The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Only hint/poem I've been able to come up with for tomorrow is probably too obvious, for at least one of the films, so let's go with this:

Tomorrow's hint:

Quick guesses: Alien and The Social Network.

Only hint/poem I've been able to come up with for tomorrow is probably too obvious, for at least one of the films, so let's go with this:

Tomorrow's hint:

. . . . . . Signs

. . . . . . .and

Secrets & Lies (1996)

I'm gonna give people the option of using the cryptic poem if they want the boost:

WARNING: "Two-morrow's hint" spoilers below
Whether estranged on the range
Or just plain insane
Whether your strength has peaked
Or is on the wane

In both our stories
It's hard to live
Having done some things
You can't forgive

I'm gonna give people the option of using the cryptic poem if they want the boost:

Or just plain insane
Or is on the wane

In both our stories
It's hard to live
Having done some things
You can't forgive
WARNING: "Reply to hints" spoilers below
Looks like Cricket got that one spot on then

As for the other one I'm not sure. I kept thinking Memento was going to show up so maybe that.

Ye Gods no, I might accidentally get one right if I did that

Or just plain insane
Or is on the wane

In both our stories
It's hard to live
Having done some things
You can't forgive
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Unforgiven?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Adventure Starts Here!
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Unforgiven?
I like that you're always guessing One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and I'm always guessing...

INCEPTION!

No, wait...

Unforgiven and
Inception.

Or... no...

Never mind. I'm clueless.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Okay, I just watched The Third Man.

Can someone explain to me what was up with the musical score for this movie? It sounded like music you'd hear in a bad Spanish comedy or something. Honestly, it was repetitive (except for the volume and speed) and didn't fit with the story at all.

Am I just an uncouth jerk or what?

Two very different films. Persona is a more slow and poetic piece of cinema while Silence of the Lambs is more classic dark thriller.*

I think I loved the former more for its symbolic and very unique experience... I love me some Bergman. But of course the latter is an iconic film with lots of talent involved in front and behind the camera. Both, for different reasons, deserves to be on the list I would say.

Can someone explain to me what was up with the musical score for this movie? It sounded like music you'd hear in a bad Spanish comedy or something. Honestly, it was repetitive (except for the volume and speed) and didn't fit with the story at all.

It's not just you, the zither music is fairly polarizing.

Nope you're not! You're now officially the coolest person on the board Welcome to the I hate the zither club! Founded by me...I like the movie, but not the damn zither score

The zither was a popular and ubiquitous instrument used in mid 20th Century Europe for music of the day. It's use perfectly evoked the time, spirit and setting of the film.

Still, if one did not realize it's significance, nor was not familiar with the instrument, it's understandable how one could be surprised by its unusual sound.

The director, Carol Reed, heard the instrument being played in Vienna at a production party (some say a cafe), and he was immediately smitten by the sound. In my opinion the use of the instrument, and Anton Karas' stylings in particular, was a masterstroke. I couldn't imagine the film without it.