Losing Brain Cells watching ....

Tools    

There's treachery afoot!!!
Sin City, how can a comic be so great and then when it goes on film the actors are as loose as a two by four?!?!?

Originally Posted by Wonder Boy
Sin City, how can a comic be so great and then when it goes on film the actors are as loose as a two by four?!?!?
I was actually surprised - Sin City wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...but then again I didn't have very high standards...I say just stick to the comics...

On another note I just arrived in LA for the semester and I've heard some talk about a new movie that's about a webcam site but I can't seem to find anything online...has anyone else heard about this? - it sounded kind of interesting.

hello! Brand new to this forum!

I wanna mention that i saw Guy Richie's Revolver last week and by the end I'd started playing games on my mobile like other members of the audience, it was that or hurting myself to blur out the pain of this terirble movie.

Ok, so I just posted a reply and it doesn't seem to have worked. I('m kinda new to forums and think i still suck at it... however...

I said how I saw Revolver last week and it was TERRIBLE!! Pretentious and dullsville. I wanted to hurt myself.

"We all know it's the icing and not the cake that makes people want to eat the cake"
-Tracey Hayden 'One Child'

There's treachery afoot!!!
Your first post worked.

For God's sake don't watch "signs"
By the god's sake! Signs is dumber than every other movie ever made in the hystory of humanity! I believe even "American pie" can lose for signs in a most dumb contest. Look, I'll list the dumb things about signs:

-Aren't the aliens capable of making invisible UFO's? So how the hell they have no means to see if a planet contains a lethal substance to them?
-WATER!? How the hell can the aliens be so dumb? Most of Earth surface is watery, there's water in the food, there's water in the soil, There's water in the AIR! HOW COME THE DAMMED ALIENS DON'T looked at the planet before invading it!? Anadvice if you want to invade warth and want to know if there's a letal substance covering most of the planet. First: Look at earth. Second:Use your surprisingly advanced spaceship to study that blue thing you see. Third: After discovering you die with contact with it, GO AWAY! Choose another planet stoopid.
-Okay...did I say there's water in the air? How the aliens survive without protection?

I don't want to take your time by writing an extensive report about how "signs" sucks so...that's it. And while we at here...which is dumber? The germ dying aliens of "War of the Worlds" or the water dying ones of "Signs"?
My avatar is the evil doctor whom tried to test if his dumbness potion he put in the water had worked. So he created a movie to defy the inteligence of the most lesser minded human beings he decided to call this movie "signs".

losing cells watching mtv laguna beach and most other mtv programming....
any poorly directed wanna be gangbanger/rap movie too...

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Originally Posted by cutter
Other movies that made me lose brain cells include

Armageddon
Dante's Peak
The Day After Tomorrow

hmmm ... notice a theme here? disaster/soap operas????
I liked The Day After Tomorrw, but I'm with you on the other ones...

For God's sake don't watch "signs"
Originally Posted by shadymaggot
I liked The Day After Tomorrw...
Yeah. Best climate tragedy movie ever. The only thing that was a little dumb is:

WARNING: "The day after tomorrow" spoilers below
that when the guy finnaly finds his son the rescue team reach New York so...since he was going to be rescued anyway without his father's help...why his father had all the trouble to get to New York?

And Dante's Peak wasn't soo dumb. Why you think it is?

South Park The Movie

Hollywood Homicide

In the Beginning...
Because the comic was never meant (nor designed) to be live action. That's why.

A system of cells interlinked
I must ask, just exactly what does this statement mean. Loose as a two by four? Are two-by-fours (a piece of wood) inherently loose? A single block of wood can be neither loose, nor tight. You mean laying around on the ground loose? WTF!

To me, Sin City is THE best comic adaptation to ever grace the screen. If one doesn't like the source material, that's fine, but the film was adapted almost perfectly. The acting is great across the board, with Marv being one of the coolest tragic heroes to hit the screen. Ok, Ms. Murphy delivers her line a little TOO over the top, but that is the only acting flaw I have found with the film. Other than that, Sin City is the comic come to life on screen, one needs only compare to books to any screenshot to see how faithfully it was reproduced.

In the Beginning...
I think what he meant, as I've stated before, is that despite being incredibly faithful to the source material in regards to dialogue, panels, voice-over, character design, etc, the style of Sin City is so far removed from real life that its translation to live-action cinema ends up somewhat mismatched.

The dialogue remained intact, but it isn't realistic dialogue. Coming out of the mouth of a real person, it seems awkward. Same thing with character design and costume: the characters look fine as drawings, but because they were designed as stylized clothing for stylized characters, it becomes evident that the actors are just acting parts and wearing costumes rather than actually being the characters (with one or two exceptions).

I love Sin City to death, but the more I think about it, the more I feel like - although it was a fantastic translation - it probably wasn't the best comic to translate into live-action. It's just too stylized, and the film ends up feeling more or less like a fan film. It just couldn't have been made believable, and that's the pitfall.