Hurricane Gustav

Tools    

Who watches the Watchbear?
Howdy everyone! Not that I was terribly active before, but my return to college put even more of a damper on that than usual. And now, putting a damper on my return to college is Gustav. If any of you other MoFos are in New Orleans like myself or the surrounding area, I wish you all the best of luck - my school is closing down until the 4th, assuming the storm has passed by then, and for the time being they're sticking everyone without another evacuation plan in place on a bus heading for Jackson State University. Can't say I'm looking forward to any of this... I've only had two days of class, dangit!

Oh, and I know Gustav's technically still a tropical storm, but you know... once those things hit the Gulf of Mexico =/ doesn't bode so well!

Good luck Grizzly.... Jackson State used to have an awesome marching band...

As for Gustav, I keep thinking I've been here and done this... one time too many already...

Anyone have any floaties....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Keeping a close watch on this thing, I am in Pensacola which is about 150 miles from New Orleans, as a crow flys. If the storm comes your way you guys can come stay here, if it comes my way make room for 8 people, 2 dogs, and a kitten or 4.

Found this neat map when I was looking up hurricane info. Click on the days at the bottom to see the forcasts.

We're keeping a close eye too... I've already sent all my animals north and a few things I'd hate to have to replace 'cause I probably won't have time to do any of that later on...

This waiting and not knowing for sure where it is going to go sucks...

After 33 years on the Texas Gulf Coast, I've learned that the best way to survive a hurricane is to listen real close to the TV weathermen and the first time someone says the storm is predicted to make landfall at a Certain City, put all your family and pets in the family car and drive straight to that Certain City. I guarantee it ALWAYS will be the safest place in five states on the whole Gulf Coast while the storm beats hell out of some other place 200 miles away.

If you really want to learn how to deal with hurricanes, forget the National Weather Service and the local police and city and county officials. Get to know a mid-level executive at a nearby refinery, and the next time a tropical storm heads toward the gulf, ask him what's going on at work. Refineries are multimillion dollar facilities that are not going to be shut down unless it is absolutely necessary. Also, they have to be shutdown in an exact sequence of steps over a period of days to prevent an explosion at some point or having sludge solidify like cement within a pipeline or other equipment. Gulf Coast refiners have lived with hurricanes their whole careers and they know what and what not to do and the exact moment to start doing it. Believe me, there has never been a US refinery that has been caught still in the process of shutting down when a hurricane comes ashore in its vicinity. They have their own forecasters watching the storm and they know to the moment how much time it takes to deactivate a plant and minimize storm damage.

Of course, you can't always plan for everything. Louisiana and Texas refineries weren't knocked out by storm damage to their facilities when Katrina and Rita hit in 2005, but they were shut down by flooding and loss of electrical power from local utilities. The funny thing is that the old ARCO refinery over near New Orleans had experienced some flooding from another big storm a year or so before, so the owners invested some millions of dollars to build even bigger flood gates that could be activated in case of high water. As I remember it, the flood gates originally were just above what was thought to be the highest possible level in a 100-year storm. So this time, the company built them a few feet higher, certainly higher than any of the safety dikes around the City of New Orleans. Unfortunately, the new floodgates proved to be 6-12 inches lower than the level of water piled up by Katrina!

Be safe, Grizzly. And you too, Cait. I'll be hoping and praying it changes course.
I understand and applaud your sentiment about praying the storm will change course and spare folks you know. But that reminds me of a passage in a novel I read many years ago about a young rabbi serving as a chaplin in the US Air Force who one day witnesses a horrifc crash of a large aircraft carrying several crewmen. The downed plane is from his base and as he hurries to the scene with other would rescuers, he's praying, "Please, God, let it not be anyone I know." But then he realizes that the other side of that prayer is, "Please let it be someone I don't know." The crash was so bad that it was evident there would be casualties, likely fatalities. Even if members of the crew survived, some would suffer terrible burns and months maybe years of painful recovery. So the rabbi questions, "Is it right that I pray that the people I know should be spared, which means the victims will all be people not known to me but known to and loved by others?"

I'm not a religious person myself, but that delimma struck a chord with me and I've remembered it for more than 30 years, although I couldn't even tell you the title of the book. It always reminds me to be careful what you wish or pray for, because your prayers can take surprising directions if answered. It doesn't even work to pray the storm goes out to sea rather than make land, because it could still run across an inoperable boat, an unwary sailor, someone off course in an airplane, who knows what? Interesting point, don't ya think?

I would not wish a hurricane on anyone, but I certainly would not wish it on myself or my family, a better wish would be for it to fizzle out.

On another note- I actually hear buzz in lines at grocery stores or other places strangers gossip, and some are actually wanting for a big storm to come through so they can get money from FEMA "like we did last time." Times are bad if thats how you want a handout to come.

I've got my 'marching orders'.... so... time to go to work... I'll see you guys before too long... stay safe everyone... especially all my southern friends...

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Good luck to everyone and hope this is'nt going to be as bad as "Hurricane Katrina" Hope all will be safe and well through this bad time.

I've got my 'marching orders'.... so... time to go to work... I'll see you guys before too long... stay safe everyone... especially all my southern friends...

No hurricane party this time around..

Seriously though, best of luck to you and Griz and everyone else in the path.

I'm going to be in the middle of this thing again...just like katrina ...

to everyone in the south: STAY SAFE

We just had a tiny little earthquake, and some fires in southern California a few weeks ago, but I don't think we have ever had a hurricane or a big tornado.
What's coming towards New Orleans sounds worse.
Good luck down there in the South.

So who of us on MOFO stay in the path area of this thing? I see EQ, Cait, and Griz do. Just curious, they propbably all have left now hopefully. I know there is not much I can do, but if any of you guys need anything and I can help I am not far away. Keep yourselves and your families safe.

So who of us on MOFO stay in the path area of this thing? I see EQ, Cait, and Griz do. Just curious, they propbably all have left now hopefully. I know there is not much I can do, but if any of you guys need anything and I can help I am not far away. Keep yourselves and your families safe.

Appreciate it that. I can't leave because of many factors. I am going to ride this one out.

A system of cells interlinked
Getting scary. My thoughts go out to those of you in the storm's path.

Hope everybody's okay. I am praying for those who are in New Orleans or the surrounding area. News broadcasts claim that the storm is going to hit more than New Orleans, and when this happens, the hurricane is going to be even worse. Hope this goes okay.