Worlds Best Vampire Movie?

Tools    

I didn't notice those stubby little legs back there.
Best dragon movie ?

That's got to be Hobbit 2: the desolation of smaug.
I'm going to have to go for Dragonslayer. The reason is that the dragons in that are seriously frightening, no matter how poor the film is in itself.

I didn't notice those stubby little legs back there.
Best dragon movie ?

That's got to be Hobbit 2: the desolation of smaug.
Speaking of... how 'bout Dragon Wars? Who got sold on that?

Personally I'd lean in favor of Reign of Fire.

Speaking of... how 'bout Dragon Wars? Who got sold on that?

Personally I'd lean in favor of Reign of Fire.
Reign of Fire was very good.

I really need to see Murnau's Nosferatu
I must get the Blu-ray. I recommend the version with the score by James Bernard, but I see that the high definition version has the original score which would be really interesting to hear.

I recently re-watched Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) last month.

I remember distinctly disliking this movie the first and only other time I saw it in the theater (my criticisms then were that it was long, slow, boring and not the famous vampire I was accustomed to). Remarkably, it was never Keanu's attempted British accent that bothered me.

It wasn't quite as bad as I remember it in the re-watch and I took note of a certain "artsy" quality to the film and some rather beautiful transition scenes (now that I'm a bit more inclined to notice such things). Granted, the lines between shlocky, artsy and pretentious are thin... and I guess where this film falls is a matter of opinion.

The ending seemed a bit abrupt. One thing that stands out (from what I've read, since I've never actually read the original Stoker story) is that calling this "Bram Stoker's Dracula" is a bit of a crime since it veers so far from the source that people have said that Stoker wouldn't even recognize it as having anything to do with his novel.

Remarkably, it was never Keanu's attempted British accent that bothered me.
Or Winona's. "Are you acquainted with my hus-bind?"

Blade because Wesley Snipes as Blade vs. the seedy vampire underworld is badass. I also liked the subplot of the vampiric classism between old and new vampires. Deacon Frost's character went from bully gang leader to vampire god to a busted boil in a pretty spectacular fashion.

I think Blood: The Last Vampire, Near Dark, and Interview With a Vampire would be my favorites. I really need to see Let the Right One In.

I recently re-watched Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) last month.

I remember distinctly disliking this movie the first and only other time I saw it in the theater (my criticisms then were that it was long, slow, boring and not the famous vampire I was accustomed to). Remarkably, it was never Keanu's attempted British accent that bothered me.

It wasn't quite as bad as I remember it in the re-watch and I took note of a certain "artsy" quality to the film and some rather beautiful transition scenes (now that I'm a bit more inclined to notice such things). Granted, the lines between shlocky, artsy and pretentious are thin... and I guess where this film falls is a matter of opinion.

The ending seemed a bit abrupt. One thing that stands out (from what I've read, since I've never actually read the original Stoker story) is that calling this "Bram Stoker's Dracula" is a bit of a crime since it veers so far from the source that people have said that Stoker wouldn't even recognize it as having anything to do with his novel.

The look and feel of the film though was designed to be a stage play. If you look at the sets, they actually look like sets and look like they've been set up on a stage. This was a conscious decision by Coppola so the movie would invoke feelings of "opera" in the audience's minds.

Coppola is apparently an expert on the book, and the changes between book and film are aesthetic at best tbh. He read the book several times when he was a kid, and read it to his kids almost every night too.
Mina and Dracula's relationship with Mina looking almost exactly like Dracula's wife which is why he's attracted to her (both characters were obviously played by Winona Ryder)... and Dracula being relatively sympathetic at times (in the book he's simply just evil) are just some small changes.

Blade because Wesley Snipes as Blade vs. the seedy vampire underworld is badass. I also liked the subplot of the vampiric classism between old and new vampires. Deacon Frost's character went from bully gang leader to vampire god to a busted boil in a pretty spectacular fashion.
Blade was great when it came out and it's by far the best film of the series. Stephen Dorff was fantastic wasn't he?

That's a vampire movie in name only.
Well, that's the dumbest thing I've heard today.

Anyway, I should also add Vampire Hunter D.

I didn't like the Blade series. Pretty generic boring action with no substance.

Originally Posted by Zotis
You must not hear dumb things very often, but I know your taste in music so...

Seriously though, they could've called them mutants or genetically engineered supersoldiers or something and you wouldn't know the difference.

Byzantium was pretty good!

Originally Posted by Zotis
You must not hear dumb things very often, but I know your taste in music so...

Seriously though, they could've called them mutants or genetically engineered supersoldiers or something and you wouldn't know the difference.
Aren't you forgetting that the main character was a "pure" vampire. And Blood is not the only vampire work to have monstrous lesser vampires. Haven't you seen Hellsing?

Aren't you forgetting that the main character was a "pure" vampire.
No, I'm not. Regardless of whatever kind of vampire she was she barely exhibited any vampire qualities.

And Blood is not the only vampire work to have monstrous lesser vampires. Haven't you seen Hellsing?
At least in Hellsing, Alucard was drinking people's blood, capable of transmogrifying into bats, and had an aversion to crucifixes.

You can do whatever you want with your "lesser vampires" or "thrulls", but your vampires should at least be vampiric. There was more bloodsucking in Twilight than Blood: The Last Vampire.

Which had none. Just unrecognizable monsters eating people.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I really like 30 Days of Night, mainly due to the cold creature like Vampires, literally no redeeming qualities. Just a dark bleak film.

Underworld is a favourite although a little silly at times, Victor is a fantastic character.

The Lost Boys is great fun.

Blade is a favourite too.