Scott attempts something a little bit different with his interpretation and largely succeeds. 85/100

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Out of Sight (Lennie Weinrib, 1966)
5/10
Leap (Robert C. Derteno, 2018)
6/10
It Happened on Fifth Avenue (Roy Del Ruth, 1947)
6.5/10
We Can Be Heroes (Robert Rodriguez, 2020)
6/10

Super Heroes' kids come to the rescue when their parents are captured by invading aliens.
Skylines (Liam O'Donnell, 2020)
5/10
Leap (Peter Chan, 2020)
6.5/10
Yourself and Yours (Hong Sang-soo, 2016)
5/10
Soul (Pete Docter, 2020)
7+/10

Band teacher/jazz pianist finds his soul heading upward on the biggest day of his life.
Forget Everything You Have Ever Seen: The World of Santa Sangre (David Gregory, 2011)
6.5/10
Intersection (Samuel Bartlett, 2020)
+ 4.5/10
Calibre (Matthew Palmer 2018)
6/10
The King and the Mockingbird (Paul Grimault, 1980)
7/10

Egomaniacal king uses his citizens as slaves and tries to marry someone else's sweetheart, so a wise mockingbird has to come to save everyone.
Starfish (Bill Clark, 2016)
6/10
Trail of Ashes (Arturo Lizardi, 2020)
5/10
Lost Angelas (William Wayne, 2019)
5.5/10
Meet Me in St. Louis (Vincente Minnelli, 1944)
+ 7.5/10

Margaret O'Brien and Judy Garland in one of the most famous scenes in movie history.
Burrow (Madeline Sharafian, 2020)
- 7/10
The Projectionist (Abel Ferrara, 2019)
- 6.5/10
Modern Persuasion (Alex Appel & Jonathan Lisecki, 2020)
5.5/10
Glory (Kristina Grozeva & Petar Valchanov, 2016)
6.5/10

Honest railroad trackman Stefan Denolyubov does a good deed, so the Bulgarian government names him a hero which leads to all kinds of bad things.

I think that my definition of warfare is simply different from yours. I think of warfare as the state of engaging in military combat with an opposing force.

It is true that in the film a soldier following orders from a superior leads to a (possibly temporary) "net positive" in the sense that in that moment more lives are saved than lost.

But even if you count him delivering the message as a "win" (and I'd argue that the emotion I felt as he delivered the message was relief, not triumph), I don't think that it overcomes the message delivered by many characters throughout the film of "Why are we even here?"; "Look what this is doing to the land/people"; "We'll probably just die tomorrow"; and the trauma that is clearly being inflicted on the lead character in performing his actions.

I think that the actions of the main character do have a positive impact, but I don't think you can say anything positive about the warfare itself--namely the giant military conflict within he is operating. Especially because the problem he is solving--troops heading for an ambush--is itself part of the war. Without the warfare there is no ambush in the first place.

If a film showed a lot of people taking hard drugs and within that film a person saved another person from overdosing, I wouldn't say that was drug culture having a positive impact. I would say that it was an individual within that drug culture doing a positive thing for someone else. Not at all the same.
Whether Schofield carrying out his orders as a member of an at-war military force qualifies as him engaging in an aspect of warfare is a whole other discussion, one that I'd be happy to have later i(f necessary), but the film explicitly shows him engaging in combat by killing enemy troops at certain points, which was necessary for him to do in order to save the lives of his fellow soldiers, so that still counts as 1917 showing a positive achievement that the warfare accomplished in the film, and disqualifies it from ultimately feeling anti-war to me. At any rate, I think this disagreement is born out of the different ways that we're defining what is and isn't an "anti-war" movie, as, for me, it isn't determined at all by a spectrum of how horrifying the warfare is depicted in the film, since the horrors of war are so unavoidable in the first place.

I mean, I rewatched Saving Private Ryan just last month, and its depiction of its warfare is far more graphic and intense than not only 1917's, but also any other War movie I've ever seen, with an overwhelming level of gore that probably would've nabbed the film an NC-17 rating if it hadn't had the historical justification for it, and a story that involves a bunch of main characters dying in order to to reluctantly save one random total stranger, and I still don't consider it to ultimately be an anti-war film because its warfare ends up saving Ryan so he can live a "good", long life, so if that doesn't qualify, it wouldn't make sense for me to include another War film where one character dies in the process of saving 1,600 (including his own friend's brother), y'know?

Whether Schofield carrying out his orders as a member of an at-war military force qualifies as him engaging in an aspect of warfare is a whole other discussion, one that I'd be happy to have later i(f necessary), but the film explicitly shows him engaging in combat by killing enemy troops at certain points, which was necessary for him to do in order to save the lives of his fellow soldiers, so that still counts as 1917 showing a positive achievement that the warfare accomplished in the film, and disqualifies it from ultimately feeling anti-war to me. At any rate, I think this disagreement is born out of the different ways that we're defining what is and isn't an "anti-war" movie, as, for me, it isn't determined at all by a spectrum of how horrifying the warfare is depicted in the film, since the horrors of war are so unavoidable in the first place.
I agree that due to the strict/subjective POV of the film, we are on Schofield's side and thus we are invested in him succeeding in his mission.

I understand what you're saying about "traditional warfare" (ie the killing of enemy soldiers) being part of how he ultimately accomplishes his goal. But both moments of killing an enemy come from reflexive self-preservation and the specific circumstances of both killings seem to drive home the pointlessness of the war in the first place and the trauma that is being inflicted on the main character.

There are films that take place in war that highlight the bravery of a character, but this film is probably the least celebratory of that sub-genre that I've seen. The events of the film are devastating to the main characters and to pretty much every other character we encounter. To me it is anti-war not because it is graphic or "realistic" about the unpleasant elements of war, but because even as I wanted the main character to survive and succeed in his mission, the movie never stopped reminding me the price that he was paying and what a tremendous waste the entire War was. The main character's "reward" at the end of the film is just that he gets to stop for a moment.

I suppose you could say that it would be more anti-war if
he truly failed the mission and the whole regiment died in the ambush. But part of what I thought was impactful about the film was the fact that despite him succeeding, it was clear that the men might still lose their lives and at the best he might have bought them a brief reprieve.

There are a lot of real life situations where wrong or immoral things can have some positive effects. I don't think that those small positives in any way justify the larger immoral action.