Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Tools    

That was like a 2 and a half hour chase scene. Some good bits. A nice load of emotion at the end. But at the end of the day not exactly a classic addition to cinema history.

I was invited along to go watch this the other day. I passed. I'll catch it on streaming someday. Maybe.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Eh, I should've rewatched the original trilogy before watching this one. There are references to the previous movies, although they are not relevant to the plot and you can read about them on the net if you don't remember the original trilogy like me ...

The film has CGI, it has de-aging, it has an 80-year-old Ford in the action scenes, and it has typical digital cinematography with the trademark problem of modern cinema where you can't see anything in dark scenes. Finally, it has zero aspirations to be art... But I liked it.

It's fun and pretty out there in a pulpy way, especially towards the end. Nice ending too, a bit touching. It's all been done before and probably done better in the original trilogy, but it's nice that a new movie like that was made. I have no idea how to rate it because it would be best to compare it to the old Indie movies, but I don't remember them at all, so I wish I had seen them before watching this one. It's nothing great, but compared to today's blockbusters from the USA, it's pretty good!

Mangold tried making an old-school adventure action film and IMO he succeeded. I think the backlash this is getting on the internet is too harsh. Yes, my standards really went downhill in the past few years, but, I mean, I came for an Indie movie and got an Indie movie, so I got exactly what I wanted. And I appreciate that.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

This was okay. Way better than Crystal Skull but in its own tier beneath the first three films.

I liked the little nods to previous films. This is how it's supposed to done: echoes and parallels, not giant winks right into the camera. It had the good sense not to dwell on those moments, not to lampshade them, out of moronic fear that someone somewhere might not notice what they did.

The de-aging was...mixed. The first couple of shots, the expressiveness...were impressive. A lot of the shots after, not as good. But I admit it occasionally really works, and I do think it's getting better.

Some lovely scenes, some lovely moments. And I have to give it a lot of credit for one thing in particular: I was in genuine tension about how it would end. I was willing to believe one of several very different things might happen in the third act, and that's a rare thing, particularly in an established franchise.

Put it this way: it's good enough that I'm glad they made it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I was in genuine tension about how it would end. I was willing to believe one of several very different things might happen in the third act
The original ending was different, but the test audience hated it so they went back to the set and shot a different ending in the apartment, et al. My guess is the original ending's last scene was the one before the apartment one but Indie wasn't punched.

A system of cells interlinked
Some lovely scenes, some lovely moments. And I have to give it a lot of credit for one thing in particular: I was in genuine tension about how it would end. I was willing to believe one of several very different things might happen in the third act, and that's a rare thing, particularly in an established franchise.

Put it this way: it's good enough that I'm glad they made it.
Not sure I commented on this after I saw it, but I tend to agree with this take. I thought the first 20 minutes or so were excellent, and felt like old school Indy stuff. The film fell several notches in the middle for me, but once I saw where they were heading with the final big set piece, I was thrilled, as it was a fun idea and I thought it was handled well. Liked the very end, also.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I watched Dial of Destiny for the first time Saturday night, and I enjoyed it very much. It's better than the last movie. I felt a bit sad in knowing that this was going to be the last Indiana Jones movie. The ending was touching. After watching it, I went to Amazon and bought the soundtrack to Raiders of the Lost Ark. I found it interesting that the movie revealed for the first time Indiana Jones' middle name. It reminded me of how Star Trek VI revealed Kirk's middle name.

I recently watched this. I thought it was ok, but pretty unremarkable. Better than "Crystal Skull", but quite far below the original three. Also, after seeing it, there really was no compelling story based reason to make this movie that was apparent to me. I learned little to nothing about Indiana Jones as a character from his depiction here, and everything in this movie was done better during the original trilogy. I also felt that Phoebe Waller-Bridge was miscast. I found her to be quite annoying, actually.

There were several chase scenes, which felt redundant, but no major action set pieces that were particularly impressive. The best part of the film was the beginning scenes on the train. Harrison Ford was often also on the periphery of the action rather than being central to it, likely because he was 80 years old and was unable, understandably, to deliver within the scenes. It also appeared to me that they de-aged him so he would look younger throughout the movie, not just in the de-aged scenes in the past, as I've seen him look much older in "1923" and "Shrinking", both made around the same time as this film, so I found that distracting. I also missed Steven Spielberg as director.

I also did not like the ending. It made little to no sense to go back in time to the era in which they did, and the coda at the end, while attempting to be emotionally resonant, really didn't fit with what came before it. It felt like the original ending was changed and that this scene was tacked on at the very end as an alternative conclusion. Even if it was originally planned to be that way, it didn't integrate well with the rest of the film in my opinion. Happy to hear others here have enjoyed this!