23rd MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

I just read my review of Lilya and my reaction was 180 from Christina F.
Lilya 4-Ever...I was really impressed with the first hour when we see Lilya in the slums of Russia, I kept thinking I was watching a documentary and Lilya and her young friend Volodya were real people....and that's powerful film making! I felt like I was transported to those run-down flats and I was watching real life unfold. It wasn't pretty, but it seemed very real.

I went to jr high, I never knew or even heard of any 14 year old kids who did 'H' at that age.
Call it a hunch, but I suspect you might have hung out with a different sort of crowd than Christiane did.

I could believe a young girl could use 'H' if we had seen her motivation in the opening act. I mean have you done 'H'? Why? or why not? I went to jr high, I never knew or even heard of any 14 year old kids who did 'H' at that age.
While I haven't heard of any issues with heroin in particular, plenty of high school kids here get hooked on oxy. It's not the same drug, but they become addicts nonetheless and end up at the same methadone clinics. The couple of people I know who had opioid addictions didn't have any real reason to start using, they were just bored and it was available. Sometimes that's all it takes.

Also, it's not like it was a direct leap for Christiane to go from being an innocent kid to shooting up heroin. She started with pills.

In the thread about the recent riots, you talked about how people are responsible for their own actions and should be held accountable for those actions. You thought it was deserving when a protester stood in the street blocking traffic and then was hit by a car. You said it was the protesters fault as he was being stupid and illegally blocking traffic and causing problems for the driver. So then what's the difference between feeling sympathy for a drug addict who is doing something stupid & illegal and causing problems for society...and scorning a protester who blocks traffic?
They are not even comparable, addiction is a disease that takes over your life.

Well, it's comparable in the sense that in the majority of cases the people in question take the drugs themselves and they weren't addicts when they did it the first time.

Well, it's comparable in the sense that in the majority of cases the people in question take the drugs themselves and they weren't addicts when they did it the first time.
Sure but you usually don't think you are going to become addicted and people get addicted to legal but harmful things such as prescription medication, alcohol, gambling, etc. These are often gateways to other addictions plus what happened in the person's life.

While I haven't heard of any issues with heroin in particular, plenty of high school kids here get hooked on oxy. It's not the same drug, but they become addicts nonetheless and end up at the same methadone clinics. The couple of people I know who had opioid addictions didn't have any real reason to start using, they were just bored and it was available. Sometimes that's all it takes.
Oxy, I've not heard of it, would that be called 'O' as in the big O I just found calling heroin 'H' funny. You speak German right? Did they call it 'H' or heroin in the movie? Or is it just in the sub titles?

Call it a hunch, but I suspect you might have hung out with a different sort of crowd than Christiane did.
Did you hang out with the sort of crowd Christiane did?

What pahak said...A heroin addict isn't addicted until they decide to break the law and do something stupid. Cricket I think the reason you have great sympathy for addicts and non at all for protesters as we learned in that riot thread is...one of those actions you disdain, the other you understand (you did say your wife's job is working with addicts)...So I'm guessing you've learned to see addicts as humans, but view protest rioters as something less than human.

Sure but you usually don't think you are going to become addicted and people get addicted to legal but harmful things such as prescription medication, alcohol, gambling, etc. These are often gateways to other addictions plus what happened in the person's life.

Oxy, I've not heard of it, would that be called 'O' as in the big O I just found calling heroin 'H' funny. You speak German right? Did they call it 'H' or heroin in the movie? Or is it just in the sub titles?
Pretty much everyone I know calls heroin "H".

What pahak said...A heroin addict isn't addicted until they decide to break the law and do something stupid. Cricket I think the reason you have great sympathy for addicts and non at all for protesters as we learned in that riot thread is...one of those actions you disdain, the other you understand (you did say your wife's job is working with addicts)...So I'm guessing you've learned to see addicts as humans, but view protest rioters as something less than human.
Addicts are victims. The rioters are just scumbags.

Did you hang out with the sort of crowd Christiane did?
I hung out with various social rejects. Some of them were drug users, though I don’t know if they used heroin specifically (cocaine and ecstasy seemed to be more popular). I didn’t go to parties or be in situations where drug use was happening (aside from marijuana, and that typically was only when I’d see my friend’s band play at the community center). But I was definitely aware of drug use happening with classmates.

A heroin addict isn't addicted until they decide to break the law and do something stupid.
And it’s totally unheard of for teenagers to break the law and do something stupid...

Oxy, I've not heard of it, would that be called 'O' as in the big O
For some reason, this reminded me of a book called Story of O. I don't recall it being about drug addiction, though

I don't see the majority of addicts as victims. Some, for sure, but not most and definitely not all. It's the same kind of bs as defending one's actions by saying "I get violent/reckless/etc. when drunk" - well, you were sober when you started drinking so it's still your fault.

You could just as well call the rioters as victims of brainwashing.

I hung out with various social rejects. Some of them were drug users, though I don’t know if they used heroin specifically (cocaine and ecstasy seemed to be more popular). I didn’t go to parties or be in situations where drug use was happening (aside from marijuana, and that typically was only when I’d see my friend’s band play at the community center). But I was definitely aware of drug use happening with classmates...
Thanks for explaining.

I don't see the majority of addicts as victims. Some, for sure, but not most and definitely not all. It's the same kind of bs as defending one's actions by saying "I get violent/reckless/etc. when drunk" - well, you were sober when you started drinking so it's still your fault.

You could just as well call the rioters as victims of brainwashing.
Comparing addicts to rioters is absurd. Addicts need help.

Pretty much everyone I know calls heroin "H".

I can respect your right to have your own opinion...I don't share it...but that's OK as we all get to be who we are.

*I hope I didn't derail the thread with my question, anyway I'm off for the day. Hope to watch another nom tonight

Comparing addicts to rioters is absurd. Addicts need help.
You’re right it is absurd -

One is someone who chose a path that would make them feel better in the moment even if it would drag them and their friends down in the long run.

The other is someone fighting for legitimate social justice, sometimes in aggressive means, but also for a clear and cut out purpose... to change things for the better.

That said, I sympathize with everyone, drug Addicts and protestors alike.

I agree.

I sympathized with a necrophile once because he said his marriage was completely dead.

You’re right it is absurd -

One is someone who chose a path that would make them feel better in the moment even if it would drag them and their friends down in the long run.

The other is someone fighting for legitimate social justice, sometimes in aggressive means, but also for a clear and cut out purpose... to change things for the better.

Well, the first and last sentences are correct.

I'd really appreciate if people would stop the discussion of rioting. It is not relevant to the film Christiane F. and has no place in this thread. If you want to discuss the ethics of rioting, do that privately or in an appropriate thread.