14th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Night On Earth (1991)

I admit it...I like Winona Ryder I've liked her in most of her movies..And I like Jim Jarmusch as a director too. He's one of the current directors who's work I want to explore more.

I've only seen three of his films, Night On Earth (twice now), DeadMan (also twice) and one other film which I keep thinking I'll nominate in an Hof one day.

Jim Jarmusch is the master of urban art house cinematography. There's a special-ness to the way he effortlessly films the urban-scape without getting all fancy with his shots. Night On Earth shows us very real aspects of the five cities that we view as voyeurs.

And the music score is out right brilliant. I loved that song by Tom Waits at the opening credits...btw the opening credits deserve some praise to, very cool. Through out the movie we hear the simplified melody from the opening song. Geez that music made me smile! More than that it told part of the story. In a Jarmusch film the score and cityscapes are integral part. That's art!

I enjoyed all five of the vignettes. With the L.A. Winona Ryder one and the Paris story being my two favorites. I thought Winona made a riotously funny grease monkey who despite her limited knowledge outside of car engines, was still quite genuine and self aware. The entire scene made me smile. From the grease on her face, to that crazy key chain hanging from her waist, complete with a flash light...to the chain smoking...all of that was a great characterization.

The Paris story with the Ivory Coast immigrant who's first belittled by the two ambassador's men, even though he's one tough looking dude was funny. Then when the blind girl gets into the car and she's belittled by the driver in the same, 'I don't understand you, so I'll say some silly generalizations to you' way, was even funnier turn about. Very cleverly written too. Especially as the driver thinks the blind girl can't safely walk by the river, which she does, while he with his sight crashes his car!

I liked the Helsinki, Rome stories too. The New York would have been my favorite except Rosa Perez who sucked the life out of the scene with her one joke gag...obnoxiousness. But she didn't ruin the entire scene for me...Still the dynamic between the German immigrant and the native New Yorker was truthfully funny, as both men, from different worlds had a lot in common, including silly names and silly hats!

Good movie!

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I picked up Mommy again. So I will definitely watch that either tonight or tomorrow night. Some of the reviews have me curious with this one now. Yeah, I know I shouldn't have read them without seeing the film first, but I did, anyway.

I also went ahead and requested Barton Fink, Night on Earth, Black Snake Moan and M. I think those were the only ones that I could get. I'll give in and give Passengers a try, too. It will be tough sitting through a movie with those two, but I will try.

I picked up Mommy again. So I will definitely watch that either tonight or tomorrow night. Some of the reviews have me curious with this one now...
I think the emotional reaction to the kid in Mommy depends on if you watch on a big screen or a small screen or on a phone. On the big screen, with the lights turned down low, it's much more in your face, than on a smaller screen. Probably true for all movies, but more so for Mommy.

Let the night air cool you off
M

What am I supposed to add to this classic film that has been beloved for close to 90 years? There is nothing new for me to say. I love almost everything about this film. It's tremendously acted, tremendously written, and tremendously directed. In a time where everything you did with sound was a new thing, to use whistling as a recurring element was a wonderful idea. It stands out now, so I can only imagine the impact it might have had on a viewer back then. Peter Lorre was incredible, every second he was on screen was brilliant. I don't know what else to say, but this movie should probably be in the hall of fame. It'll be very difficult for any other movie to nab my top vote.

[center]

[left]Night On Earth (1991)

I admit it...I like Winona Ryder[font=Comic Sans MS] [font=Arial]I've liked her in most of her movies..
Same, I also like Winona but in this I thought she wasn't the right choice to play the tomboyish LA cabbie

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Same, I also like Winona but in this I thought she wasn't the right choice to play the tomboyish LA cabbie
It's weird that everyone says this. I think she was very good at the role!

We are now at 80/144!!!!!

And M has been reviewed by all members, with 3 other films at 8/12!!!

Great job guys and gals!
It would be 81/144 if I wasn't too lazy

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Empire of Passion SPOILERS

Felt like this was a film that had a lot of potential but ultimately failed for me. But the atmosphere is rather dark and creepy, and the cinematography is very very good. I didn't think the love affair was all that believable. Toyoji felt like a sleezeball. I wouldn't think Seki could have been persuaded by a guy like him. I think the well should have been more a focal point in the film, in that there should have been more scenes around it. I just felt like nothing happened after the murder. The ghost scenes were rather good, but aside from that, story wise, there was very little to offer. I also thought it was stupid both characters tried to pin the blame on themselves after awhile. He seemed like a guy that was just in it for the passion and wouldn't dare take the blame and it seemed like she should have wanted to throw him under the bus any potential way that she could I had certainly hoped for more.

