Neo-Noir Hall of Fame

Tools    

I'm liking the nominations so far. There's two I've seen, but it's been a while so a rewatch wouldn't hurt; then there are two I've been meaning to watch for a long time; and finally there's one I hadn't heard of. So a very diverse bag for me, so far.
That's good. We have a lot of great noms in the film noir HoF, but I've seen all of them several times except one.

Ok, I will reveal the nominations later tonight so stay tuned!

Ok, here are the nominations for the Neo-noir Hall of Fame!

NOMINATIONS

Body Heat
(Lawrence Kasdan, 1981)
GulfportDoc

La Haine
(Mathieu Kassovitz, 1955)
Torgo

Le Cercle Rouge
(Jean-Pierre Melville, 1970)
Siddon

Nightcrawler
(Dan Gilroy, 2014)
PHOENIX74

Red Rock West
(John Dahl, 1993)
Thief

Shallow Grave
(Danny Boyle, 1994)
Holden Pike

Sin City
(Robert Rodriguez & Frank Miller, 2005)
KeyserCorleone

Tightrope
(Richard Tuggle, 1984)
Wyldesyde19

Still open for nominations from anyone that was on the sidelines. As for me, here's where I fall with the noms.

Seen before, but wouldn't mind a rewatch
Nightcrawler
Sin City

On my radar for a long time
Body Heat
La Haine
Shallow Grave

Didn't even know about it
Tightrope

RED ROCK WEST
(1993, Dahl)

"You're a nice guy, aren't you, Michael?"
"I try to be."

Red Rock West follows Michael (Nicolas Cage), a drifter desperately looking for a job in rural Wyoming. In the process, he finds himself in the middle of a misunderstanding when a bar owner (J.T. Walsh) mistakes him for a hitman he hired to murder his wife (Lara Flynn Boyle). Things get even more complicated when the actual hitman (Dennis Hopper) arrives and stumbles upon Michael.

Michael is, essentially, a "nice guy" and the film makes a point of letting us know that he is. From his unwillingness to hide an injury that costs him a job or his inability to steal some money from an unsupervised cash register to endanger himself by going back into Red Rock to warn the wife, Suzanne, that her husband, Wayne, wanted to have her killed. It is that conversation the one that prompts the above quoted response from her.

It is perhaps that "niceness" what ends up getting Michael in more and more trouble. Once he enters Red Rock, every "nice" action he does ends up sinking him deeper into the mess. The film has a few twists and a certain grit to it that just makes it work, in addition to its neo-noir vibe, which reminds me of classic film noirs like Detour or maybe even D.O.A. to some extent.

Cage has always done a great job portraying vulnerable guys that are cornered into complicated situations all while trying to come afloat and still be "nice". He's also paired with a solid supporting cast, with Hopper easily having the meatier role. His performance as Lyle (from Dallas) is not equal to Frank Booth, but it's somewhere in that area. Walsh and Boyle are both pretty good too.

It's possible that I rented this film back in the 1990s, but I can't remember. So when a good friend recommended it to me, it was nice to follow through and finally catch up with it.

Grade:

I'm not in this, but that looks like a great set of noms. The only one I've seen is Body Heat which was chose for me in the Personal Recommendation HoF VI (why don't we do those anymore?) I wrote this about it:

Body Heat (1981)
*Spoilers*

Wahoo, this was a good one! I thought I might like it but I didn't think it would be so well crafted and it really was well written too. I went into this blind except of course I'd heard of this ever since it first came out. I imaged that this was a crime drama and indeed IMDB tags it as Crime-Drama-Romance...but hot damn this was a neo-noir and one of the best neo-noirs I've seen.

Right at the start when this shady lawyer tries to pick up this hot woman on a hot night in Florida, I was hooked. I noticed the dialog between William Hurt and Kathleen Turner sounded like the famous lines between Bogie and Bacall in To Have and Have Not. Other movies have emulated To Have and Have Not, only they come off as a faux copy of the original. Here in Body Heat the 'pick up' dialogue sounds natural. I believed these people would talk and act like this. So that was the first act which blew me away!

The second act was the planning and execution of the murder of Turner's husband. This is where I thought 'how cool' that it was inspired by one of my favorite movies Double Indemnity. And yet like the first act it wasn't some hackney copy, it was its own movie and that's not always easy to do in neo-noir. The second act was short but effective.

Now the third act is usually where films lose me as they go way over the top, but not here, everything was still nicely balanced. The third act has the non-too-bright lawyer (
William Hurt) slowly becoming a suspect in the murder of Kathleen Turner's husband. I loved that the film never rushes that suspicion and despite the rather hap-hazard behavior of the lawyer he manages to be smart enough to explain or avoid most of the situations that would land him in hot water. Such an intelligently written film, I enjoyed it.

Just added Siddon's nomination to the second post and the above one. Thanks!

Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler captures all of the tension one feels traversing the night streets while out of your car, and makes room for a little car action on the side. The movie is also really heavy on capturing the themes of what makes a real news reporter as opposed to a real human being. Constantly we're following Jake Gyllenhaal as if we were his assistants in this epic search for the perfect story, but it's not until the end where we realize what we were really doing with him, almost as if the message was going right over our heads until the end, and I kinda loved that as far as the art of moviemaking went. It made me not only question this human being's right to effing live, but also myself in some ways. This is a movie about humanity, and it hurts just as much as it thrills because this is real world drama that's not only caught on camera, but is meant to feel like it's put right in front of the audience in real life. Guess all you gotta do is make a movie about a guy with a camera.

Sin City

I nominated this because it checks all the boxes bnecessary for a perfect rating for me. It might have a lot of artistic visual focus which is a staple for Rodriguez, and these may be his best visuals ever thanks to the pairing with Frank Miller as co-director, but this was WRITTEN by Miller, an expert comic artist and wreiter. And the stories he wrote in the comics are told faithfully and with the perfect cast to back up each of these very cool, if not intentionally and comedically outlandish, stories of crime, fear and courage, raw badassery and the essence of the noir genre. I admit, sometimes I find myself having difficulty going back to this movie because one character didn't get his proper due, but this is an anthology movie that I consider better than Pulp Fiction. In fact, this movie also served as an influence on some fairly noirish things I would like to write. And on an obnoxious side note, I honestly think this is the best thing to evolve out of the 2000's obsession with dark and gritty, and Loonatics Unleashed should've taken a few parody cues from this. Instead, you'll have to settle for the practice fanfic I wrote :P :P :P.

Hey, I dug that pit, and I'm gonna sleep in it with a hot woman by my side.

Nice! I've already started linking the reviews on the first post, people.

My take on...

Red Rock West (1993)

This is a solid neo-noir set in present day Wyoming, with a little dark comedy and some Hitchcockian twists thrown in. It’s both directed and written by John Dahl (Unforgettable; Rounders)-- well known for his neo-noir work. DP Marc Reshovsky provides some very tasty photography. Composer William Olvis provides an expressive and moody score.

After Michael Williams (Nicholas Cage) is discharged from the Marine Corps he drifts around looking for work. He’s rejected as a hire for an oil field worker due to a war injury to his leg. His wandering takes him to Red Rock, Wyoming. When he sits down at a bar, and the bartender, Wayne (J.T. Walsh), spots Williams’ Texas license plates out front, the bartender mistakenly presumes that Williams is the hit man (Lyle from Texas) that he has hired to murder his wife. When the bartender plunks down one-half payment of the hit man’s fee, Williams sees the mistake, plays along, and accepts the money.

Instead, Williams goes to the man’s wife, Suzanne (Lara Flynn Boyle), and informs her of her husband’s murder plot. Suzanne then offers Williams double the money to kill her husband. After that meeting Williams decides to leave town, but along the way he has an auto accident. When the sheriff shows up it turns out that he is the same man as Wayne the bartender who he met earlier. Wayne realizes the ruse, and wants to dispose of Williams. But Williams escapes on foot, and is eventually picked up by a motorist who turns out to be the real hit man-- Lyle from Texas (Dennis Hopper).

The two bad guys, the femme fatale, and Williams proceed to partake in a deadly square dance to get the cache of money that Wayne had stolen back east, and to do away with each other. It all comes to head when the quartet ends up at a remote graveyard to dig up the stolen money, leading to a satisfying finish.

Michael tries several times to get out of Red Rock, but keeps getting brought back for one reason or another. Being chased by the bad guys at one point, he jumps off of a building onto a departing semi truck to get out of town. But several miles later the truck driver (Dwight Yoakam) discovers him, only to order him out of the truck at gunpoint.

The casting was first rate. Cage is good at playing a guy thrown into a situation not entirely of his making, and in that way is a little reminiscent of his hapless character’s role in Raising Arizona. Boyle (Twin Peaks) makes for a convincing femme fatale. The inestimable J.T. Walsh is perfect as an unblinking double dealer. And Hopper couldn’t have been a better choice for a kooky but threatening hit man who’s going for all the marbles.

Doc’s rating: 8/10

You know, I'm glad HP nommed Shallow Grave. I was thinking about watching more Danny Boyle.
Yep. It's one that has been on my radar for a long time.

I forgot the opening line.
I just happened to have a time put aside to see Body Heat with a friend of mine this Sunday. What are the chances? These coincidences keep popping up in Hall of Fames.

I have La Haine and Sin City - due to see both of those again.

Haven't seen Le Cercle Rouge, Red Rock West, Shallow Grave and Tightrope - though with those last two, it might just be I did see them a long, long time ago and can't quite remember.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

As for me, here's where I fall with the noms.
Seen before, but wouldn't mind a rewatch
Nightcrawler
Sin City
On my radar for a long time
Body Heat
La Haine
Shallow Grave
Didn't even know about it
Tightrope
SEEN BEFORE:
Body Heat, La Haine, Le Cercle Rouge, Nightcrawler, Red Rock West, Shallow Grave, SIN CITY, and Tightrope.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

For my personal definition the only two Eastwood flicks that really classify as Neo-Noir are Sudden Impact (which is the fourth Harry Callahan pic) and Tightrope, where he plays a cop nothing like his famous .44 Magnum-weilding detective.

I wrote a bunch about Tightrope in THIS THREAD....

Tightrope, released in 1984, is one of Clint's most mature and well-made genre efforts. The story of a New Orleans homicide detective investigating a series of grisly sexual-based murders that highlight his own kinky perversions and seem to implicate him as the prime suspect, it's a gritty and stylish neo-Noir with psycho-sexual themes and a terrific and layered central performance by Eastwood, taking the de-mythologizing of his Cop persona drastically further than he had in The Gauntlet. However, if you look at the credits, it'll say "DIRECTED BY RICHARD TUGGLE".

Tuggle was a screenwriter who had worked for Eastwood and Malpaso when he adapted Escape from Alcatraz for the screen, the last movie Clint and his mentor director Don Siegel worked on together. Clint was impressed with his work, and when Malpaso started developing one of Tuggle's original screenplays, Tightrope, Clint decided he'd give the screenwriter a shot at directing the project. Eastwood had done this before, promoting all the way up to director from personnel within Malpaso: when he got Michael Cimino his debut with Thunderbolt & Lightfoot (1974) after he'd written on Magnum Force (1973), and longtime stunt-actor and coordinator Buddy Van Horn who helmed Any Which Way You Can (1980) and later The Dead Pool (1988) and Pink Cadillac (1989).

