Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

Did you see the entire trilogy? I loved this movie the very best, movie 2 not so much & movie 1 was very good.
Yes, I’ve seen the entire trilogy and I would rank it exactly the same! This one is my favourite, followed by 1 and then 2. Tilda is a truly great, remarkable actress.

Yes, I’ve seen the entire trilogy and I would rank it exactly the same! This one is my favourite, followed by 1 and then 2. Tilda is a truly great, remarkable actress.
She really is. She was lovely as her mother. Did you know the dog is Tilda’s dog?

The hotel receptionist was hilarious!

She really is. She was lovely as her mother. Did you know the dog is Tilda’s dog?

The hotel receptionist was hilarious!
I did think the mother rôle was more nuanced, but she was just great overall. And indeed, I discovered it after my first watch, and this time around I could tell she really got along with the dog.

Needed more Schrader.

The scores the man uses are incredible. Also hilarious opening section with the kids. What a genius this man is.

Oh, this is absurd. I get it we’re still in the woke phase and showing naked young women is a big no-no, but the female character is taking a shower to warm up while wearing her bra (and, apparently, knickers). Then she emerges wearing the same and proceeds to attempt to warm up/dry off by putting a dry, warm jumper over her (presumably soaked) bra. I mean, come on, people. This is beyond absurd. Why do the shower scene at all, it could have been skipped instead of this idiocy.

Other than that — relatively engaging.

I know this will be awful, but really want to go to the movies on this gorgeous summer day.
It wasn’t even that awful. I do find it funny how critics/audiences take issue with films about, for lack of a better word, upper class problems/upper class women feeling unhappy. I’m the first to admit I often find these nauseating, and this one was definitely a little melodramatic, but the mere fact the women are rich doesn’t really invalidate any of it. But hell, who am I kidding, I remember a creative writing workshop by a posh British author in London who said there’s no excuse to writing about upper-class female lawyers because ‘most people can’t relate to them’. There it is, relating again.
Other than that, I felt Chastain was definitely a little wasted on this, not sure about Hathaway, but it oscillated between oddly saccharine and kind of self-serious…
On the other hand, it validates my father’s paranoid viewpoint that
WARNING: spoilers below
one should never friends with one’s neighbours (or trust people at large) as the moment you turn your back, they’ll poison you, and any fondness they might have for your children has has got to be sinister
Also, I don’t know, maybe it’s my self-imposed celibacy talking, but as usual, I cannot imagine why any of these people would sleep with each other, get married and slave away in their kids’ service. Some character development would help, I guess. Not sure, though.
I’d seen Bradshaw’s review by chance before I even watched the film, and this in particular seemed ridiculous: ‘Thriller about rich suburban housewives whose picture-perfect lives belie past traumas lacks the self-awareness needed to prevent it from being utterly absurd.’ I mean, what else do you expect from The Guardian, but this feels off to me; I’m all for self-aware meta-art, but in a film where
WARNING: spoilers below
a child dies and the ensuing grief and trauma play a huge part, I don’t see what that so-called ‘self-awareness’ would add/look like. ‘Oh, we’re so privileged and fortunate to own an upper-class home for our child to die in and for us to grieve in, we should be grateful and own our privilege’.
What in tarnation is this crap?

Wanted to see this, but I couldn't find it. Till now.

I know this will be awful, but really want to go to the movies on this gorgeous summer day.
A “gorgeous summer day” in England on April 1? Gee, times sure have changed since I lived there.

Respect Sydney, and finally, a nighttime horror screening (starts at 23.20 not accounting for ads).
I’m a huge fan.

A “gorgeous summer day” in England on April 1? Gee, times sure have changed since I lived there.
Hey, look, I have a realistic view of British weather. But yes, it’s very warm and very sunny, and that, ladies and gents, is good enough for me! Global warming and all, you know.

Hey, look, I have a realistic view of British weather. But yes, it’s very warm and very sunny, and that, ladies and gents, is good enough for me! Global warming and all, you know.
I wish we had anything like you have today. Totally bundled up today.