Adam Sandler: opinions? why do so many people think he's no longer funny?

Tools    

It might be this lady.

She was the only reason I watched it and the only reason I made it to the end. And this is a good Sandler film.

Here's how bad I believe Freddy Got Fingered to be. Drew has a cameo and I've still not even seen the film. Forget not owning it. I've not seen it. I even own this, and I think Stiller is less funny than Sandler.

That's how bad I think FGF is.
*GASP!*

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
My problem with Sandler these days is that he is playing himself in every movie. Some rich guy with a sense of humour. Add onto the fact that he makes movies that seem like he's on vacation.

Jack and Jill? Trip to Italy.
Just Go With It? Trip to Hawaii and make out with Brooklyn Decker
Grown Ups he hangs out with his best friends and gets paid to do it.

I Now Pronounce You, Click, Funny People*, Bedtime Stories, Longest Yard, are all varied versions of regular Adam Sandler. In Funny People they make fun of the absurd stuff that he did in his career (fake movie trailers) so you would think that this is him saying that he recognizes his faults and wants to change....then he does a film that could fit in that criteria with Jack and Jill. It's almost as if he knows he's making crap and he's having the last laugh cause he's slapping you in the face with it, yet people eat it up.

In a last ditch effort to make something like Waterboy, Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison, we get That's My Boy, which is a pathetic attempt at getting back the fans he's already lost. He hasn't made a funny film in YEARS.

His best work?

Punch Drunk Love
The Wedding Singer
Happy Gilmore
Billy Madison

His worst work:

Mr. Deeds
Jack and Jill
That's My Boy
Grown Ups

I would have loved to have seen him in Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds instead of Roth, give us something out of left field again, like Punch Drunk Love. I'll even take Reign Over Me over the trash he puts out these days.

All he seems to see is $$$$.

Suspect's Reviews

He does pander to his "lowbrow" fanbase. Many of his movies are pretty dumb excuses for him to do his schtick. I've never thought of him personally as being hilarious, just amusing and likeable. I'd like to see less dumb stuff. I'm sure he can be goofy in a movie without it being full-blown mentally retarded.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

MI would have loved to have seen him in Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds instead of Roth, give us something out of left field again, like Punch Drunk Love.
This. Both for Sandler's benefit, and for the film's. I love Basterds something' fierce, but I was really bummed when I heard the Sandler thing hadn't happened. I think that would've been another inspired QT casting choice.

I've seen a lot of flack about Adam Sandler on here, and I agree he's made some not-so-great movies in the past, oh, ever, but I think he's fairly consistent with comedy vs crap. My main example for his recent movie haters is Just Go With It, which I thought was a pretty good movie.
Just Go With It was quite decent and entertaining. Though his other recent movies that I watched were pure garbage (the one with his twin and the one with his son).

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
There are a few Adam Sandler films I like. Grown Ups is one of my favourites, the Expendables of comedy actors that no one really likes, Happy Gilmore is great and The Waterboy is probably my favourite of his films. I like his early stuff a lot more than his later stuff, before he started casting that idiot Nick Swardson in every single one of his films.
Damn Grown Ups suck. How can you like that movie?. Kevin James is about as funny as getting kicked in the nuts.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Grown Ups has several funny lines, and there is a certain level of chemistry amongst the leads. I just find it to be a funny, good-natured film with a good soundtrack (Aerosmith! AC/DC! REO Speedwagon?).

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Grown Ups has several funny lines, and there is a certain level of chemistry amongst the leads. I just find it to be a funny, good-natured film with a good soundtrack (Aerosmith! AC/DC! REO Speedwagon?).
Good soundtrack?, go buy the album. No seriously I found Grown Ups pure trash.

Not Enough Time
For that one post, Duplex is just a horrible movie anyway. Awful.

And granted a lot of the reason I find Grown Ups funny is from the ensemble cast, it is far FAR from trash. If that's trash, well then what would you consider a treasure?

"If dreams are like movies then memories are films about ghosts"

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'll post my Sandler ratings next for my rank-o-meter. I like him, but yes he has had some bad obviously. I don't think as much as other people make it out to be though.

I should've mentioned this in my previous post, but in an obvious attempt to try to reverse his career trajectory, Sandler's teamed up with Drew again. Finally, another Drew film.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Watch old Adam Sandler movies. There's something strangely charming about them. Adam Sandler creates these sad sack weirdos and an oddball community of folks around them, and he LOVES these people. He celebrates their goofiness. Ever since Sandler got older, he's been eschewing this kind of good natured comedy for cheap laughs, maudlin sentiments, and sometimes outright mean-spiritedness. That's my Boy is Awful because it's mean, it's gross, and it's a celebration of being a total douchebag. Grown Ups is almost good, it had heart, but it's really just him and his crew passing off their vacation home movies as an actual film, with no characterization or plot.

Adam has gotten lazy. He can't go back to making the types of films he's made in the past because he's not a young man anymore, but he also can't keep on the trajectory he's going on. He needs to make films with name directors, not his buddies, and he needs to stop producing crap films as favors to his friends.

This all said, I quite liked You Don't Mess With the Zohan. It was a funny, near Mel Brooks level satire on the whole Israel and Palestine mess. Making a funny film from a dead serious topic? Loved it. Pretty much everything after? Garbage. I look forward to seeing him with Drew Barrymore again, they bring out the best in each other.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
I like his older stuff a lot because it was Sandler making actual jokes. Now he's just finding an excuse to bring back his "angry" persona that people fell in love with, and that irritates me. I'd actually rather see him in more dramatic roles like Punch-Drunk Love and Reign Over Me (two highly underrated films)

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Honestly, I grew up watching Adam Sandler as a kid, and I actually enjoyed a lot of his stuff. As the years went by, I grew older, and a little wiser, I suppose, and started seeing them in a different light. In this, I have deduced that I never actually thought Adam Sandler was even remotely funny. I can't enjoy Little Nicky when I watch it anymore, and I can't enjoy Billy Madison. With that, I do think that he's a very talented actor. I found for Click to be very entertaining because of his acting, I thought Eight Crazy Nights was charming, if a little too unnecessarily vulgar, and most notably, I thought that he did tremendously in Reign Over Me.

I'm not too sure how I feel about Adam Sandler's current work, and I'm not even sure his past work deserves much credit, but it's the little things moments where he shows his acting capabilities that I find myself appreciating him.

I haven't seen that many Sandler movies.
He was funny in Happy Gilmore and a couple of other films I saw with him.
He's hardly a comic genius but can be amusing in small doses.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I much prefer the older Adam Sandler films to the newer ones he has done. (Theres quite afew new ones I havent seen mind you) His best work was back in the days of, Waterboy, Happy Gilmore, Big Daddy and Billy Madison IMO