MoFo Health Thread

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
It's even worse if someone drinks a sugary drink on an empty stomach.
That's all I did.. From as early as 7am, I'd start on my first, have my last at about 4pm, and wouldn't eat til almost 9pm, a few hours before bed. I just woke up, and it's not too bad. I drank a TON of water before bed - I just wish I liked it... I figure the sugar from the passion fruit "juice" would be better than weaning off another Dr. Pepper.

That's all I did.. From as early as 7am, I'd start on my first, have my last at about 4pm, and wouldn't eat til almost 9pm, a few hours before bed. I just woke up, and it's not too bad. I drank a TON of water before bed - I just wish I liked it... I figure the sugar from the passion fruit "juice" would be better than weaning off another Dr. Pepper.
Fruit juice is better as it's fructose sugar and is easier on the body than refined cane sugars (sucrose) like used in soda pop. Still don't guzzle the stuff, because all sugars are empty calories and a person should combine slow carbs with fast carbs. If you drank that much sugar in the past after you get it out of your system, you're going to feel so much better!

I like unsweetened cranberry juice and you can mix it with carbonated seltzer water and some other juices, and it is then frizzy like soda pop but is all natural and almost no sugar.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
There is now talk in OZ about a sugar tax. I say NO!! This is no more than a way to screw the consumer of his hard earned in the guise of wanting to curb childhood obesity. You wanna do that.. then .. hello.. legislate for the manufacturers to remove all harmful sugar or at the very least.. reduce its quantity..from soft drinks, confectionery and anything else kids drink or eat. Dont hit the health conscious adult with another tax.

If sugar was discovered in the present day, it would be classified as a drug and be a controlled substance.

Fruit juice is better as it's fructose sugar
It's best to stay away from fruit juice too because some have more sugar in than say a can of coke. Unless you are talking freshly made yourself and not out of a carton/bottle. Some so called health drinks can have the same or more sugar in too.

It's best to stay away from fruit juice too because some have more sugar in than say a can of coke. Unless you are talking freshly made yourself and not out of a carton/bottle. Some so called health drinks can have the same or more sugar in too.
Yup, by far water is the best drink in the world. Anything else should be in moderation.

I drink tap water. Love it.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I drink tap water. Love it.
I'm not supposed to, but since I've reverted from soda to water (to save money), I'll have to drink some of this lead zeppelin tap water.

I’ve drank tap water my whole life & am very healthy. Water bottles are recycled, but they don’t decompose. Billions of them in landfills.

I'm not supposed to, but since I've reverted from soda to water (to save money), I'll have to drink some of this lead zeppelin tap water.
Get yourself a Brita water filter pitcher, like this. It has a filter that will remove crappy taste from tap water. It's cheap, the filters are cheap and they last like 6 months. I've had one for almost 20 years, the same one (I just change the filter).

I’ve drank tap water my whole life & am very healthy. Water bottles are recycled, but they don’t decompose. Billions of them in landfills.
I so agree! Bottle water has all sorts of plastic dust residues, and the bottles suck for they environment. They should be outlawed.

Moving this conversation here.
Originally Posted by Gideon58
Count me in as a sufferer of insomnia. Rarely sleep more than 2 hours a night.

Really. How do you function on two hrs sleep? I used to remain awake until first lite. That was before I was forced to have a UPP operation to cure my acute Sleep Apnea. These days I take a mild sedative if I can not sleep normally. Suggest you do the same. If taken in moderation they are not addictive.

Originally Posted by Gideon58
How do I function? I go to work and drink a LOT of coffee.

Well yes you have to function.. but going without sleep is not healthy. Drinking copious amounts of coffee (caffeine) is also not overly healthy. Try a mild sedative. I use Alepam a derititive of Temazepam (prescription). Half a tab nitely is all you need for a good six hours sleep.

I can't tell everyone how much I look forward to Saturdays now. Why? It's the day I eat sugar. I liken it to doing heroin responsibly. Just one day a week, keep everything else together, but today I'm diving into the deep end.

Hurry up 10 o'clock.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I lost 5kg doing intermittent fasting for a month. @Ms. M you can try it if you like!

Obviously, for this to work you need to reduce your caloric intake, but don't trouble yourself with calculators, and don't go overboard, because starving yourself is not good. I usually eat a breakfast at 6 AM, then eat a dinner at 1 PM, and then don't eat anything until another breakfast next day. Since my dinners are very nourishing (home-cooked!) I don't really feel hungry at all, and this routine is very easy to get used to.

Also, don't obsess over the entire process. I know it might seem counterintuitive, but the less you think about it, the easier it is. Don't go about thinking you're on a diet, or something. Just behave as if you always ate this way.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I second Minio. Before I started about a month ago, I was 167 lb (75 kg) . The other day I tipped the scales at 152 lb (69 kg) . My diet is mostly the trinity of no sugar, no dairy, no grain. I stick to it for the most part. I do an hour of exercise a day, except for off days which is 30 minutes. I usually throw in a 24 hour fast on Sunday. Mainly because I probably ate like a trash can on Saturday.

What has surprised me the most is my energy level. My whole life seemed to be based on, "better eat something or you are not going to have any energy." I think this in turn helps out a lot with my mood.

I think the biggest takeaway is how easy it is to follow. No worrying about figuring out a diet and counting this or that. Just don't think you can eat a lot of garbage and think this will work.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Well, I don't work out at all and don't do 24 hour fasts, but the results are still astonishing. I'll probably go below 100 kg this year.

Sorry to hear about peoples issues must take care of yourselves

I'm 68yrs of age I have nothing wrong with me that I need medication for I am so lucky

As you get older arthritis does set in it is in my thumbs The worst thing is that I have to ask for help to open my Champagne at times

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Last I checked, I clocked in at 225lbs. For a guy who's 6'2" it's not THAT noticeable but most of my weight is in the gut area. I want to get under 200lbs, but am stuck in this routine of bad food and no exercise. MY job, which is in a warehouse lifting heavy gear all day is basically the only exercise I get. Wearing a fit bit, I clock in over 10K steps a day, burn over 3K calories a day and am 'active' for over 135 minutes on average.

The biggest thing is fast food. On the weekends my wife and I are usually out and get hungry. So it's easy to just 'grab' something at a fast food joint, this has become too common for us. She wants to lose weight too, still has some weight from the pregnancy two Decembers ago.

Kicking the habit is hard, but doable. I use to eat off a food truck at work almost every day, it affected my health and wallet. I made a bet with someone one day "first one to get food off the food truck loses" it was a $100 bet. It helped. He eventually quit, but I still haven't gone to the food truck. That was YEARS ago. So I know kicking a bad food habit is doable. I just need some kind of motivation. We kicked fast food before our wedding too, it was working. But again, sliding into bad habits is easy.

It also doesn't help that I'm extremely lazy and buying food is easier for me than making something at home and bringing it in to work. Or grabbing a microwavable meal and having that ready in a few minutes.

I'll eat an entire bag of chips by myself. I have a hard time not finishing something I open (chips, chocolates, candy, etc)

Anyone has any suggestions? Any food I should immediately start adding to my diet? Vegetables and fruit I imagine are big ones as I don't normally eat those. I'll mainly eat bananas, grapes or apples, but nothing else.

Suspect's Reviews