The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Look at the numbers. At this point for a film to make the cut it can't be on just four or five lists but on nine or ten or fifteen. That five members on this site may really like say The Master, that is not going to be enough. It's going to take them plus six or eight other MoFos. If twelve people had The Master on their ballots I will be very, very surprised.

But we shall see.
I probably think along the logic of: 3 have them in their top 5 (just an example) so that's 60 points there. Surely there must be the minimum 8 points somewhere else.

Which is why I'm wrong

Seen both movies, Back to the Future is on my 100 favorite movies list but not top 25, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was a decent movie, not a favorite of mines though.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Back to the Future was #3 on the MoFo '80s List plus #5 on the MoFo Sci-Fi List while One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was #8 on the MoFo '70s List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It's about time OFOtCN got in after everyone's been guessing it for so long!

I admit, I liked Amadeus more, but that might just be me since I thought Salieri was a more personal villain while Ratched was (though in the best way possible) an annoying bitch.

I started some topics on Back to the Future on how to fully understand the hype since I used to be really bothered by the more cheesy aspects of time travel. Now it's my #12.

And with that, two more directors join the multiples group.

III
  • James Cameron: Terminator 2: Judgment Day (71), The Terminator (56), Aliens (37)
  • Steven Spielberg: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (89), Saving Private Ryan (83), Schindler's List (41)
II
  • Alfred Hitchcock: North By Northwest (57), Rear Window (40)
  • Billy Wilder: The Apartment (84), Sunset Boulevard (53)
  • Milos Forman: Amadeus (50), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (33)
  • Paul Thomas Anderson: Magnolia (74), There Will Be Blood (60)
  • Robert Zemeckis: Forrest Gump (65), Back to the Future (34)
  • Victor Fleming: Gone with the Wind (55), The Wizard of Oz (36)

Hint breakdown:

Plead with the judge
For mercy deserved
McMurtry's been sentenced.

"If I could do it again..."
And ask for time served
Both time travel references.

Don't lose your patience
Double-duty: a reference to time, and I almost spelled this "patients" but I think everyone would've gotten it immediately.

Don't try to flee
Don't try to escape
Self-explanatory.

Or get off scot-free

Don't sink to the bottom

Don't fall to the ground

Don't drink the water

And don't miss the sound

Keep trying to change things
But preserve your existence

Trust all your doctors

But not their assistants

Another two worthwhile movies.

Thoroughly enjoyed Back To The Future when it came out and watched it a few times since, though not for probably a decade and a half. Deserves to be here.

Nicholson is superb in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and the film itself a real tour de force. Again, fully deserves to be here.

Seen: 58/68 (Own: 26/68)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
32. Pulp Fiction (1994)
31. The Big Lebowski (1998)

34. Back to the Future

33. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Back to the Future is marvelous mainstream entertainment, which is so creative, scriptwise and visually, that it is difficult to conceive of improving upon it. Teenager Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) is thrust from 1985 back to 1955 through a series of events involving "mad scientist" Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd) and his time-traveling DeLorean. The only way Marty can get "back to the future" is to find the younger Doc Brown and enlist his help. However, Marty has also ended up at the time where his parents meet, and if he doesn't do something to help out, it looks like his parents will never get together. One of the funniest films ever made is also a real feel-good crowd pleaser.

Doc Brown: "Tell me, Future Boy, who's President in 1985?"
Marty: "Ronald Reagan."
Doc Brown: "Ronald Reagan? The Actor? Then who's Vice President? Jerry Lewis?"

I've said before how I went repeatedly to see Cuckoo's Nest at the theatre in late '75/early '76. It was another of those films that really elicited audience reactions and gave me a warm feeling knowing that I could feel better about the problems in the real world for a couple of hours while still considering that there were people who had less control over their lives than I did. The film was really funny and uplifting, but it kept evoking outrage at the same time. And talk about a cast. I didn't know who most of them were! It was the first time I'd seen Danny Devito, Christopher Lloyd, Brad Dourif, Will Sampson, Vincent Schiavelli and Michael Berryman, but they were all great. Jack Nicholson who was at the height of his popularity with critics, audiences and me, probably gives his greatest performance. Just him, sitting in front of a turned-off TV set, giving play-by-play of the World Series, is enough for someone to fall in love with the movies.

My List

4. Star Wars
9. Cabaret
12. Schindler's List
16. Back to the Future
20. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Look at the numbers. At this point for a film to make the cut it can't be on just four or five lists but on nine or ten or fifteen or twenty. That five members on this site may really like say The Master, that is not going to be enough. It's going to take them plus six or eight other MoFos. If twelve people had The Master on their ballots I will be very, very surprised.

But we shall see.
Indeed.

I will give a slight hint to this effect by saying that there are only two films left on the countdown on fewer than 10 ballots. You'll see one of them tomorrow, and one on Monday.

Never voted for either...

But gotta say BTTF is classic Zemeckis.
Murder, attempted murder and vehicular assault, swearing, underage drinking, incest, and a rape scene... in the UK it gets a PG rating, meaning 11 and over is fine, 10 and under just need an adult with you.
Zemeckis did the same with Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Film noir about alcoholism, murder, sex, violence, adultery, and capitalism... gets the same PG rating because well, cartoons.

Back to the Future is good harmless fun! Charming, funny, entertaining and original. I definitely think it’s a great movie within its genre, but I don’t think it’s absolutely amazing. Maybe a little high if it were up to me, but it deserves to be here. It’s a classic.

As for One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is one that I watched when I was getting into movies and while I admired it I didn’t love it. I rewatched it recently and it quite literally flew into the top of my favorite films. So yes, it was most definitely on my list.

A great film with a great heartwarming and heartbreaking story. One of the most “human” movies ever made. Very touching and speaks directly to the soul. Acting is great all around and Nicholson is just a powerhouse on his A-game in this. Love it.

Never voted for either...

But gotta say BTTF is classic Zemeckis.
Murder, attempted murder and vehicular assault, swearing, underage drinking, incest, and a rape scene... in the UK it gets a PG rating, meaning 11 and over is fine, 10 and under just need an adult with you.

Not that I'm justifying the action at all, but I guess it's just me: forcing a woman to make out and forcing a woman to... get it on... have different levels of on-screen severity to me. Don't get me wrong, I still hate that anyone would do that, but for on-screen stuff I don't think it was nasty enough for anything besides a PG or PG-13. The only reason PG-13 wasn't used for BTTF was because that rating had just come out and there was a period of adjustment to try and properly place it. It only came out in '84 because of Gremlins and Temple of Doom, anyway.

Cuckoo’s Nest is great.

BttF was like my #3. It’s a perfect script. That script should be studied by scientists. Every single thing sets up or pays something off. Endlessly rewatchable and entertaining movie.

I forgot about the racist language in BTTF as well

Not taking anything away from the movie... I love it.
Just pointing out Zemeckis is masterful at putting themes that would simply never be seen in a PG movie these days.

So, @Yoda, are you just going to reuse a bunch of the hint for today's films when Shawshank Redemption shows up?
I'm surprised so many people jumped at the very literal judge part, particularly given how little of the rest of it (IMO, naturally) fit! At this point everyone's got the same list of 50 plausible films so anything too straightforward and there's no challenge at all.

I forgot about the racist language in BTTF as well

Not taking anything away from the movie... I love it.
Just pointing out Zemeckis is masterful at putting themes that would simply never be seen in a PG movie these days.
Yeah in less capable hands BttF shouldn’t work at all, at best be a relic of the 80s like Weird Science or something. It’s incredible such a weird ass movie is so timeless and iconic.

I have seen both but One Who Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest has been a very long time since I viewed it. Back To The Future, I recently watched over the past few years.

Two great films. I've only seen Cuckoo's Nest once but I remember really loving it. Back to the Future was my #19. It's just perfect popcorn entertainment.

One of my favourite scenes in any movie ever:

Skepsis' List