Dexter (Showtime)

Tools    

I am now ready to leap into the second season with Showtime's favorite serial killer. Anxious to see if dangling plot points left over from last season are addressed. Glad they didn't change the opening credit sequence, I love it. Weren't "Tonight's the night" the opening words of the first season? Angel's New Age sensibility is getting very tiresome. "With Doaakes tailing me, my life is all Jekyll and no Hyde." Is that Glenn Plummer playing Jimmy Sensio? I love him. Don't understand why he spared Jimmy? I get the impression that Deb doesn't plan on leaving Dexter's house unless he throws her out. That flashback with Harry and Dexter...that's not how Harry died, is it? Doakes' obsession with Dexter continues to redefine squirm worthy. Hey that was Max Gail Deb was interviewing. I think LaGuerta prevented Deb from punching out that guy with the camera. Don't get how Paul has been able to keep his kids thinking that he's a superhero. Rita lied about the show, I don't believe it. Chino is a freaking beast. I see Vince's obsession with Deb is still smoldering. So whose body was that the scuba divers found? Deb works my last nerve...whenever she knocks on Dexter's door, she expects him to answer it within five seconds. I understand she still feels like Rudy made her feel like a fool, but it's time for her to move on and away from Dexter. Wow, they didn't waste anytime giving Esme a personal life and LaGuerta seemed to enjoy it. Rita keeps acting like she doesn't want to help Paul, but she keeps accepting charges when Paul goes. Why did she turn around and tell Paul about the shoe? "One man's tattoos are another man's blood slides." Dexter looked so excited to have a new playroom. "My psycho killer fiancee, I've had worse, at least he paid for my meals." Well, at least Rita admitted to residual feelings toward Paul. I don't blame Deb for smacking that guy in the bar. Why did he feel he had to grab her and turn her around? That was the first time I've seen Dexter lose control of someone he already had on the table. What was the point of the whole shoe thing if they were going to turn around and kill Paul? They couldn't have done that just to protect Dex. Daxter was practically salivating when he saw all those bags being pulled out of the water. Well. only one dangling plot point from season one that wasn't addressed, but I'll be patient.

Season Two, Ep 2. "Makes the ice truck killer look like a ******* artist." Esme is a little new on the job for letting her personal life get in the way. The parallels with the past and the present are uncanny, almost too uncanny. I knew that wasn't Chino following Dexter. I knew Deb has no plans on moving out of Dexter's apartment. Did Chino know Dexter was there when he was being questioned with his lawyer? Is that Keith Carradine playing Frank Lundy? Why all this discussion about not liking the name "Bay City Butcher"...if they don't like the name, why can't they just change it? Felt kind of bad for Deb when she freaked out over the tape. Even getting to the office, the first concern of Deb is where her brother is. Lundy nailed it when he said Doakes doesn't play well with others. Why was Rita so nasty to Dexter? "There's something balancing about that kind of consistency." Deborah really isn't ready to go back to work, but she's not going to admit that ever, Wow, Rita, Dexter, and the kids were the only people present at Paul's funeral? That speaks volumes. It's most fitting that Rudy is haunting Dexter. LaGuerta is playing a dangerous game with Esme. Apparently Dexter is the last thing on Chino's mind right now. Chino was actually going to kill that little boy? "That kind of talk is just going to get you closer to your victims." "I'm not so much doing this to you as I am doing it for me.?" Was a little surprised that Dexter didn't lie to Rita. I wonder what Dexter's next move is? His plate is a little full for rehab. Now he wants Deb to stay? Loved the final moment at the water.

Yes, that's Keith Carradine.

WARNING: "Spoilers on some big name guest stars headed your way (not necessarily in order of appearance)..." spoilers below
Jimmy Smits, Colin Hanks (Tom's son), Julia Stiles, John Lithgow, Edward James Olmos, Peter Weller, JoBeth Williams, & more!

Yes, that's Keith Carradine.

WARNING: "Spoilers on some big name guest stars headed your way (not necessarily in order of appearance)..." spoilers below
Jimmy Smits, Colin Hanks (Tom's son), Julia Stiles, John Lithgow, Edward James Olmos, Peter Weller, JoBeth Williams, & more!
I heard about Lithgow. I saw him win the Emmy for it.

Season Two, Ep 3. Loved Dexter making his mental shopping list during the AA meeting. The last thing Dexter needs in his life right now is another woman. Rita's feeling of moral superiority regarding addiction is really annoying. Don't understand Dexter's relationship with Rita at all. He doesn't love her, but doesn't want to lose her either. Is Dexter just pretending that he doesn't know Doakes is following him all the time? I like that Deb was appointed to Lundy's team and Dexter wasn't. She needs a little space from Dexter, living together and working together. "I'm a fed, my suit proves it." Why were the team standing against the wall like a lineup? This car salesman is a murderer? "Even Roger's hair is a lie." Of course Dexter gets reassigned...can't keep him and Deb apart for more than ten seconds. "He was in and out of jail, but my heart raced whenever I saw him." I bet Deb asked to be taken off Lundy's team because she doesn't know Dex has been reassigned. "Nothing stays buried...perhaps not even me." I don't think that girl believed a second of Dexter's share. her accent is terrible. I don't like this girl at all, not sure if it's the character or the actress, but i don't like her. She thinks she knows everything. "Rita will have to understand"...yeah, that's gonna happen. Did he really think Rita was just going to accept his decision because he wanted her to? LaGuerta needs to back off trying to handle Esme. Why does Dexter think he can just make Rita accept him not going to meetings? That's never going to happen. Carradine played that scene with Deborah. Not sure what kind of games Matthews is playing with LaGuerta? Doakes' obsession with Dexter is getting really creepy. Lundy really caught Dexter off guard. Was that Doakes' tire Dexter slashed? Just remembered where I know the actor playing the car salesman. He played an alcoholic lawyer getting sober and falling for Allison Janney's Bonnie on Mom. This is the first victim of Dexter's to really mess with his head. This is the most conversation he has ever had with one of his victims. I guess he's really wants to hold onto Rita, but I agree with him being in NA is a mistake. Michael C Hall nailed Dexter's share. Loved that Doakes knows that Dexter slashed his tire. "I need to tell my mother and sister that they're safe and he's rotting in hell." I still think Dexter and NA is a mistake. Once again another fictional story around recovery ignoring the fact that in the rooms, men only sponsor men and women only sponsor women.

Season Two, Ep 4. Do we really care about Rita's mother, outside of what actress is playing her? The writers seem to enjoy making Rita look like an idiot. OK, this thing with Esme and her ex is getting distracting...bring it directly into the story or drop it. Michael C Hall has no chemistry with this actress. "before you accept who you are, you have to now who you are." Good to see James Remar, it's been a few minutes since we've seen him. "You don't kill this many people because it's a chore, you do it because you like it." The actress playing Rita's mother does look familiar. Just realized that's JoBeth Williams playing Rita's mom. It would be nice to see Lundy and Deborah hook up because the amount of time Deb spends with her "brother" is just not natural. Rita sure didn't waste anytime suggesting Dex find another sponsor. Loved that Rita cuffed Gabriel to the bed to protect herself. Didn't realize Deb and Gabriel were at Dexter's house until Dexter walked in on them. Why would she bring a man to Dexter's house. She really needs to move out. This woman who Ange was questioning is definitely hiding something. Was Deborah actually trying to make Lundy jealous? How is algae relevant to the case? OK, why did the bring Esme onto the canvas if she's just a nut case? To make Matthews look bad? I didn't know Doakes was married once. Why don't I understand people who would rather die than go to prison? Glad LaGuerta got her job back and without stepping on toes or going against protocol. OK, Lila telling Dexter that it's wrong for him to get another sponsor is way out of line. Is she going to start stalking him now? OK, Lila being aroused by corpses just seems a little convenient to keep her on the show. "That doctor didn't even see the monster inside of ya." Hating that Lia is luring Dexter back under her spell but not surprised. I knew that woman was hiding something from Angel. I can't believe what that newscaster said. That Gabriel has a deadly disarming smile in the tradition of Jack Nicholson. Whoa!!! LaGuerta was seeing Esme's ex to get her job back? Did not see that coming. Didn't think LaGuerta was that calculated. Dexter in full self-preservation mode...I like it. Is that part of Dexter's issues? Suicidal tendencies?

Season Two, Ep 5 The opening narration about long lines was kind of corny. Don't understand how people think the Nay City Butcher is some kind of hero. "Yeah, but I think we had different homework assignments." The way Dexter was looking at that snow globe was kind of creepy. My meth lab's in the sock drawer." Deb was wrong for going through that guy's drawers was wrong and her using the attempt on her life as an excuse for what she's doing doesn't fly with me. How did that armadillo get in Rita's house under its own power? Can't believe Rita's mom just flat out told Dexter to leave. Loved the way they slipped grown Dexter into that flashback. Doakes is going to get to walk on both of those shootings? Lila's obsession with knowing exactly what's going on with Dexter should make her a victim at some point. Lundy is determined to make Deb lighten up. "Good news, you've got the place to yourself if you want to tie up Gabriel again." Dexter wouldn't kill Rita's mother, would he? It's so strange that Dexter is being the closest he can be to honest with Lila more than anyone else on the canvas. LaGuerta and Doakes have a romantic past? That explains a lot. I'm hoping Deb is wrong about Gabriel. Julie Benz nailed that scene where she actually stood up to her mother, which kind of surprised me. Michael C Hall scared the hell out of me in that scene in the bar. God, can Dexter spend one hour of his life without getting a phone call from some female in his life? The scene lost its power with Lia's phone call. Did they take Gabriel away from Deb so she could hook up with Lundy? They're leading that way. I KNEW she was wrong about Gabriel. Loving Keith Carradine. Lila's determination to stay in Dexter's life is definitely going to complicate his relationship with Rita? Cannot believe Gail s determined to stay under Rita's foot to keep an eye on Dexter...that can't be good for anyone. Loved the final shot of the security camera.

Season Two, Ep 6. Wonder who's going to catch Dexter on the security footage? Dexter's mother was a cop too? Oh, she was a CI. The relationship between Dexter and his parents is getting overly complex for my tastes. Why does Doakes think Dexter is an addict? Deb was seeing red when Lundy wanted Dexter to accompany him to the new scene. Who was this guy deb and Lundy were questioning? Lundy must have seen Dexter on the security tape. That glitch with Lundy's security camera was extremely convenient. Very slick of Lila giving partial credit to Dexter's step work to Rita and Gail. It always cracks me up when Rita gets frisky. So sick of Deb whining about being neglected by her father. Lila's voicemail was completely calculated. Dexter and Deb sleep in the same room? Seriously? Deborah is really all worked up over Lundy and Dexter. Not sure why LaGuerta is protecting Doakes? It can't be their history revealed in the last episode. First Lila becomes Dexter's sponsor and now she has sex with him? Can this show make NA look anymore ridiculous? Did she actually have the nerve to refer to herself a good sponsor? Rita is seriously addicted to Dexter. How many times has she dumped him and called him back an hour later since I began this show? OK, I don't think LaGuerta is trying to protect Doakes, but why is she trying to protect Dexter? A grown man eating animal crackers? This guy's a copycat? Is Dexter getting a taste of his own medicine? "No, I'm still going to kill you, I have to, but I don't need to." Why did Dexter that close to fixing things with Rita and then just totally messed with her head?

I had a few friends in AA and through them I learned what "Step 13" was.
It's an unrecognized step in twelve step programs where attendees hook up with other members for non-recovery-related "activities" that take place in private settings.

All these references reminded me of that.

Season 2, Ep 7. I was pretty sure that opening sex scene with Dexter and Lila was a dream and I was waiting to find out whose dream it was. Deb needs to get out of Dexter's house and love life, and get a house and love life of her own. She's the last one to be giving anyone relationship advice. "I'm tired of reacting to the moves of Agent Lundy and his super posse." Love how no matter the team gets to finding Dexter, he never even comes close t breaking a sweat. I definitely believe Doakes has no sense of humor. LaGuerta is probably helping Dexter by keeping Doakes off his ass. Nice to see Margo Martindale again and I like that Carmen is on Dexter's side and vice versa. Dexter considers himself the root of all evil? That's deep. Lundy is definitely getting under deb's skin, even if she doesn't know it yet Love Dexter throwing Doakes off his trail. OK, Lila talking that hostess into a table was way too creepy for my tastes. This is what I'm talking about...Lila said it's been weeks since they've discussed his recovery...that's the whole purpose of the relationship. He's really falling for her and no good can come of that. Rita's mom seems to be trying to raise her grandchildren right under her nose. The Angel/Star Trek scene was pointless. Loved Deb falling under the spell of Chopin. Deb running into naked Lila was hysterical. "Requiem for Demonic Dexter"...that was funny. What was that file hid on Doakes' desk? The blood report Doakes told him wasn't done yet...Dexter's the man! It's almost as if Dexter is gaslighting Doakes. Saw Deb breaking up with Gabriel coming, but damn that was harsh. I'm glad there's something inside Dexter that sees something wrong with him and Lila. Whose house was that where Dexter and Lila had sex? I know Dexter will be seeing Rita's son's school project. It's not Rita's mom's place to be disciplining her grandchildren. "You don't leave any room for anyone else to exist." Took a little longer than it should have, but it's about Rita kicked her mom out.. "Your past is about as f*cking" mysterious as Jimmy Hoffa." Somehow I think putting Doakes on administrative leave is going to make him even more dangerous to Dexter. Lundy is starting rub off on Deborah....finally, she might stop thinking about Dexter for five minutes. Jennifer Carpenter played that scene with Carradine where she admitted she might need Lundy. The first Deb/Lundy kiss, didn't see that coming so soon. Lila has some sort of plan for that $18,000 and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Dexter. Not sure which one is more addicted to Dexter...Lila or Rita. OK< it's official, Lila is a straight up psychopath.

Season Twp, Ep 8. Keith Gordon directed this episode. "And now I share the kitchen with a cobra and a mongoose." Deb threatening to move out...she's not going anywhere. Dexter's attempts to have it all are failing dismally. :That's exactly how Hitler walked." Lila Still seems to be trying to tighten her noose on Dexter. She definitely started that fire on purpose. Lundy is really trying to get inside Dexter's head. Loved Bruce Weitz as Lenny Asher. Lundy's not using Deb to get to Dexter is he? Lila just won't take n for an answer. "I would love to taste your toast." Looks like Dexter has finally caught on to Lila, thank God. Can't believe it's taken them this long to figure out that the Bayy Harbor Butcher is a cop. "The Lia Experiment is officially over." "Yu are more dangerous than my addiction will ever be."

Season Two, Ep 9. "I already know who I am and I'm tired of fighting it. I think Lundy knows more than he's letting on. Is LaGuerta in love with Doakes? Where is he going? You could see it all over her face that Deborah doesn't want anyone to know about her and Lundy? It's a little convenient that they're suspecting everybody in the station except Dexter. What exactly is Doakes doing that he had to go all the way to Haiti to do it? So Doakes has a history we haven't been privy too yet. Dexter needs to stop whining to these technicians or he's going to raise their suspicions. I can't believe Lila showed up at the station, I'm so over her. God, I wish he would just kill her. I love Deb being indignant because Lundy doesn't tell her everything he's doing. