I'm Not There - Who Will Make the Best Bob Dylan.

Tools    

Who will play the best Bob Dylan in the upcoming film I'm Not There...Cate Blanchet, Richard Gere, Christian Bale, or Heath Ledger?

Also, how about the soundtrack! I heard who's on it the other day and it sounds ridiculous! Eddie Vedder, Sonic Youth, Sufjan Stevens , Yo La Tengo, Jeff Tweedy, and John Doe all doing Dylan covers! That should be a really cool soundtrack!

There was a piece on this in the New York Times Magazine a couple weekends back. I gotta say the most intriguing and the one who looks the most like Dylan is indeed Blanchett. And I'm really very curious to see young Marcus Carl Franklin's episode.

I'm curious to see the whole thing, actually. Haynes is real hit or miss with me, but I can hardly wait for this one.

The link to that Times piece is right HERE.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

There was a piece on this in the New York Times Magazine a couple weekends back. I gotta say the most intriguing and the one who looks the most like Dylan is indeed Blanchett. And I'm really very curious to see young Marcus Carl Franklin's episode.

I'm curious to see the whole thing, actually. Haynes is real hit or miss with me, but I can hardly wait for this one.

Lord, what's next? A film on the life and hard times of Willie Nelson?

Originally Posted by rufnek
Lord, what's next? A film on the life and hard times of Willie Nelson?
Well, in case you couldn't tell, you know, from the casting alone, this is not a straight biopic in any way, shape or form. More like 32 Short Films About Glenn Gould, if anything.

I would think Adam Sandler but how he looked in Reign Over Me.

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

Certifiably troglodytic.

Bale has a Mark McGrath aura....
Ledger is a bit Johnny Knoxville vs. a roughed-up George Michael where neither wins....
Is it me, or does Gere's take look like a chubby The Edge, of U2?
Blanchett frighteningly wins this one.

I could tell you were ripping into Dylan, but I wasn't sure if you were criticizing Blanchett. Now that I learn you were...well...hell, I don't know what to say to persuade you otherwise. She's simply brilliant.

I could tell you were ripping into Dylan, but I wasn't sure if you were criticizing Blanchett. Now that I learn you were...well...hell, I don't know what to say to persuade you otherwise. She's simply brilliant.
I don't necessarily dislike Blanchett: she's extraordinarily talented. Nonetheless, like a lot of actors who have shuffled between stage and screen (especially those who've done a lot of work in period dramas), I think she tends to bring a tangible level of artifice or affect to most roles, a certain stylized rather than naturalistic touch that is appropriate when playing an institution (Queen Elizabeth), but off-putting when applied to more normal characters. I just wish she was better at turning the affect on and off, just as I wish Bob Dylan had a set of testicles.

Officer 663: have you seen Heaven? I agree with you on Blanchett, and I think that affect is probably why she was so successful playing Hepburn. It can be annoying though, in my mind the most annoying example is Oscar & Lucinda, where it seems she and Fiennes are trying to one-up each others' awkward mannerisms and speaking styles to the point where it distracts from the good parts of the film. Anyway about Heaven, her acting isn't the thing to watch that film for, but I think it's a decent example that she can "turn it off" and let the overall style of the film speak for itself.

I haven't heard anything on this project until now, but I am going to break catagory. I know I am going to get grief for this, but I stand by this statement...

Hayden Christensen

In 'Factory Girl' he played a 'The Musician' inspired by Dylan & it is the first movie I have seen with him, that I completely forgot he was Anakin Skywalker.

'Factory Girl' was terrible, because it was a fictional bio-pic on people in history who had much more interesting lives then what was fictionalized in the script & it needed narration from Warhol rather then, Edie.

The, Edie narration only continually reminded the view she was naive. Without narration from, Warhol it worked against the movie because Guy Pearce was a brilliant and true to form Warhol, which means no insight of in his emotions since Warhol's interviews with reporters, he rarely gave an answer that wasn't a monosyllable answer & while he was friends, he would usually make a comment 'who cares about me..' then compliment that person who asked his emotional opinions, to redirect conversations.

Hayden, his Dillianesque performance was very good in my opinion.

I would think Adam Sandler but how he looked in Reign Over Me.
I agree with you totally. He really did look like Bob Dylan. When I first saw the preview for Reign Over Me I thought it was a preview for the new Bob Dylan movie.

I haven't heard anything on this project until now, but I am going to break catagory. I know I am going to get grief for this, but I stand by this statement...

Hayden Christensen

In 'Factory Girl' he played a 'The Musician' inspired by Dylan & it is the first movie I have seen with him, that I completely forgot he was Anakin Skywalker.
LMAO he deserves what I am about to say after the wicked witch remark. Dont believe the sentiment of this statement because he is in total man-love with Ani!

Bad Morther****er
This is a tough one, especially cause I haven't seen frame one of the film. I know that this type of film lends itself to compairison, but I think it's the wrong way to go with this picture. Dylan is famously mercurial and changes more from day to day than most will over a decade, which I guess is at least a surface analysis of the film. That being said, from the trailer, I am really looking forward to Gere's and Bale's Dylan.

To the Blanchett thing, I think maybe a bit too much is being made of her. Don't get me wrong, I think she is a good actress, and I have not seen her in the film. It just seems to me that in the last few years so much has been made of what happens in the make-up chair. It just seems like so many are unable to appreciate a subtel performance over a big showy one with a major make-up transformation.
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith