Welcome To Our Nightmare: A Terror and Wooley Horror Show

Tools    

Gonna assume "as others have" refers to himself after he lost an eye.

WARNING: "Eyepatch gorilla" spoilers below
That's what he looks like now that he only has one eye.

Victim of The Night
I think Wooley and Cap'n are old enough to appreciate this, an LP from my youth.

Dude. I didn't know this. But I'm a Book and Record lover from of old. And this is exactly the sort of thing we want here.

Victim of The Night
I've been slacking here lately, sorry.
Just had to chime in about Mystery of the Wax Museum, one of my favorite 30s horrors. Wray is awesome and Atwill is too of course. The comic relief in films of this vintage is often cringe-worthy but I find the two wise-cracking reporters to be legitimately funny here, which is a bonus.
But most importantly it's a just a gorgeous movie. The two-strip technicolor process did not result in a very naturalistic look, but that suits this sort of film just fine. (I'd like to see what a straightforward drama would look like). I posted a review on RT a hundred years ago in which I included probably 10 screenshots because I couldn't pick just one. Those blue/green walls that are everywhere just push all of my buttons.
Another instance in which you and I are of one mind, at a granular level.

Victim of The Night

My older cousin had this trash can in his room and I've been lusting after it since approximately 1979. (He's still got it but won't give it to me)
Tha ****?!

Victim of The Night

The Monster and the Girl (1941)

I feel like Wooley's watching better movies than I am.

I am having a helluva run.
Wait til I get to the one that says "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye".

Victim of The Night
Not really a horror movie, but have you seen Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla? Features Bela Lugosi, gorilla suits and a Martin and Lewis ripoff duo. I think it's on Tubi.
I know of it but I just never could bring myself to chase it.
The movies where you're clearly just watching Lugosi die in professional pain are hard for me to watch. Even as much as I love The Body Snatcher, watching Lugosi nibbling on the crumbs just hurts me.

Victim of The Night
Also, we had these decorations back in like the 70s or something, if I remember right:

Victim of The Night
Oh, and this guy was a major player in my house in October as a kid.

Gonna assume "as others have" refers to himself after he lost an eye.

WARNING: "Eyepatch gorilla" spoilers below
That's what he looks like now that he only has one eye.
The eye injury occurred during an ill-fated trip to Italy

The eye injury occurred during an ill-fated trip to Italy

WARNING: spoilers below
That's what he looks like now.

HOUSE OF THE DEAD (1978)

This came to my attention when it appeared on my Letterboxd feed via our old friend DaMU.
His review was lukewarm, but I couldn't deny the poster's siren call so here we are.

So this is an anthology directed by one Sharron Miller, who seems to have worked mostly in TV and it definitely shows here. The horror is decidedly PG, and some of the segments are more Twilight Zone than horror. There are moments that are supposed to be suspenseful that are undermined by a score that sounds like incidental music from Barnaby Jones or something.

Our wraparound involves a guy who can't find his hotel after a secret tryst with his mistress.
He finds himself in a funeral parlor full of 5 coffins, and the proprietor proceeds to tell him the story of the corpses in 4 of them. If you can't tell who the 5th coffin is for, you've never seen an anthology in your life.

So we get a grouchy schoolteacher who's pursued by some violent trick-or-treaters.
A creepy guy who installs a camera in his living room so as to film himself murdering the dates he brings home.
Two master detectives trying to one-up each other.
And a final segment that was so dull that I had to look up what it even was, despite having watched it mere hours ago.

So yeah. Noteworthy for having been directed by a woman, and mildly entertaining for those of us who are already inclined towards low-stakes 70s TV scares. (raises hand) But only a mild recommendation to the rest of you. (on Tubi)

Victim of The Night

This is a movie I now watch every October and I think it wouldn't feel complete if I didn't see it this year. So I did. An odd choice to watch right after Lemora finished but I was ultimately rewarded because it is just such a fun film.

I'm sure everyone's seen this but if you haven't this is a horror movie about a group of college kids who go off for a weekend at a cousin's Cabin In The Woods and are surprised to find themselves behaving strangely and then suddenly being pursued by a Zombie Redneck Torture Family. Which is a "totally different species" than zombies. "It's like the difference between an elephant and an elephant seal."
There's a lot I'm not going to say just in case someone hasn't seen it.
But this is a fun, fun movie. I mean, "Tequila is my ladayyy!"

Somehow, despite having seen it 11 times now, I missed out on the fact that it was the Chem department that ****ed it up this time too!

Victim of The Night
If I can make a contribution:

That is all.
This is an excellent contribution.
I love this so much. Apparently that guy was a lot of fun.

It's actually one of my favorites, largely because of great scenes like this one: