Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It's raining. Oh, wait a second. Haha. It's funny cuz I'm actually tall in real life.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Minio doesn't read the subtitles either - he contemplates what the characters might be saying. Then he disregards that when he thinks "Ooh! Pretty picture! Pretty kinky! Pretty long take!"

Actually I use telepathy to get into the director's mind to know what he meant.

It's raining. Oh, wait a second. Haha. It's funny cuz I'm actually tall in real life.
A great/excellent foreign film...you dont need to.read subs to understand the film...i rarely read subs and i love foreign cinema...,i wish the theatres here had more foreign films.

Go Agead, Make My Day
I also liked this movie; those are two of the best actors on the planet. You just watched The Last King of Scotland so you should know how good Whitaker is already. Also check out Repo Men with him and Jude Law. For more Adrien Brody, watch Summer of Sam, The Pianist, and Detachment.
Thanks for the recommendations I truly needed that, I'll check them out

Deliver Us From Evil (2014) 6.5/10

I go to the theater Tuesday to see this ! I cannot wait !

A great/excellent foreign film...you dont need to.read subs to understand the film...i rarely read subs and i love foreign cinema...,i wish the theatres here had more foreign films.
Really? That seems extremely odd to me. I can't stand not knowing every single detail that's being said.

@gbgoodies:

I can read pretty fast, so I have no problems watching "foreign" films myself , but I can understand why some people think having to read subtitles distracts from the overall experience. All I can say is: get used to it! When your reading gets faster and your "ear" for foreign languages gets better, watching foreign films will pretty much be the same thing as watching English films (or films in your native language). You'll notice that this will all go pretty smoothly after a while. I don't even think about the foreign languages anymore while watching non-English films. It just becomes very natural after a while, and trust me, I'm not at all an expert in watching weird stuff in strange languages (I mainly watch American films myself), so practically everyone should be able to easily watch films in foreign languages with just a tiny bit of experience (like me).

As a true cinephile, you simply can't afford to miss out on the cinematic cultural heritage of countries like Italy, Japan, China, Spain, Russia, France (for the people who don't understand French), etc. So you don't really have much choice but to acquire the 'art' of watching foreign films effortlessly by training yourself a little.

Start watching some random foreign films from time to time and I can assure you that you won't regret it.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Inland Empire

How do I even gather my thoughts into a coherent,logical manner? Inland Empire is a 3-hour descent into madness, as Lynch gives us his most inaccessible,difficult,most labyrinthian film yet. We get with this an absurdly creepy atmosphere, an incredible performance from Laura Dern and the movie doesn't feel nearly as long as its runtime insists. I am however not sure if there's an underlying theme or plot to this film,instead I feel its mostly a series of surreal vignettes without any underlying meaning.

Most of Lynch's films have an underlying meaning or theme. In Blue Velvet its the evil thats lying beneath the surface of normalcy, Eraserhead is about fear of being a parent,etc. Regardless, I do think Inland Empire is an interesting piece of film, if nothing else it is very memorable. I rate it
+, but my rating might go up(or it might go down) depending on how my little brain processes this film over the next couple days. I'm going to let myself digest this one, and then I think I'll be able to give my final rating.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)

Repeat viewing and just as good the second time around. Just such great acting and dialogue, probably more appreciated by someone who has been married. Wife loved it as well.

Killer of Sheep (1979)

This is an extremely low budget film, which is not a complaint, but a necessary observation. It's on Ebert's great movie list. I didn't see that, but I thought it was ok. I thought it's biggest strength was how natural and real it was, which probably is in large part due to the low budget. Not bad, but ultimately I found the whole story behind the making and distribution or the film, more interesting than the film itself.

I agree with everything Copbyth wrote, but:

Start watching some random foreign films from time to time and I can assure you that you won't regret it.
Why random? You should choose a movie you're supposed to like. A genre you like. Or something. That should help you in acquiring the skill (?) of watching subtitled films.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…

Visual flair abounds, clever dialogue, and more of the same. Ralph Fiennes was great, but the rest of the characters were not very memorable. This was enjoyable, but I'm good with Anderson not making this movie again.

My Own Private Idaho - 5/10

This was just not my sort of film. It was too bleak and depressing, i understand this is what Van Sant was going for but it didn't work for me. A positive note is that i thought River Phoenix was very good, and it's great to know that Keanu Reeves was as wooden as ever .

Gosford Park - 8/10

My first Altman; i picked this one because it seemed alot closer to my type of film than some of his other famous movies like Mash or Nashville. I really like the way Altman takes a good Hour+ to develop the characters so that by the time the murder happens it seems most characters had a reason to do it; and the ones that don't have been acting suspicious thoughout the film. Ryan Philippee's accent really made me cringe, thank god it turned out he was putting it on and that wasn't his actual attempt at a Scottish accent. Overall the Cast was excellent, particulary Maggie Smith as the snooty Lady Trentham and the wonderful Stephen Fry's brief appearance as inspector Thompson.
Very good film and i'll be checking out some more Altman in the future.

Blue Velvet - 8.5/10 (rewatch)

Storage 24.... Not bad. Obviously low-budget and knowingly silly, S24 is a modestly fun creature feature with some amusing character interactions and cool moments thanks to decent acting and nice FX. It doesn't aspire to much, but for what it is S24's fairly entertaining if you're in the mood for some tongue-in-cheek B-movie sci-fi horror goodness.

Noah

I'm unsure what to think about this. I definitely liked it, I didn't love it. I can see why people dislike it, but also feel as though it's slightly underrated as a film. Myself being not religious at all was able to appreciate this film and what it had to offer. The movie felt like it was split into two halves, and I definitely enjoyed the film more once they were on the Ark.

7/10

Why random? You should choose a movie you're supposed to like. A genre you like. Or something. That should help you in acquiring the skill (?) of watching subtitled films.
You're right.