Beneficiaries of "Cancel Culture"?

Tools    

The "cancel-culture" wouldn´t be called "cancel-culture" if they would just criticize people.

They exactly know what they are doing and you can be sure, if a person loses its job because of certain comments on its social-media page, then it wasn´t a "terrible accident" nor a "unhappy misunderstanding" in the most cases.

So that´s why they have gotten their name "cancel-culture"!

They "cancel" other people and also make sure that those people are getting "canceled" from others who are in fact not even a part of the "cancel-culture" (or unaware of it) and that´s what is making that "cancel-culture" so dangerous, because people can become an active part of it, not even being aware of it.

Are you familiar with "causality"?

If you push a bigass boulder and it starts rollin down the mountain, crashing into a car and causing 5 dead people.

Who has to be blamed?

The boulder?
The 5 people driving the car?
The car itself?
You?
Or was it the mountain who caused 5 people to lose their lives?

If the comment from a social-media user causes a company to fire someone, then it was the social media user who caused another person to lose its job, not the company. It is really easy as that and not overly complicated.
Are you familiar with "accountability"?

Because all you are saying still doesn't place an ounce of responsibility in the acts of those who effectively censor or fire Shane Gillis. Firing him is still a decision made and kept by SNL. And you can justify it in that the environment of social media "forced" the company to make that decision, that doesn't change that it was their choice to do so and that by talking about the nebulous "cancel culture" and shifting the blame to the collective the company that actually fired, censored and/or arguably mistreated one of their employees is not held accountable at all.

Also yes, what people call "cancel culture" is often just criticizing online. Because that's what most people can do. Not even 8 million social media users saying specifically that some guy deserves to be fired can break a contract made between a company and its employee. They don't have that kind of power. They just make a noise that the companies or employers, in their own, interpret in order to make the decisions they should absolutely be held accountable for, because what they do with their workers is their responsibility.

Aint nobody getting canceled that shouldn’t have already been canceled. Just a smoke screen. Top shelf smoke tho
Can't say I agree with that, John. There've been many stories over the last few years of people getting "canceled" for doing absolutely nothing wrong.

I remember one from a few years back of a truck driver who made the "okay" sign with his fingers. Someone saw this, took a photo, and reported the man for giving a "white power" hand gesture near where a BLM rally was taking place (the man was Latino, btw). He was subsequently fired from his job for simply signaling "okay" out his window. (Perhaps he should've used the ol' thumbs up gesture, but who knows? That may have been co-opted by some group to now mean something it never did before also.)

You ready? You look ready.
Can't say I agree with that, John. There've been many stories over the last few years of people getting "canceled" for doing absolutely nothing wrong.

I remember one from a few years back of a truck driver who made the "okay" sign with his fingers. Someone saw this, took a photo, and reported the man for giving a "white power" hand gesture near where a BLM rally was taking place (the man was Latino, btw). He was subsequently fired from his job for simply signaling "okay" out his window. (Perhaps he should've used the ol' thumbs up gesture, but who knows? That may have been co-opted by some group to now mean something it never did before also.)
This doesn’t imply that he never worked as a truck driver ever again, which would be the cancel culture I am talking about. The kind that only exists in the minds of the entitled minded and public figures. The free market just makes cancel culture an impossibility.

This doesn’t imply that he never worked as a truck driver ever again, which would be the cancel culture I am talking about.
Well, that's an amazingly insensitive definition. Sure, he lost his job and money and was publicly traumatized, but he probably found another crappy truck driving job, so he was not "cancelled." Except that he was.

The kind that only exists in the minds of the entitled minded and public figures. The free market just makes cancel culture an impossibility.
Can we stop pretending that cancel culture doesn't exist? We're not on this part of the BINGO sheet anymore.
1. It's not happening.

2. It's happening, but not that much.

3. It is happening, and this is why it's a good thing!

4. It's always been this way.

You ready? You look ready.
I was entertaining the idea that it actually happened. I haven’t even seen one example in this thread of cancel culture actually existing so why you looking at a bingo card when there’s only one column?

This doesn’t imply that he never worked as a truck driver ever again, which would be the cancel culture I am talking about. The kind that only exists in the minds of the entitled minded and public figures. The free market just makes cancel culture an impossibility.
Hmmm... I would say that depends largely on the career. (For the record, the guy I referred to as a "truck driver" was a utility technician for San Diego Gas & Electric. I don't know what ultimately happened with his work or if he found a similar job.)

Those careers with higher public exposure are probably more prone to more permanent cases of cancelling.

Ultimately, every case should be examined on its own merit rather than having people (and businesses) jumping to conclusions like Salem villagers looking to stone someone every time someone points a finger and cries "witch!"

There are a lot of frivolous cases out there (just like the one I described) where people are fired or publicly humiliated when they did absolutely nothing wrong.

Psychopathic Psychiatrist
Are you familiar with "accountability"?

Because all you are saying still doesn't place an ounce of responsibility in the acts of those who effectively censor or fire Shane Gillis. Firing him is still a decision made and kept by SNL.
I am talking about all the cancel-culture victims in general. You seem to constantly talk about Shane Gillis who got fired by the SNL. Also, there are lots of ways to "cancel" someone and it doesn´t automatically mean someone loses his job if he is "canceled".

I am talking about all the cancel-culture victims in general. You seem to constantly talk about Shane Gillis who got fired by the SNL. Also, there are lots of ways to "cancel" someone and it doesn´t automatically mean someone loses his job if he is "canceled".
I mean, this thread is about Shane Gillis, and by extension I would also talk about people who are fired by companies; this kind of "cancellation" that ultimately depends on the decision of a CEO is not one I think should be called as such, because in the end there is somebody who made the decision and is not being held accountable for a decision that is being criticized and is theirs.

I do not disagree that there is some sort of cancellation pressure out there, by the way; I just disagree with the targets. Actual examples of "cancel culture" I've seen by social media users are, for instance, some fan artists getting bullied out of internet spaces by people who are very aggressive against their art expression, using stuff like doxxing tactics or hacking their income sources; an actor being fired for some obscure "bad rep" reasons by an influential company is not that case, in my opinion. It is shifting the blame of those who make the actual choice and have that responsibility toward a very comfortable amalgam of nobodies saying random stuff on the internet.

Psychopathic Psychiatrist
I mean, this thread is about Shane Gillis,.
Uhm, well, the thread is explicitly called "Beneficiaries of "Cancel Culture" while Shane Gillis was just another example of what is happening these days, regarding the cancel-culture, so in my opinion it is a little far fetched to claim it would be solely about Shane Gilis.

This is probably the prime example of what everyone likes to see, so people rather see what they want to see, meaning: I see this thread talking about the cancel-culture, you see it as a Shane Gillis Exclusive while talking about the cancel-culture is just a rather more or less unimportant small-talk.

I do not disagree that there is some sort of cancellation pressure out there
Honestly, if someone would claim the opposite or telling that there neither ain´t any "threat" nor "pressure", i would suspect the user to be living inside his own secure bubble-universe, which haven´t much to do with our actual reality* at hand.

*According to quantum physics, we aren´t even sure what the "real" reality actually is.