Legend in my own mind

Lone Star 1996

Knew nothing about this before I watched it. Overall I think it was half way to being an excellent film. I really like story of the body that was found and the pursuit of truth through the legend that had covered it. That main story which was a thread throughout was really good. The thing that I struggled with is the rest of it. The sub plots and other stories woven throughout simply irritated me as I wanted to get back to the main story.
I cared about Wade and Buddy and what actually happened. I didn't care about Payne and his issues with his father or even Sam and his forbidden love, although that was kind of a big deal by the end.
It was a bit like eating crab. The bits I really want are covered in bit's I don't want and even though they are part of it, they are no use to me and more of a hinderance than anything.
The acting was decent as was the cinematography without being anything special.

The Grand Illusion (1937)

That photo is from my favorite scene, and there's a lot of great scenes. I enjoyed this...I like war film, I don't like war, but I do like war films, or in this case prisoner of war films, because it fills that need to know. I like to know things, and even though this is a drama, it is a window back to 1937, a time right before WWII. I was very intrigued how this French film, showed the German officer as chivalrous. I liked those scenes too. It's almost like the director and script writer deeply regretted past hostiles with Germany and sought to make a film that showed that men on both sides of the conflict were indeed brothers under their different uniforms.

I was equally impressed with the breathtaking on location cinematography. Which is so much more inspiring, than cheap studio sets. Loved the Bavarian farm house that the widow lived in. What a view she had of the sweeping country side.

The actors too were effective at making distinct personalities, which made their characters memorable. I can see why this is a classic.

Good nom, Ed.

I'm done and just sent in my list....Thanks to everyone, Hof members are the best! And these Hofs are the main reason I'm here at MoFo. It's so cool we can all work together as a group like this

Thanks to Cricket for helping out with links, you're a good guy

And a big thank you to Camo, who spent a lot of his time and effort trying to help me get subtitles for The Grand Illusion, really appreciate the help.

And of course Raul! thanks for hosting. I'm looking forward to the 15th and I hope a certain somebody does host it

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
thank you, CR! I was very happy to find that film and even more so to share it. Though still feel very crappy that is one that is very hard to find -- I am so very sorry for that.

And I THINK that may make you first to the finish line for seeing everything. I have 3 movies left myself which is a HUGE turn around from the past several HoFs. lol
Having them spaced a bit definitely does help for me.

thank you, CR! I was very happy to find that film and even more so to share it. Though still feel very crappy that is one that is very hard to find -- I am so very sorry for that.
No worries, every Hof has at least one film that's hard for someone to find. Thanks to your nom, I learned how to add subtitles to a movie that didn't have them. I'm pretty excited about that.

Night On Earth (Jim Jarmusch, 1991)
Imdb

Date Watched: 9/18/17-9/21/17
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 14th Hall of Fame, Nestorio Miklos's nomination
Rewatch: No

I'm just going to come right out and say it: I did not like this movie. If it hadn't been for the fact that I was watching it for a Hall of Fame, I'd have shut it off before the first segment was over. It took me three tries to get through it. I found many of the characters irritating and hard to believe. Winona Ryder was exceptionally awful in the L.A. segment, Roberto Benigni's ridiculous "confession" in the Rome segment was just grating and so was the blind woman in the Paris segment. I might have found some connection with the cabbie's story in the Helsinki segment, but by then I had pretty much mentally checked out of the film and was just counting down the remaining runtime.

That said, I didn't completely hate everything about it. I liked the look and the atmosphere of the film and, although I'm not generally a fan of Tom Waits, I thought his music fit the movie's tone rather well. I must also admit that I did actually enjoy the New York segment and really liked the interactions between Helmut and YoYo. But those few positives just weren't enough for me.

+

One thing for consideration, all of the Gypsies (Romani people) are shown to be ignorant,superstitious, vindictive, thieves who squabble and fight with each other, that would seem to be a negative stereo type and one that has been said for ever about Gypsies. I don't believe this is who these people are and the film seems to ridicule them.

This is very thin and simplified extract from a paper that was presented during the sociology classes and of course it doesn’t apply to all the Gypsies.

Unfortunately, this is how they are considered throughout the EU nowadays. Before WW II, yes, Gypsies were nomads, traveling free across the EU. They were selling stuff, repairing, fixing, or acting, running carnivals and such. They didn’t socialize much with whites and whites didn’t socialize with Gypsies. Except some petty thieves, there was not much of troubles. After WW II nomads were prohibited in most of the EU countries and assimilation and socialization of Gypsies had been launched in most of the government programs. Gypsies had been forced to settle in cities and had been given buildings to inhabited. What kind of buildings? The worst. Who lived in those neighborhoods together with Gypsies? White people from the lowest class [thieves, frauds, bums, drunks and such]. In order to assimilate what Gypsies did? They imitated the behavior of people who were in their surroundings[thieves, frauds, bums, drunks and such]. Then slowly they were abandoning their craft, their lifestyle and started to break the law, mostly stealing, leeching welfare off the government, organizing beggars, involving in organized crime etc. After years passed, this is a general opinion about Gypsies unfortunately. Except some great Gypsy musician families, or good working gypsy families, they are all considered very negatively.