No-Spend February - Finance thread

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
My wife and I have did something similar in the past, and amusingly, I think we chose the same month! Either that or January. Not sure if that's a coincidence, or if both we and you concluded that it's a little easier to do in the winter when you're less inclined to go out anyway?

Anyway, it's a great habit to get in, not just because you spend less (even if you "make up for it" after the month is over, good chance you won't counteract all the spending), but because it's pretty likely you come out the other end of it broken of a few habits, once you realize how easy it is to go without X or Y. Of course you also learn some things are very hard to go without, but that's useful, too. One of the nice things about getting older is figuring out which things are important to you, and prioritizing those, and this is one of the better ways to do that.
Well, it's funny, and a combination of these things, I think:

It's just after the holidays, when the extra spending around Christmas compounds with the bad habits. so it pushed the gauge a bit more into the red. it really crystalized around mid-January, so by then it was too late to run the challenge in January.

February is a short month, and is split into four tidy seven day chunks. I think my thinking was that it would be just a tad easier to complete being a bit sorter term.

The funny thing, is that we have kind of already started it this week, so it will go the extra days anyway! As long as we make it, that is!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Buying my last minute things today before this all begins tomorrow.

For example, I bought a bunch of fruit to bring to work this week instead of buying impulsive snacks for my breaks and lunches.

Don't know that it counts but I bought a new belt and ordered some new shoes as mine are quite grimy. Could have gotten away with it I suppose but figured it was inevitable to buy them.

I have a 50 dollar Amazon card which will get me through the month of Feb.

You ready? You look ready.
Time to buy that second house I've been eyeing. Maybe a couple jetskis and the gas to run em for a month. Then I'll be ready.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

My family and I are about to enter a No-Spend February, which is a way to analyze and adjust a person or family's financial budgeting approach, and most importantly, reign in frivolous spending.

The idea is to only spend money on the "four walls" that are necessary to live, while cutting out all other spending for an entire month. The four walls are:

Shelter
Basic food requirements
Transportation
Utilities/Bills

So... no clothing, eating out, entertainment/gaming/events, drinking, smoking, lottery tickets, Starbucks lattes, random app purchases, NO GOING TO THE MOVIES. A tough one for the MoFos, which will have most of them not joining in, I am sure!

*If you like road snacks, buy them at the grocery store and bring them with you etc. Make coffee at home and bring it with you etc. Sorry New Englanders: NO DUNKIN DONUTS!

There are exceptions: Car repair, medical emergencies, prescriptions etc. Just use common sense here.

I have a PDF tracker sheet if you want want, just let me know I can email it over.

Some helpful hints:

Tell your friends/family, both to ensure accountability and to let people know your usual hang out session won't include your usual food delivery order.

No cheat days!

If an item comes up that you want, make a list, and assess it in a need vs want paradigm at end of month - this is the entire focus of doing this: assessing needs vs. wants.

Use a spending tracking sheet or a finance app to monitor all transactions.

In summary, the object here to to quash instant gratification through spending, curb or halt retail therapy (my wife...oy vey!!), and inculcate better habits when analyzing wants vs needs. My wife has a nasty habit of randomly stopping in at stores buying things she doesn't need, and finding them, still with the tags on them, months later in a closet.

As an aside, this is good time to analyze bills, try to knock some down if possible, and perhaps adjust how you go grocery shopping by trying to find bulk deals, use coupons and things of that nature. Also a good time to analyze entertainment funding, whether or not streaming has gotten out of hand, gaming etc.

One example is that you can try to call your internet company, threaten them with moving your service because the other company will offer you the same service for $XX.XX, and either actually move your service, or get them to knock 40 bucks off your bill. Stuff like that.

I will be using this thread to track my progress, but though I would put it live on MoFo in case anyone wants to join. I w ill be making edits to this post as I think of things to add, as well.
Lordy, this would ruin my February.

If this is the message that you got from my post, then you have either misinterpreted it, or, more likely, I did not do a very good job of communicating it. I was seeking to share some principles that I've followed for years that have worked for me, that I thought aligned with the topic of this thread, how to become more financially sustainable, that I hoped would help others too. Living below my means and resisting the impulse to live a lifestyle beyond what I can comfortably afford has been a powerful and very effective tool for me. It's keeping fixed expenses manageable, rather than not buying that coffee at Starbucks, that I think matters more over the long term.
I like both of your post AKA and I see what you're saying. In a nutshell you're saying don't use 100% of your income as spendable but save as much as possible for a rainy day. I've known plenty of people who at one time or another tried to impress others by spending beyond their means. In America we use to call that 'Keeping up with the Jones' The need to live beyond one's financial needs can set people up for a financial fall when big and unexpected bills come up. I live your advice too. When my financial situation got real tough due to a loss of income I cut every single bill I could. I use to like to treat myself and my wife to Starbucks but my god two fancy drinks there along with a pastry or two can set you back $20-25, just for fancy coffee! It adds up over the course of a year, it really does.

Time to buy that second house I've been eyeing. Maybe a couple jetskis and the gas to run em for a month. Then I'll be ready.
There ya go!

