Unpopular movie opinions

Tools    

I don't like really old movies (there I said it)
Then you are missing out on some great movies (there I said it)

You want to post like me?
If the actor is dead today (of a natural death of course) - way too old.
A young Jack Nicholson - too old.

I've mentioned this before in the shoutbox, but I grew up with relatively good special effects and such, so it's hard for me not to be critical. Generally if I see a movie in the lists here at the site and it's made in 1966 or something I don't feel like watching it.
I realize that it shouldn't hold me back since those old movies are obviously on those lists for a reason - that they are great movies. But I really don't feel like watching them... I'll work on it.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I've mentioned this before in the shoutbox, but I grew up with relatively good special effects and such, so it's hard for me not to be critical.
You don't seem to realize that some of the older movies have effects in them that were revolutionary breakthroughs for cinema. Most of which, make those special effects you know and love today so much more realistic. 40 years from now, kids won't want to watch what you consider "the now." Every generation has a few films that stand the test of time, those are the ones you should take a look at.

While we're at it: I'd pick Iron Man over The Dark Knight anytime.
While I wouldn't go that far, The Dark Knight had a much darker story, while Iron Man was just plain fun to watch. I'll admit, I checked my watch a couple times during The Dark Knight, and almost didn't want it to end watching Iron Man.

All in all, both were great in their own way.

Now, I'm going to let you in on what I don't like, and it's really nothing to do with the film. I hate, hate, hate it when people go to a movie and don't watch the flippin movie. You know, the one's that answer their phone during the film and don't give everyone else the common courtesy of walking out. Every film is different and it's hard to put a label on what you like and don't like. I like drama's but I don't like action. When, and I'm just using this as an example, you have a flick like Pearl Harbor that has a mixture of action and drama, you're practically torn.

I hate it when movies are labeled as the #1 family comedy, it's the only flippin family comedy playing, of course it's going to be #1.

There's my rant...take it for what it's worth.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Some of today's "relatively good special effects" are far-less "special" and much-far-less enjoyable than some old-time ones. There are very few special effects in any movie whatsoever that aren't easily identifiable as special effects. Being made in a computer seems irrelevant to me. Do you honestly believe that computer graphics depict "reality"?

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Some of today's "relatively good special effects" are far-less "special" and much-far-less enjoyable than some old-time ones. There are very few special effects in any movie whatsoever that aren't easily identifiable as special effects. Being made in a computer seems irrelevant to me. Do you honestly believe that computer graphics depict "reality"?
You know, as I was reading your post, I got to thinking about it. Think of any old movie with "special" effects in it. You might see a string, you might not, but back then, there was no green or blue screen to edit that stuff out, and most times you wouldn't even see the strings. These days, it's amazing how many mistakes are made on films simply because they're rushing to get the film out.