Best Supporting Actor 2019

Tools    

Your choice for Oscar's Best Supporting Actor?
57.89%
11 votes
Mahershala Ali, GREEN BOOK
5.26%
1 votes
Adam Driver, BLACKkKLANSMAN
26.32%
5 votes
Sam Elliott, A STAR IS BORN
10.53%
2 votes
Richard E. Grant, CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME?
0%
0 votes
Sam Rockwell, VICE
19 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The nominees for best performance by an actor in a supporting role...

Mahershala Ali, Green Book
Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman
Sam Elliott, A Star is Born
Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Sam Rockwell, Vice
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Mahershala has this in the bag. It would be great if Sam Elliot surprises and takes it.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

This might just do nobody any good.
As good as Cooper and Gaga are in the movie, the look on Elliott’s face after dropping his brother off at the house near the end of the movie is the single best thing in A Star is Born.

Definitely rooting for him.

As good as Cooper and Gaga are in the movie, the look on Elliott’s face after dropping his brother off at the house near the end of the movie is the single best thing in A Star is Born.

Definitely rooting for him.
So am I, but this is going to Ali.

An honest reaction.
'A Star Is Born' Actor Sam Elliot On His First Oscar Nomination: 'It's About F-ing Time'

Oscar nominations were announced early Tuesday (Jan. 22), and A Star Is Born received a total of eight nominations, including Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Sound Mixing, Best Actress (Lady Gaga), Best Original Song ("Shallow"), and Best Actor (Bradley Cooper). Additionally Sam Elliott, who plays Cooper's brother, got his first-ever Oscar nomination after a 50-year career, going up against Mahershala Ali and Adam Driver for Best Supporting Actor.

“I think the thing off the top of my head might be, ‘It’s about fu*king time,'” he joked to Deadline following the news. “Beyond that, it’s really about the work; it’s just about the creative process. It’s great to be recognized for that, that’s really all it’s about.”

Elliott began his career in 1969 with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and went on to star in Lee Hayden’s 2017 picture The Hero. "I think my biggest takeaway is just how fortunate I am. Number one, to still be in the game, but to have an opportunity to work with two people like Bradley and Stefani (Lady Gaga), it’s just extraordinary," he continued. "Fifty years into the game and all of a sudden to have anything to do with this, to be connected with a film like this, it’s just a wonderful gift.”

https://www.billboard.com/articles/events/oscars/8494588/a-star-is-born-sam-elliot-first-oscar-nomination

In addition to Sam Elliott, this was my favorite long-overdue nomination of the day.
Richard E. Grant celebrated his first Oscar nomination by crying with Melissa McCarthy

Though he plays a charming conman in Marielle Heller’s 1991-set Lee Israel biopic Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Swaziland-born British actor Richard E. Grant won his first Oscar nomination Tuesday morning fair and square: By giving one of the most moving performances of the year as Jack Hock, a devilishly charming queer drifter who helps his biographer-turned-forger companion sell fake documents written in the voice of dead celebrities.

Shortly after the Academy announced its annual list of honorees, EW caught up with the 61-year-old — who was still wiping away tears after an emotional phone call with McCarthy — to discuss his “virgin-first” Oscar experience, what McCarthy said to him in honor of his nod, and giving a voice to the gay men who, like Jack, ultimately had their lives cut short by the AIDS crisis. Read on for the full conversation (in which Grant also gives a playful tease for his upcoming Star Wars film) below.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Congratulations Richard! I can tell you’re tickled. I just read your press statement where you said you’re levitating!?
RICHARD E. GRANT: I’m just absolutely astonished. I just spoke to Melissa and we were both crying, so I feel very emotional right now. It’s so beyond anything I could have ever imagined.

It’s a job so well done. Were you glued to the broadcast this morning or did you skip that suspense?
It’s lunchtime here in London, so I was sitting [with] my daughter at a restaurant. She had the live feed on her iPhone. She had one earplug in and I had the other; That’s how we got the news!

How did you both immediately react?
We both burst into tears. I think people at the tables around us thought we had some tragic news. We got free lunch and drinks, so I’m grateful.

Oh, Jack would have loved that!
Definitely, absolutely right! I hadn’t thought of that! [Laughs].

Why is this such an emotional nomination for you?
Because we made this movie that took twenty-six days to shoot. It was all shot on location in Manhattan last winter on a relatively low budget. For a movie that is essentially about two people who are failures in life and very lonely and find a platonic, interdependent relationship, that doesn’t exactly sound like something that will have critics and [audiences] jumping up and down to go see it. And the fact that it has. And it’s been so brilliantly directed by Marielle Heller. It’s like, something that’s small-scale and then suddenly has this magnifying glass and awards accruing around it — it’s beyond anything that any of us could possibly have imagined. There was never a conversation at any point where we said, this is going to be that kind of movie. The fact that’s it’s touched people and moved them is absolutely amazing. We’re gobsmacked.

What did Melissa say to congratulate you?
We were both crying. She just said, “I can’t believe it, what have we done right?” She said she was woken up because it’s very early in the morning. She was fast asleep and thought some terrible news had come because her phone was ringing like crazy. She’s been through this before on Bridesmaids, but for me this is a virgin first for a 61-year-old man!

I think Jack as a character is such an interesting and complex and vital piece of the gay experience that we don’t often see in movies, and he represents so many of the men who were lost and silenced by the AIDS crisis for so long. Does it have added significance or validation to the gay men who lived Jack’s life but aren’t here to tell it that now that this character has been exposed and accepted into the mainstream?
Absolutely, 100%. The person who most inspired what I did because there was so little to go on research wise on Jack Hock was an actor who I was friends with and worked with called Ian Charleson, who was in Chariots of Fire. He died of AIDS in 1990 at the age of forty. The bandana I wore in the film was a request from me to Marielle Heller and the costume designer to say this is what Ian looked like the last time I saw him. That was as much a literal homage to our friendship that I could get into the movie. He had this amazing, loose, scalawag quality as well as a little boy lost. So all of those things were inspired by this man who was of a generation that were wiped out by that plague in the ’80s and ’90s, when it seemed like a cure was impossible to ever achieve.

Have you heard positive responses from the LGBT community about your portrayal?
Overwhelmingly so. The movie was also given the LGBT Movie of the Year award at the Dorian Awards last Saturday, and I was also given Best Supporting Actor. If that body of people is voting for this, that is the greatest approbation the performances could possibly have because it is honoring people and not sentimentalizing them in any way. This is who they are, this is their sexuality, no excuses are made and nothing is varnished up. It’s not issue-driven, either; this is just who they are, and that’s what I love about it.

What do you think Jack would say about this attention you’re getting if he were alive?
He’d think there were a lot of free goodie bags and a lot of free hotel rooms that he would get coming his way, and he’d get really well laid along the line. It’s the ultimate trip that he would’ve enjoyed.

What would he wear to the Oscars?
A big purple cape with a large brooch…and a bottle hidden in each pocket!

Lovely! We’re also seeing such a huge call for more stories about women and directed by women, and it’s great to see you, Melissa, Nicole, and Jeff get nominated for this, but I can’t help but think it feels weird that Marielle hasn’t been more a part of this awards season.
I think it’s obviously hugely disappointing, but she is such a generous person and she’s been so behind everyone’s nomination with incredible generosity. She sent me a video as she heard the news, and it’s a measure of how she directed as well: There’s a kind of self-effacement of what she does; there’s no grandstanding or big directorial flourishes, and I think that’s maybe that’s why she hasn’t been rewarded. But, look, she’s just directed Tom Hanks in the Mister Rogers story, so she’s on her way to the big, big, big time!

What did she say in the video?
She was so thrilled for [us]. She wasn’t singing the blues about her lack of a nomination at all. She was incredibly thrilled that this low-budget, small movie got this level of recognition.

I know you can’t drink to celebrate because you’re intolerant, so how do you plan to celebrate the nomination tonight?
Yes! I’m doing three Q&As after three screenings in London, so I’m on press duties!

So you’re just working the charm even more?
Yes! It’ll certainly make that ride even sweeter.

Do you have any dish on the next Star Wars?
Yes! It comes out on the 19th of December this year, and I play a character called [makes crackling noise] and the plot is [makes crackling noise], so there you have it! The scoop!

Thanks Richard! I wish the connection was better.
Yeah, if you just play this back you’ll decipher it! It’s like that Beatles record: If you play it backward, all will be revealed.

https://ew.com/oscars/2019/01/22/richard-e-grant-oscar-nomination-interview/

Sam Elliott should be a lock on this only because Mahersala Ali already has an Oscar...I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything but I also know that history dictates that the winner in this category has always been a veteran who has never won before.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I can see Sam Elliott upsetting the front runner. Much like Alan Arkin beat Eddie Murphy.

See posts about old white men stealing Oscars from black men the next day.

Suspect's Reviews

Sam Elliott should be a lock on this only because Mahersala Ali already has an Oscar...I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything but I also know that history dictates that the winner in this category has always been a veteran who has never won before.
You don't think the fact that Ali just won an Oscar two years ago is going to work against him?
He has a nice narrative, but there is no way Sam Elliot is winning this. He only garnered a nomination after he popped up at SAG (an award he didn't even win).

Mahershala Ali has already won the Globe, Critics' Choice, SAG, and probably already has BAFTA in-the-bag considering he didn't win it for Moonlight (not to mention his film is considered a frontrunner for Best Picture). All the industry buzz and momentum has swayed in Ali's favor; he's locked for the win. Winning more than one Oscar with barely any years apart, has happened on numerous occasions. Any Elliot talk by this point might as well be wishful thinking.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

Wow, OK, I don't know...anyway, I do agree with you that Green Book is the Best Picture frontrunner, I've seen all the nominees and it would get my vote.

Ali all the way. Richard E Grant would be close second, if there was one. Still cant understand how Sam Elliot got a nomination, for more or less 15 mins of just stern talking.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
You don't think the fact that Ali just won an Oscar two years ago is going to work against him?
This was my thoughts on Christoph Waltz and why I didn't choose him to win the Oscar for Django, but that backfired.

Let's suppose for a minute --purely hypothetically of course-- based upon the past several year's awards, that there are two important considerations for winning an Oscar either for best picture or an acting category: excellence in work, and representation of current fashionable Hollywood PC causes (blacks, homosexuals, women).

With those criteria in mind, both A Star is Born and Vice would be out. Each is about white people. Everyone hates Dick Cheney, so that's easy. Sorry, Rockwell. And although Bradley Cooper kills himself in "Star", which is certainly admirable PC, Elliot's chances are likely nil.

That leaves us with two "blacks" and one "homosexual & women". Blackkklansman is obviously a candidate because it sticks it to the KKK, and Spike Lee is destined for Mt. Rushmore; but Adam Driver is a white dude, so-- not this year, Adam.

Therefore it's probably going to be down to M. Ali (Green Book) and Richard E. Grant (Can You Ever Forgive Me?). Based on the hypothetical criteria, I'd suggest that Grant will be your winner.

Here's my reasoning: even though Green Book has plenty of PC gratification (black entertainer braves the Jim Crow South; it's cool to have a white guy chauffeur a black guy), the movie-going public may be a little weary of the constant barrage of racist themed films over the years. Ali has recently won an Oscar, and some may feel his performance in "Book" was uneven.

On the other hand, it's only been in the last few years that we've had homosexuality portrayed to such a high degree in films, so there's certainly plenty of room left for more! And portraying a gay who in real life died of AIDS is another point in its favor. Grant turned in a superb performance. That he is a journeyman actor with no prior nominations is also in his favor.

Top that all off with the story being about a lesbian leaning Jewish woman, directed by a woman, and we have the obvious PC choice. Congratulations, Richard E. Grant!

Let's suppose for a minute --purely hypothetically of course-- based upon the past several year's awards, that there are two important considerations for winning an Oscar either for best picture or an acting category: excellence in work, and representation of current fashionable Hollywood PC causes (blacks, homosexuals, women).
I reject the supposition.

But for your dumbass bullsh!t formula, I guess you haven't seen Green Book, because Ali's character is gay as well as black.

I was going to spend time detailing the relatively low number of performances of color or where the character is gay that have actually won, but why counter such an "argument" with facts?