The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Just got myself an old PS2 real cheap on Ebay, it's the console I have the best memories of so I'm looking forward to reliving all the games I used to love. Right now I have Mercenaries, Star Wars: Battlefront 2, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and Psi-Ops on the way. Can't wait to play them again!

In the Beginning...
Got Dragon's Dogma for the 360 a few days ago. It seems to be a cross between a JRPG and Demon's Souls.

In other words, it's a bit strange.
I played the demo. Definitely a bit odd and clunky, and your companions are way too chatty, but it still got a fair number of good reviews. I really liked the character creation options for the bizarre multiplayer mode, too.

I played Sword & Sworcery, & that game is so delightful.

I want to try Bastion & Lone Survivor, especially Lone Survivor.
These Indie games are really taking gameplay to a new level of experience.

Finally started playing all the smaller games/Humble Bundle stuff I'd accumulated during the dark days of Integrated Graphics (may they never return). Played a little Bastion--good fun, though a little arcade-y for my tastes. But for what it is, I can't imagine it being too much better, and I'll probably keep playing to have fun with the narration. Good stuff.

Also in the middle of Braid. Love it. Some of the puzzles are a little convoluted, but then, I suppose that's the idea. I'm admittedly charmed by "high concept" games, and this feels a bit like Portal in that regard. Not in terms of gameplay (though a little...), but more in that it tickles the same conceptual nerve endings in my brain. I get a kick out of games that force you to really sit and think about the logistics of the problem. I love those puzzles because, when I finally figure them out, I usually can't suppress an audible noise. Maybe a laugh, or an "Ah-HA!" Great moments, and Braid's given me like five of them.

That, and the gorgeous music.

Not quite done with it yet, but I'm close. I've needed a little help here and there, but very rarely. I've made a point to keep banging away and consult very little in the way of walkthroughs. And once or twice, of course, I had the right idea already but was just slightly off in the execution.

I need to play Braid. You're right about Bastion, it is a very arcade-y title, but good nonetheless. Speaking of good game music, Bastion has some great music, too. I've had some fun with Bastion since I've been without a TV for quite some time.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I beat Braid, got all the puzzle pieces, etc. Good game.

The trophy I still need is the speed trial.

Suspect's Reviews

there's a frog in my snake oil

So I gots BF3 Close Quarters. All very silly and CoD-like. Missing the vehicular insanity. But on the plus side, the destruction is fun, if mainly cosmetic. (Possibly worth shelling out just for these cosmetics tho - fave bit was jumping at a shadow running by - t'was a guy on the higher level of the 'scrap' map caught by the low slanting sun). Not really playing to their strengths, but seeing the trail of carnage caused by past firefights is kinda cool, in a destructive way

---

Anyone got Dawnguard DLC for Xbox? Reviews seem to suggest the story is pretty flat, the vampires glitchy, and that all of that is unsurprising . Shame they didn't add more areas to explore, but if the archer kill-cam made it in I might dust off my ole masochistic HUD-less elf just to try that out. It takes me so long to hit anything I need a reward . (Haven't seen any mention of the kinect stuff making it in, although drawing your sword by saying 'sword' is daft anyway. Unless it's a magic sword of course )

Finished Braid. Wow. Fantastic. Already sad it's over.

Played through the two very short games Samorost and Samorost 2 with the wife, since the developer's other game, Machinarium, saved us during a snow-in a couple of years back. Both were fine; charming but clear precursors to the game we loved. There's another out called Botanicula in the same vein, I think, that we'll be trying soon. My wife prefers those Myst-type puzzle games, and they're a lot easier for more than one person to play.

Also, bought a $30~ copy of MW3 which is on the way, still sitting on Skyrim, which I'll probably end up playing list given its likely ability to swallow all the rest.

I did jump into L.A. Noire last night. I'm only an hour in, but it's decent so far. So far I'm not really getting anything out of the "look around for clues" mechanics, but the interrogation stuff isn't too bad. And obviously, the look and feel and scope are all fantastic. Really digging the facial mapping, too. And I'm bound to get my money's worth, because after slashing the price down to $15, Steam had one of those insane 75% off sales, so it was $4.99.

Anyone got Dawnguard DLC for Xbox? Reviews seem to suggest the story is pretty flat, the vampires glitchy, and that all of that is unsurprising . Shame they didn't add more areas to explore, but if the archer kill-cam made it in I might dust off my ole masochistic HUD-less elf just to try that out. It takes me so long to hit anything I need a reward . (Haven't seen any mention of the kinect stuff making it in, although drawing your sword by saying 'sword' is daft anyway. Unless it's a magic sword of course )
My marriage to Ysolda is all but over because I'm in love with Serana. She's an awesome character, maybe the best in the game. I actually really enjoyed the story. Bethesda's games have never been overly deep in terms of narrative but there's enough meat to Dawnguard to keep it interesting, I think.

I'm gonna do a second run-through soon so I can experience the Vampire side of it. I actually loved the Vampire-hunter path. A little short but there's plenty of side-quests to keep me busy, plus the crossbows are awesome, not to mention perfect for my sneaky character.

Just mentioned it above; not yet, but I'm going to. If it's even three-fourths as good as its predecessor, Machinarium, I expect I'll love it. Really love what those guys do.

Re: MW3. May be the worst, but if it makes any difference I'm not that into the multiplayer. I'll try it sometimes but I actually like the single player more. I buy it expecting to feel like I'm playing an insane movie, and then to have the MP now and then if I feel like it. Which, I realize, puts me in the minority.

Re: MW3. May be the worst, but if it makes any difference I'm not that into the multiplayer. I'll try it sometimes but I actually like the single player more. I buy it expecting to feel like I'm playing an insane movie, and then to have the MP now and then if I feel like it. Which, I realize, puts me in the minority.
I'm the same. It's just a shame the stories are never actually anywhere near as good as a movie.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Nowhere near as fun as Black Ops.

Been getting back into Battlefield 3 now. Decided to finish campaign, and back on multiplayer.

Somebody told me Braid was brilliant, had a co-worker who once said it's the closest I could come to playing a game that's concept wise is similar to Inception...

Yeah, come to think of it, anyone who likes the way Nolan's plots are constructed would probably get an extra little kick out of Braid. It's cheap and not too long, either; I'd say go for it, definitely. Would love to hear your thoughts.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Had a proper 'old school' BF3 multiplay last night. None of this 'CoD philosophy' infantry-only styling . Just 4 mates on chat, a giant-ticket conquest map, and lots and lots of shenanigans

It seems daft to try and describe the collage of silliness, but...: When we joined our team was losing 300-to-160 or so, and one mate was stuck on the other side. Code talk ensued, so as not to tip off said traitor-spy, and I remember shouting 'For god's sake get into the badger!', amongst other inanity. 'Triangulating' on our buddy-foe by chance and tanking him from a distance, while he tried to sneak up on our other burning tank, was hilarious - as was the moment when he managed to sneaky-knife the only one of us he'd never pulled it off on. When we finally managed to get into the same squad we helped our team pull off a 7 ticket last-gasp win, via various pragmatic & ridiculous strategies. Good times, good times

I saw RAGE for $20, is it worth it? I've heard very mixed things.
IMO. Looks and plays great, but quite linear and straight forward shooter. Biggest mistake people make is expect Fallout or something like it.
My only other complaint is that I seemed to have an issue with sound, all the dialogue in the exposition scenes was out of sync - a lot. Sometimes 10 or more seconds.