Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I just rewatched Blue Velvet for the first time since it originally came out. I enjoyed it even more this time. An ageless film (aside, perhaps, from Laura Dern's character's use of the word really to mean 'definitely' or 'I agree' - so very 1980s).

Blue Velvet is an exploration of darkness and light. At first it displays the sensibility of a film-noir mystery combined with those pesky kids from Scooby Doo, but you know - being a David Lynch film with Dennis Hopper - things will soon get delightfully weird. The protagonist, played by Kyle MacLachlan, investigates the dark side not only of his seemingly quiet middle America town, but also of himself.

A taut script and tight directing by David Lynch. Beautifully filmed, but a few very noticeable continuity errors are momentarily distracting.

9/10

Hunger

Good but not great. Heard it was better than Shame before I saw it but after having seen each once, I don't think that's true.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

9/10
My favourite of Almodovar as for now. I've only seen two other movies, though.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I've seen it. It was the first film of Almodovar I saw. I liked it, but I think that Talk to Her is better. Another one I saw was Volver.

American Pie Presents: The Book of Love

Unfunny, unentertaining, awful acting, dull characters, cliche dialogue, very unlikely situations... the list goes on. I'd seen it ages ago, but last night I had the misfortune of watching the final 15 minutes again.

Moon

A good, old-fashioned science fiction film. It's good to see an up and coming director like Duncan Jones tackle traditional sci-fi tropes in Moon and Source Code. Neither of them are great, and it was somewhat ridiculous for the DVD case of Moon to compare it to 2001: A Space Odyssey (but the marketing people have to write something, I suppose). But it's a solid and entertaining film and it shows the director's potential.

The Maltese Falcon

At the height of private-eye films, The Maltese Falcon remains one of the best. A very good John Huston film, although I still prefer Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Bogart is great, as usual, and the film has a lot of depth -- at least in that it offers some symbolism.

Oz the Great and Powerful
-

The acting was terrible (in particular by James Franco, who I usually like) and the effects were blatantly meant to be no more than vehicles for 3-D (though I saw the 2-D version). Also the stupid monkey was incredibly creepy, and he was a "good" guy.

I'd like to get a cinema sized monitor, to watch movies on the pc (and to see big images - lol).