The Saddest Music In The World

Tools    

Saddest Music

Lets put a smile on that block
No i'd like to see it though. All i remember hearing about it was Rossellini and her beer filled legs. Very odd.

I've never even heard of it… but it sounds rather strange... glass legs filled with beer...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

A wonderfully bizarre bit of surreal satirical melodrama, directed by Winnepeg's own Guy Maddin. Try to imagine Franz Kafka meets Salvador Dali, directed by the bastard lovechild of David Lynch and Ida Lupino, with a script by Preston Sturges and Jim Jarmusch. If you can get your head around all that, you'll be part of the way to understanding The Saddest Music in the World. A heavily stylized parable about pain and regret...and it's a comedy! Sorta.

I loved it when I saw it in the theaters last year, I love it now that I own it on DVD. And it's probably the best introduction to the twisted mind of Maddin.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Arresting your development
After reading Holden's post, I'm sold! I'll have to go and check this out.
Legs with beer and a twisted mind behind it all. What more could you ask for?

The Adventure Starts Here!
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
And it's probably the best introduction to the twisted mind of Maddin.
Wow, who would have thought John Madden could come up with something this interesting? The mind reels (so to speak).

Originally Posted by Austruck
Wow, who would have thought John Madden could come up with something this interesting? The mind reels (so to speak).
Is this sarcasm? I hope.

Oakland Raiders coach and NFL commentator John Madden has nothing to do with Guy Maddin. But what a terrific joke! At least it might have been mildly funny if we were talking about Shakespeare in Love director John Madden. Mildly.

For anybody who sees Saddest Music and gets interested in Guy's stuff, check out Careful. Another good one of his, but the R1 SE from Kino also has the excellent hour-long documentary "Waiting for Twilight", an in-depth behind-the-scenes look at him making Twilight of the Ice Nymphs. Really lets the viewer take a look at his process and sensibility.

Good boy/terrible girl
Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
Later, we have the first ever sex scene featuring glass legs filled with beer. Interesting stuff.
Huh? Yeah, gotta check this out.

Does anyone have the soundtrack and know where I can find a copy? They have it at shopsonymusic.ca but they don't ship to the US.

I watched this again yesterday and I love it so much more. I highly recommend it.

Very interesting stuff, funny at times. Surprisingly, not at all sad, except perhaps at the end. Very Lynchian (an impression reinforced by the presence of Rossellini, maybe), and visually very old-fashioned, closer to The Cabinet of Dr Caligari than just about anything else. The beer legs were marvellous, as was the idea of an 'American Ambassador for Sadness'.

The movie was full of wondeful imagination, which more than made up for the perfunctory characters & plot.

I didn't know it was by the same guy who did Careful. I've been looking for that movie for years, ever since I first read the synopsis. It's just about impossible to find in the UK. I always suspected it'd be good, and after seeing The Saddest Music In The World, I know it will be. Guess I'm going to have to figure out how to make my DVD player all-region.