I use to like to treat myself and my wife to Starbucks but my god two fancy drinks there along with a pastry or two can set you back $20-25, just for fancy coffee! It adds up over the course of a year, it really does.
Back when I first started using finance software, after the first month, I logged in and there was a big red bar next to "Coffee Shops." From that day on, I stopped buying those drinks. Haven't had one since.

Back when I first started using finance software, after the first month, I logged in and there was a big red bar next to "Coffee Shops." From that day on, I stopped buying those drinks. Haven't had one since.
Smart! I live in Western Washington state home of the original Starbucks so we've had those fancy espresso stands here for almost 30 years. Fancy coffee drinks is a way of life around here and I use to love going to the small independent espresso stands where I could buy a iced mocha for myself and a hot chocolate for my wife for $3.50...But not now the price has went way up...Long ago I bought me an inexpressive espresso machine for under $150 and every single morning I make my own iced mocha drink for next to nothing. I've probably save enough in the last 20 years of 'coffee money' to buy a new car!

BTW I love your idea for this thread. Very cool.

Smart! I live in Western Washington state home of the original Starbucks so we've had those fancy espresso stands here for almost 30 years. Fancy coffee drinks is a way of life around here and I use to love going to the small independent espresso stands where I could buy a iced mocha for myself and a hot chocolate for my wife for $3.50...But not now the price has went way up...Long ago I bought me an inexpressive espresso machine for under $150 and every single morning I make my own iced mocha drink for next to nothing. I've probably save enough in the last 20 years of 'coffee money' to buy a new car!

BTW I love your idea for this thread. Very cool.
Can I ask you which machine you got? My wife has been asking about one. Alas, I would need to wait until March to buy it!

And...thanks.

You ready? You look ready.
Can I ask you which machine you got? My wife has been asking about one. Alas, I would need to wait until March to buy it!

And...thanks.
All home espresso machines are junk. Buy yourself a Moka pot. Far and away the best coffee you can make at home.

There's a reason why almost every household in Italy has one of these.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again

And...thanks.
Off the main topic, but avoid the De'Longhi All-in-One maker. Great brand, and cool looks but that machine is buggy all around from leaks, to steam venting, there's very little aside from appearance that I can compliment. Oh, and it tastes like plastic! Pay attention to review for that taste, IMO, for any device you settle on. No amount of vinegar flushing can fix it. At least not in my experience here. =\

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
All home espresso machines are junk. Buy yourself a Moka pot. Far and away the best coffee you can make at home.

There's a reason why almost every household in Italy has one of these.
Could not for the life of me tell you where mine is 🤔

A little bird was telling me how she made a Moka every day her company was there. Then when somebody went to pull out his “special beans” to make a french press … 😳

“That was all we had Karen!”

And...thanks.
Sure thing, it's a DeLonghi EC155M Manual Espresso Machine, Cappuccino Maker which I bought at Amazon and I just checked and it was 7 years ago. Before that I had the same model that I used daily for 15 years before it wore out. Not bad for all that use.

I don't see the specific model at Amazon anymore but I do see DeLonghi espresso machines with look nicer than mine from the $100-150 range. This is similar to mine. You could drop $1500-2000 if you want a really fancy pro model. I don't know about those, my cheaper model makes yummy iced mochas, has a steamer for hot chocolate, cappuccino and lattes and has 15 bar pressure the more expensive ones develop more pressure....but wait tell March

I like both of your post AKA and I see what you're saying. In a nutshell you're saying don't use 100% of your income as spendable but save as much as possible for a rainy day. I've known plenty of people who at one time or another tried to impress others by spending beyond their means. In America we use to call that 'Keeping up with the Jones'
Glad you liked the post and yes, you have it right, this is part of the strategy, and this February exercise can help to determine what those necessary expenses are for you. The other part of the strategy once you are living below your means and are not struggling to pay your basic expenses, rather than spending all the excess money, invest it in ways that can make you more money, in an index fund, or your retirement. If you live pay check to pay check, or spend the majority of what you make on variable expenses that you don't need, you'll never be financially doing well, independent of income, because in order to make money, you need to have money, to invest, grow, compound, and make you more financially secure over time. Also, when you live below your means overall, you can buy that coffee at Starbucks, or go on that vacation, because all of your must have expenses are already taken care of, so your other money is yours to do whatever you want with. If your mortgage, car and health insurance payments are paid, and your retirement savings are taken care of, and you have your emergency fund, you can afford more of the luxuries that you value over time and don't have to judge yourself for spending money on them.

Coffee is an easy example to reverse engineer.

Starbucks-quality not what it use to be, dine-in is a fast-food experience ran by high schoolers and runs over $5 a drink for everything.

3lb of whole bean at Costco runs around $15 depending on what you get and quality is so much better.

February is a true test for tax-check millionaires!

In a previous life, I definitely was one 🙄

February is a true test for tax-check millionaires!

In a previous life, I definitely was one 🙄

I am sure my savings from the challenge this month will be bolstered by whatever return we get, but I try to balance my return as close to zero as possible, as I would rather claim more during the year to collect interest on it, especially with rates up over 5% at this point.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
For me, coffee is also a social experience as I usually go and chat it up with people I know, hence why I said I won't be giving this portion of my no spend up. But just on my working days.

Challenge starts TOMORROW!

Good luck to all who are giving it a shot. I will post updates every few days in the thread as a little progress report on how well we are doing.

See you on the other side!