recommend/do not recommend

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by adidasss
i thought i would put this forum to use, i want you to recommend some movies you think i should watch and some i should stay clear of
mine would be: spartan - recommend
the bourne supremacy - do not recommend
two movies of similar style but very different viewing experiences, one gets boring pretty fast, the other keeps you on your toes till the end
If you liked Spartan, try some other Mamet films:

House Of Games (1987)
The Winslow Boy (1999)
Heist (2001)
And the Mamet-scripted Glengarry Glen Ross (1992, James Foley)

If you didn't care for The Bourne Supremacy then I'd avoid The Bourne Identity, even though I think it's a far better film.

oh i saw identity...liked it..twas fun...but supremacy was just stupid....
i would recommend musa-warrior...korean...very good....( historic )
"In 1375 China, the new Ming dynasty is still troubled by the previous Mongol Yuan dynasty. Meanwhile, Ancient Korea sends a group of soldiers and delegates to make peace with the new empire and they are labeled spies and sent into exile in the desert. While marching, Yuan soldiers kill the Ming but spare the Koreans leaving them free but stuck in the desert. After discovering the Yuan are holding a Ming princess captive, and with little choice for getting home, the Koreans must save the princess in an effort to return her so they can go home safely. "

io non ho paura ( i'm not scared )...very good movie, i'm a horrible reviewer so i coudn't do a proper review but you should definetly see this one if you haven't already....

So Money and I Don't Even Know It!
Recommend
City of God
Batman Begins
Trainspotting

Do Not Recommend
28 Days Later-For some reason everyone liked this movie, but I hated it...Go Dawn of the Dead....Old version

Do you know my poetry?
Recommend:
Naked (Mike Leigh - 1993)
Le Jour se lève (Marcel Carné - 1939)
Schizopolis (Steven Soderbergh - 1996)
Salvatore Giuliano (Francesco Rosi - 1962)
Open City (Roberto Rossellini - 1945)
Secrets & Lies (Mike Leigh - 1996)
Bande à part (Jean-Luc Godard - 1964)
Amarcord (Federico Fellini - 1973)
Nashville (Robert Altman - 1975)
Manhattan (Woody Allen - 1979)

Do Not Recommend:
Born on the Fourth of July (Oliver Stone - 1989)
I Shot Andy Warhol (Mary Harron - 1996)
Europa '51 (Roberto Rossellini - 1952)
Tokyo Drifter (Seijun Suzuki - 1966)
Everyone Says I Love You (Woody Allen - 1996)
Natural Born Killers (Oliver Stone - 1994)
The Devil's Advocate (Taylor Hackford - 1997)
Dracula (Francis Ford Coppola - 1992)
Y tu mamá también (Alfonso Cuarón - 2001)
The Color Purple (Steven Spielberg - 1985)

Originally Posted by Ezikiel
Recommend:
Nashville (Robert Altman - 1975)
I love Altman, and Nashville was very well made…but the music. Yech. Even though it parodied country music and most of the performances were terrible on purpose, I still cringed throughout the entire film.

Originally Posted by Ezikiel
Do Not Recommend:
The Color Purple (Steven Spielberg - 1985)
I disagree with a few on your do not list, but none as much as this one. I know it’s not a perfect film, but I think it gets a bad rap sometimes. It’s full of marvelous performances and is a lovely tale.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Do you know my poetry?
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I disagree with a few on your do not list, but none as much as this one. I know it’s not a perfect film, but I think it gets a bad rap sometimes. It’s full of marvelous performances and is a lovely tale.
I think my expectations were way too high for this film, and when I did finally see, I thought it was a complete bore with characters that weren't very well played. Although, I do think Danny Glover was quite good here, but I was still terribly dissapointed, Spielberg could've done so much more with this material. I didn't hate it, the film had some fine moments, but overall it just wasn't very good.

Here's Johnny!
28 days later was a sweet movie, i loved it

a phone call missed - screwed up japanese horror movie, very similar to ringu ( the ring ), quite scary, i recommend watching it alone with the lights out....
a very long engagement - french movie, similar to amelie ( audrie tatoe(sp?)), a love story set amidst the 1st world war with criminalistic elements, beautiful cinematography and scenery of france, a very good movie....

i dont recomend avp. i do recomend ray

I've recently discovered a new movie - White Noise with Michael Keating that deals with EVP EVP or Electronic Voice Phenomena is the term traditionally used to describe unexpected sounds or voices sometimes found on recording media.

Have a look at this clip I just found from the upcoming movie White Noise and find out more
http://www.waytoblue.com/media/video...de_au_100k.asx

and

http://www.waytoblue.com/media/video...er_au_100k.asx

I've seen it. Its not very good.

Originally Posted by Son Of A Preacher Man
Do Not Recommend
28 Days Later-For some reason everyone liked this movie, but I hated it...Go Dawn of the Dead....Old version
Yeah I didn't like 28 Days Later. Dawn of the dead did a better job with the zombies.
I recommend Battle Royal...Japanese movie.

blue car - a very good "small" movie that holds much more emotional content ( well for me anyway ) then the much celebrated million dollar baby yet noone's heard of it, it kept me on edge throughout the movie ( it's a story about a youg girl with a bad life , trying to get through it she searches for support from her english teacher....very akward relationship )
it would be really sweet if i got some feedback on the movies i recommend so we can maybe discuss them a bit.....

Originally Posted by adidasss
blue car - a very good "small" movie that holds much more emotional content ( well for me anyway ) then the much celebrated million dollar baby yet noone's heard of it, it kept me on edge throughout the movie ( it's a story about a youg girl with a bad life , trying to get through it she searches for support from her english teacher....very akward relationship )

Despite another really fine performance by David Strathairn and a good central performance by Agnes Bruckner, Blue Car was a bit too cliche and obvious for my taste. It's not a bad little movie, but I certainly wasn't blown away by it, and while I would mildly recommend it I definitely don't see it as any unfairly buried masterpiece or anything of that sort. It's worth watching if you come across it on cable TV and anybody else who is a big Strathairn fan will find it worthwhile as he gets to play somebody with darker edges than he usually is asked, but I can easily think of dozens of much better movies than this one from the past few years.

I'd grade it a B-.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike

Despite another really fine performance by David Strathairn and a good central performance by Agnes Bruckner, Blue Car was a bit too cliche and obvious for my taste. It's not a bad little movie, but I certainly wasn't blown away by it, and while I would mildly recommend it I definitely don't see it as any unfairly buried masterpiece or anything of that sort. It's worth watching if you come across it on cable TV and anybody else who is a big Strathairn fan will find it worthwhile as he gets to play somebody with darker edges than he usually is asked, but I can easily think of dozens of much better movies than this one from the past few years.

I'd grade it a B-.
cliche? i haven't said it's a masterpiece, i just thought it was a really good movie, if nothing else, for keeping me on the edge as far as their relationship goes.....it was very akward to watch it develope.....and hats off for displaying the very difficult situation when you leave home and you have no means to support yourself, usually they just portray kids leaving and getting by...which always troubled me because it's a very difficult situation.....try imagening it....

Can we try with real bullets now?
I decided to only Recommend/Not Recommend comic book movies!

Recommend
Sin City - 9/10
Batman Begins - 9/10
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm - 8/10
Spider-Man 2 - 7.5/10
X2: X-Men United - 7.5/10

Do Not Recommend
Spider-Man - 5.5/10
X-Men - 5/10
Batman and Robin - 3.5/10
Fantastic Four - 4/10
Hulk - 3/10