Lets Talk Football

Tools    

Ronaldo to appear on Celebrity Fit Club

Football legend Ronaldo is to appear on a Brazilian version of Celebrity Fit Club in a bid to get back into shape.

The former Real Madrid and Inter Milan striker has ballooned in size since retiring last year but will appear in the "Medid Certa" section of the "Fantástico" television show to try and get back into shape.

Ronaldo has already started filming with the programme's presenters and he will be followed for three months with the first episode being broadcast in Brazil this weekend.

Ronaldo said he agreed to deal with his weight issue on television as the extra pressure would keep him motivated.

"I'm enjoying participating in the program, because it is an incentive for me to lose weight," he told iG Gente.

"Maybe if I didn't have the pressure of everybody watching me trying to lose weight then I wouldn't be able to do it.

Marcio Atalla, who has been tasked with whipping Ronaldo into shape, said that former superstar's case would be an important lesson to viewers.

"The idea of choosing Ronaldo came mainly because we wanted to show that people cannot stand still," he said.

"You may have had a physically active job but if you stop and adopt a new lifestyle then your body will feel it and react to it.The exercises that keep you in shape need to be part of your routine forever."

In the first episode of the show the presenters do a complete evaluation of Ronaldo through blood tests, body measurements, electrocardiography, an exercise test and measuring the percentage of fat and muscle in the body of the former star.

"All I can say is that I will work hard, be persistent and not give up until I reach my recommended weight," said the three time FIFA World Footballer of the Year.

"I want people to be inspired by me."
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/...133259053.html

He wants people to be inspired by him by losing weight? They were inspired by his unstoppable rushes and amazing goals. Must be one of the all time greatest forwards.

Couldn't agree more. The first and, arguably, still the best 'modern' forward.

I realized that you're a United fan..yeah, whatever....but brondinki was talking about Rondaldo....do a you tube you clip on that, instead of bloody United..Jesus..Poms!

That's Ronaldo scoring a hat-trick against United at Old Trafford. A game in which the United fans gave him a standing ovation when he was subbed, even though he'd scored a hat-trick and stopped us reaching the Semi-Finals of the Champion's League. I posted that clip because that's how good he was.

I've posted clips of Ronaldo before, but if that's what you want, I'm more than happy to oblige

Footballer fined €100,000 for drinking can of beer

Croatia champions Dinamo Zagreb have ordered defender Domagoj Vida to pay a 100,000 euro (Ł79,717) fine for opening a can of beer on the club's bus en route to a game.

"It was the most expensive beer Vida has ever had," the Jutarnji List newspaper joked.

Coach Ante Cacic immediately ordered Vida, 23, to leave the bus, which left on Monday for a cup game against lower flight side NK Vrsar later on Tuesday.

"The Dinamo management has decided to punish Vida, a Croatia international with 14 caps, with a financial penalty of 100,000 euros for his behaviour," the club, which have won the last seven Croatian championships, said on their website.

In August, Brazilian-born Dinamo midfielder Sammir was fined 270,000 euros for partying in a Zagreb night club on the eve of a Champions League qualifying match against Moldovan side Sheriff Tiraspol.

The average monthly salary in Croatia is around 750 euros.
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/...XBhZ2U-;_ylv=3

Football team demands players take polygraph

Players and coaches at Bulgarian first division club Lokomotiv Plovdiv have been told to take lie detector tests after their surprise 1-0 loss to basement side Botev Vratsa on Saturday stoked concerns about match-fixing.

Lokomotiv, Bulgarian champions in 2004, suffered their first loss of the season to lowly Botev Vratsa, who had been bottom of the table after a run of five consecutive defeats.

Lokomotiv's owner Veselin Mareshki told local media on Tuesday he had to be sure there were no other factors behind the team's loss.

"Nobody is insured against defeats but this loss is very strange," Mareshki said.

"The fair play principle is the most important thing for me and all players and coaches will take lie detector tests."

Earlier this month, the Bulgarian Football Union (BFU) said a prosecutor has opened an investigation into claims of match-fixing in four domestic games this season.

Spartak Pleven's junior team have been expelled from the domestic U-19's championship for match-fixing even before the results of the investigation have been announced.

Most games in the Balkan country's junior championship are included on bookmakers' betting coupons.

Media reports have claimed match-fixing and corruption have been rife in Bulgaria for years, but no one has been brought to trial with the European Commission criticising the authorities for doing little to fight the problem.

Reuters
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/...102701012.html

And Vidic is injured... Again.

They've been trying to make football (soccer) more popular here in the states, several cable channels and even mjr networks have begun showing it more and more. I followed the South Africa fifa some on the bbc world service, it comes on in the middle of the night here on plb rdio.

The States have been vigorously and successfully advertizing Gridiron football forever now. I'm a drone, and I love it. How 'bout them cowboys?

Does anyone know about what happened between the Seattle Seahawks & Green Bay Packers???

I'm a big Seattle Fan.

Does anyone know about what happened between the Seattle Seahawks & Green Bay Packers???

I'm a big Seattle Fan.
seattle won against green bay, but by the skin of their teeth, same as against the cowboys last week. but this is a soccer thread. we are being 'load and crass' - In Bruges

For the most part, I couldn't agree with him more. Like many, I've been saying it for years. This is 5 years after that and things are only now starting to turn. They're still not looking anywhere near as far down the road as they should, but things may get a little better. Of course, as the results won't be seen for a (footballing) generation or so, the chances are 'they' will lose patience and change things before it's had time to come to fruition.

Craig Johnston was out best export in the late 70's and 80's and paved the way for a lot other Aussie footballers players.

Getting back to the subject about Pommy kids not practising! They have video games, bieber, the other boy band. I had Midnight Oil...lol! I practised all the time, though I never had the skill to be a top League player. In Brazil and so forth...what to they have? talent and so much more! I reckon African sides in 30 years will take over. Lets have a bet? lol!

The People's Republic of Clogher
Damn! Whatever happened to Craig Johnston's magnificent perm?

The amount of hair care products in the Liverpool dressing room at that time must have been staggering.

Premier League - Premier League secures huge US TV deal

NBC Universal has won the US broadcast rights to England's Premier League for the next two seasons, beating current rights holders Fox.

The deal raises major questions over the future of Fox’s football coverage on Fox Soccer Channel, which has now lost rights to North America's Major League, Italy's Serie A and its flagship English league but retains rights to UEFA's Champions League.

The Premier League statement did not give financial details of the deal but Sports Business Daily cited sources saying NBC's bid equates to more than triple the $23 million (Ł14.3 million) per year Fox is reportedly paying.

ESPN, who sub-licence games from Fox, will also be without the Premier League after making a strong effort to promote Saturday morning games on their network.

The Premier League has grown in popularity in recent years with viewing figures rising significantly.

Last season a tape-delayed broadcast of Chelsea v Liverpool in November drew a US record 1.7 million total viewers on Fox's free-to-air channel.

Mark Lazarus, chairman of NBC Sports Group, said that by using multiple channels the Premier League would get unprecedented exposure in the US.

"The Premier League is the pre-eminent football league in the world and is on the cusp of exponential popularity growth here in the US," Lazarus said.

"NBCU will provide the broadest programming and promotional commitment that the league has ever experienced here in the US. The Premier League provides NBCU with best-in-class content for 10 months of the year across our far-reaching broadcast, cable and digital platforms. This is a perfect match."

The Premier League said that NBC, NBC Sports Network and NBC online will all be used to present live Premier League coverage, as well as Telemundo and mun2 channels for Spanish-language coverage.

The channels that will be used have a combined reach of 95 per cent of the US viewing public each month, the league said.

"The NBC Sports Group has an excellent track record in sports broadcasting and will showcase the Premier League to fans across the US through its extensive network of channels and high-quality production," said Premier League Chief Executive Richard Scudamore.

Premier League teams have taken advantage of their growing profile in the US, with many of them holding pre-season friendlies there which have drawn large crowds.

The deal is the latest major change in the football television market in the US coming after Al-Jazeera-owned BeIN Sport grabbed the rights to Italy's Serie A and Spain's La Liga from Fox and Gol TV.
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/f...000222260.html

there's a frog in my snake oil
Woo, a fun Spurs performance . It's been a few games. (And by fun I include the comedy own goal ). Good to see the midfield looking dangerous again.

And of course, AVB's goal reactions...

We had Hudd & young Tom Carroll through the middle. He looks like he 'weighs more wet' as Tyldesley put it (or summat similar), but he gets his head up & passes well for a young'un. This is his second year of getting Euro-outings I think. Hudd was on fine form too - distributing at his best without losing it too much or getting out of position - sat very deep as a rule and just picked out wingers or acted as pivot.

Luckily Maribor didn't mount much of a threat through middle. Think we knackered em. Bale was doing his engage-sixth-gear-at-all-times thing and we were pinging it well in general. Fun watching

Ah. I read that morning that Huddlestone was injured.

Do you feel confident for the weekend? We've got Villa, so I'm, about, as confident as I allow myself to get before a match. However, we've already been beaten by your lot at Old Trafford, so all bets are off.

Ach we spawned that win a bit with the early goal. You should roll villa over.

I think we're gonna be knackered for Sh*tty. Could really do with Dembele back. And for Sig stopping looking so flipping overawed. Draw would be fine by me.