Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Apparently Franco Nero was cast because he was in town for a film festival.*Ridiculous casting on paper, but he actually pulls off the role pretty well.*I assume most of the action scenes use doubles, but the movie does get good mileage out of his eyes for closeups.*
i don't remember seeing him in anything else. Looks like he was in his 40s at the time and he's famous for being in Westerns. Would that be like casting '60s-'70s era James Garner as the ninja?

Victim of The Night
I would encourage you to give it another shot.

While I felt that the BBC version got increasingly cutesy (I watched the second season and couldn't take any more), the CBS version gets deeper and more complex as it goes. Holmes and Watson have interesting backstories that overlap in neat ways (thematically, not literally). I can't attest to the final seasons (I think I'm halfway through season 4?), but I feel like the first 3 are pretty solid.
I don't mean to be a contrarian, but I really cannot tolerate network television.
When I imagine what tortures one would have to lay upon me to break me, I just imagine my captors leaving me a in a room with 24-hour content alternating between network television and Bro Country. I wouldn't last a day.

Victim of The Night
The Love Witch, 2016 (D)

A film about a witch, in what appears to be the 60s, using magic to seduce men.

There's traces of something like a Giallo in the movie's style, but it's very lazy. Either they realized how much effort it is to be on the entire movie they way Giallos used to be, or they just didn't get why any of it worked. The movie is shot mostly conventionally, with a few occasional stylised shots here and there. It's not cohesive or interesting, and it feels gimmicky.

I think they bet everything on the style, because there isn't much plot here to bolster the rest. The movie is pretty long at 2 hours, and involves a lot of conversations. It feels directionless. Either that or they really buried the point they were trying to make deep inside the film.

Lastly, and that might sound stupid, but here goes. The movie is about this really oversexed witch that wants to bone men to make them love her, but the two main witch ladies with speaking roles aren't really in in. There's 2 digits worth of extras showing full frontal, but the two leading witches won't even show nipples. And it's not like they don't get undressed. They do, but it's very perfunctory instead of commiting and going for the vibe. That took me out of it every time, and all I could think of is that they didn't find actors that would do everything they wanted.
Aw, bummer, I've only ever heard how good this movie is. Now you've given me doubt.
The run-time is the only reason I never watched it.

Victim of The Night
Enter the Ninja -

This is the first and my favorite of the three Golan-Globus ninja movies. This one's secret weapon - besides caltrops, of course - is its strong character development. I totally bought Cole and Frank's friendship and like how the wartime flashbacks enriched it. Also, your mileage may vary when it comes to sleaze - for me, the third movie has just enough while Revenge takes it too far - but this one is refreshingly free of it. Most importantly, though, the fight scenes are so much fun, and with the reliable "they can't take our land" story and character work, there is just enough of this icing on the cake. Sho Kosugi fans may be disappointed because he probably has the least screentime in this one, but he makes his time count; besides, he's why the opening credits are so awesome. These movies have no order anyway, but if you haven't seen any of them, I recommend saving this one for last. Oh, and if it's comic relief you want, you'll get it in my favorite character, the posh Mr. Parker.
This is an old favorite of mine I revisited not long ago.
Basically, I'm planning to watch all the old Sho Kosugi movies. I did Pray For Death and Ninja III: The Domination in recent months.

This is an old favorite of mine I revisited not long ago.
Basically, I'm planning to watch all the old Sho Kosugi movies. I did Pray For Death and Ninja III: The Domination in recent months.
I've only seen him in the Golan-Globus movies, so I'll definitely check out Pray for Death as well. I've also been meaning to see Rage for Honor. Ooh, I see he's in the Rutger Hauer movie Blind Fury. That's a good a reason as any to bump it up in my queue.

Apparently, he has a walk-on role in The Godfather Part II!? If any of you eagle-eyed viewers spot him, let us know what scene he's in!

Man of the World (1931) directed by Richard Wallace and starring Carole Lombard and William Powell. I like Lombard's performance, but I didn't really care for anyone else's. The story wasn't all that interesting. I did like the look of the film though. Worth watching once primarily for Lombard. My rating is a

i don't remember seeing him in anything else. Looks like he was in his 40s at the time and he's famous for being in Westerns. Would that be like casting '60s-'70s era James Garner as the ninja?
Aw man, you haven't seen Django? Will also highly recommend the psychological horror film A Quiet Place in the Country.

It's not quite as extreme as casting Garner, as Nero at least comes off as a bit worldly. You can believe he would have picked up martial arts at some point.

Aw man, you haven't seen Django? Will also highly recommend the psychological horror film A Quiet Place in the Country.
The Letterboxd shows him in a black cowboy outfit and wielding a chain gun. Sold!
If he had the same mustache that he had in Enter the Ninja, just looking at the picture would make your chest hair grow.

Thunder on the Hill (1951), directed by Douglas Sirk, starring Claudette Colbert and Ann Blyth. I enjoyed this film. Claudette Colbert did a good job as the nun trying to save a convicted murderer (Ann Blyth) from being executed. The story is interesting and there is a good mystery to it. Recommended to anyone who appreciates a quality film noir/mystery. My rating is

Yeah, my remark wasn’t meant as a slight towards you so much as the comparison, but I do see the confusion. I do apologize for that. *
His inclusion in Taxi Driver being what lead to his casting doesn’t support your insistence on Maniac being like Taxi Driver, not in the least.
But as for your response, I do thank you for your exemplary example as well. Especially since I’ve seen more then a fair share of condescension from you on several occasions.
When was the last time you saw Maniac? Both are designed to place you in the subjective perspective of a disturbed, violent man that delves into the underbelly of New York. Both films explore their attempt and failure at creating a “normal” relationship that precipitates their downward spiral. There are even lines of dialogue lifted from Taxi Driver.

This is in stark contrast to classic slashers, which frame their narratives around the victims and operate akin to a “Three Little Indians” structure of being picked off one by one.

It’s clear that Lustig was trying to blend the two formulas and was trying to evoke Scorsese’s film as his primary influence. He’s not a filmmaker on the level of Scorsese but he is among the best low-budget directors to never break out and he still directs with a deft hand that captures the grime and scuzziness of the city and subject.

Still laughing?

‘Something’ for sure can, but I didn’t feel that was the case here, is all.
How is this film against the concept of feminism?

The Letterboxd shows him in a black cowboy outfit and wielding a chain gun. Sold!
If he had the same mustache that he had in Enter the Ninja, just looking at the picture would make your chest hair grow.
Franco Nero is one of the great Italian actors of that era and the spaghetti western and poliziotteschi genres. He is one of the few that rivals the imported actors with gravitas in the genre films.

His works with Corbucci and Castellari are all worth seeing. Django, Keoma and Street Law especially.

How is this film against the concept of feminism?
I felt that the very idea that Elaine is exclusively concerned with love (whatever that is) is playing into the most sexist of stereotypes, i.e. that women only care about romantic relationships. No matter how you spin it, even if, as Takoma says, for Elaine, love is about controlling men, the very idea that a woman’s life goal is to find love appears obviously antifeminist. To me, that is. It reminds me of 12-year-old schoolgirls in a dining hall whispering to each other, ‘But do you FANCY him? Well, do you fancy him then?’ Like it’s a must that someone should fancy someone.

I really wasn’t looking for a debate there. Then again, not sure what you mean by ‘against the concept of feminism’.

I’d be the first one to admit I don’t get films centring around ‘love’ in this all-encompassing way - hence the series You left a bizarre impression. I can never quite believe the MacGuffin is love.

I felt that the very idea that Elaine is exclusively concerned with love (whatever that is) is playing into the most sexist of stereotypes, i.e. that women only care about romantic relationships. No matter how you spin it, even if, as Takoma says, for Elaine, love is about controlling men, the very idea that a woman’s life goal is to find love appears obviously antifeminist. To me, that is. It reminds me of 12-year-old schoolgirls in a dining hall whispering to each other, ‘But do you FANCY him? Well, do you fancy him then?’ Like it’s a must that someone should fancy someone.

I really wasn’t looking for a debate there. Then again, not sure what you mean by ‘against the concept of feminism’.
I just find it curious that someone would call this film antifeminist.

I agree that Elaine being exclusively concerned with finding love isn’t feminist at all. But I think the film doesn’t align or agree with Elaine on virtually any of her choices or ideology. I could see calling Elaine anti feminist but the film is pretty anti Elaine.

I just find it curious that someone would call this film antifeminist.

I agree that Elaine being exclusively concerned with finding love isn’t feminist at all. But I think the film doesn’t align or agree with Elaine on virtually any of her choices or ideology. I could see calling Elaine anti feminist but the film is pretty anti Elaine.
That actually makes a lot of sense. I don’t know, is it anti-Elaine? The fact that she doesn’t succeed (does she?) doesn’t necessarily make it anti-Elaine. I think it’s useful to ask ourselves why Trish is presented as such as sad mess in contrast to Elaine’s knockout. There’s a bit of a sense that Trish is meant to be a little pathetic compared to Elaine, and Trish is the one with obvious feminist values. I feel like if the intention was for Trish to be the ‘authorial voice of reason’, she’d be a bit more credible/have more agency against Elaine.

Also, having unfortunately debated the topic a lot in recent years, I think ‘anti-feminist’ I refers to more than ‘against feminism’. It is an ideology in itself, a patriarchal/traditionalist/small-c ‘conservative’ look at relationships. It’s not necessarily so much about tearing down feminism.