But after only two days of production, Eastwood felt Tuggle wasn't up to the challenge. He let him go and stepped in to complete essentially the entire film with his own direction (Clint had directed ten features by then). The filming went smoothly, it turned out to be an excellent film, but when it came to arbitration with the Director's Guild they determined, in a landmark precedent, that Eastwood could not receive directorial credit - no matter how much of Tuggle's footage was or wasn't in the finished film. Because Clint was not only the principal star of the film but also the executive producer, the Guild decided they'd err on the side of caution and protect the original director. Still to this day it is called the Directors Guild of America's "Eastwood Rule". It's meant to protect directors from having their credit taken by a producer after filming has begun. Understandable, there have been horror stories over the years (some resulting in the infamous Alan Smithee pseudonym credit), but in the particular case of Tightrope maybe they should have looked at the specifics rather than automatically over-protecting the original director?

So anywho, it is still and will always be officially credited to Tuggle (who only directed one other film afterwards: 1986's Out of Bounds, a routine thriller starring Anthony Michael Hall), but Tightrope was directed by Clint Eastwood. Thus the asterisk, and my inclusion of it when I rated his filmography as director.

Don't know how many of you have seen Tightrope (it was a cable TV mainstay for years), but it's well worth tracking down. It is available on R1 DVD, so it shouldn't be impossible to locate. I definitely recommend it, directorial controversy or not. In addition to Eastwood's fine work in front of the camera (there was serious buzz that he may get his first Oscar nomination as actor for it - though ultimately that didn't happen until Unforgiven), it also showcases strong work by diminutive but sexy Canadian actress Geneviève Bujold (Anne of a Thousand Days, Dead Ringers, Coma). And Clint's own real-life daughter Alison plays one of his character's daughters (son Kyle, now a successful Jazz musician, co-starred in Honkytonk Man). Alison has become an actress as an adult, starring in Clint's Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil as well as mostly straight-to-video stuff like Just a Little Harmless Sex and Friends & Lovers. She bared all in a 2003 issue of Playboy, and frankly that's well worth tracking down too.

Besides the kinky sex stuff Eastwood's character is into, the fact that he has two young daughters makes him much different than Harry Callahan, who seems to have zero personal life. These dark worlds of his police work and his extracurricular sexual activities juxtaposed with raising two young girls as a single father is an interesting mix, and not something he had played much to that point.

The New Orleans locations are used well, especially the scene in the warehouse of the Mardi Gras floats and the final chase through the graveyard and onto the train tracks. This was a few years before The Big Easy and Angel Heart as well as No Mercy and Down By Law and Johnny Handsome. After those slew of '80s films New Orleans became a regular cinematic location, from Hard Target and Zandalee and Undercover Blues in the early '90s and beyond.

As for the thriller and police procedural element, there isn't too much there. The faceless killer pretty much remains faceless until the very end, it is his creeping menace hiding in the dark that is leaned on rather than his motive, which is revealed very late. In today's climate I expect the sexual stuff would be even more explicit and maybe pressure to have more of a mystery about who the killer is and more of a twist in his reveal. But for its time and certainly for Eastwood's persona, it is pretty racy, bold, and memorable.

FOR HALL OF FAME PURPOSES:

SEEN BEFORE:
Body Heat, La Haine, Le Cercle Rouge, Nightcrawler, Red Rock West, Shallow Grave, SIN CITY, and Tightrope.
Easy peasy HoF for you!

Here are some of the more Noir-ish stills I pulled from Tightrope (1984)...

Cinematography by Bruce Surtees (Night Moves, Escape from Alcatraz, The Outfit, Play Misty for Me, High Plains Drifter, The Outlaw Josey Wales, White Dog, Beverly Hills Cop). Editing by Joel Cox (Unforgiven, Bird, The Gauntlet, A Perfect World, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, Prisoners).

The trick is not minding
Glad to see there’s another fan of Toghrrope. Saw it a few years ago and I felt it was a very under appreciated film he made and also pretty great. Ke ya see how it holds up upon a rewatch

La Haine is one of my all time/all genres favorite films ever. Never thought of it as a neo-noir though. It’ll be interesting to read others' thoughts on it. I might still consider it for my list afterwards.