How profitable would a VCR repair and sell business be?

Tools    

Not Enough Time
I pose this question to those who would most have a use for a VCR - you guys! I personally love my VCR(s), when they work, because there are so many VHS tapes either you can't find on DVD or are really expensive on DVD, or you just have old VHS tapes you want to watch. I've been thinking I would like to start to find, repair, and sell old VCRs. I know there are few that haven't been demolished yet, but if there's anyone else out there like me in need a VCR, I'd like to help. But as a profitable business, I wasn't sure there would be much point. How many people are really looking for a VCR? Or have a VCR they even would want fixed? How much would they be willing to pay? These are the type of questions I've been wondering, and wanted to get outside opinions.

On a similar note, anyone trying to get rid of VHS tapes can holla atchya girl right here.

"If dreams are like movies then memories are films about ghosts"

It may be better as a moonlighting thing so to speak... rather than an actual full time business.

VCRs are pretty much redundant these days. As you said though, people do still use them at home for certain things like films that are unavailable on DVD and BluRay...

... but still, I'd say putting it out there that repairs are available if people need it and just going by ear is probably the best thing to do.

Yeah, a nice side business conducted over the Internet, if only because it's low-risk if it doesn't work. No real overhead.

It might be more profitable, however, to offer to buy the old ones cheap (or just find old ones cheap), fix them up, and then sell them on eBay. I can't imagine they go for much, but they'll probably be harder to find as time goes on, too.

Interesting idea, either way.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
What's a VCR?

Yep, definitely a side business only, you would be stupid to take it on as a full time thing especially now as DVD player and even Blu-ray players are really cheap and getting cheaper still - DVD films are really cheap now too.

Not Enough Time
Thanks guys Yeah, I agree I only really thought of it as a side business at the most. Even just a hobby, with the service available if people needed it. I'm definitely trying to find old ones, and I also am thinking ahead where as in a few (5-10) years they'll be virtually, if not actually, impossible to find, and good ones will be collectors items, antiques, etc. Plus it's good to keep them around for when one of mine breaks and I need another one....

Some VHS tapes are already getting expensive because they're hard to find and the DVD versions are even more expensive than the tape. I wanted to buy Monsters, Inc. and its so popular the DVDs were full price or more and the VHS tapes were even like $10.

On a similar note, anyone got any tips of eBay? Creating an account and what's needed to do so? Does making an account automatically give you ability to sell and buy? Etc., etc....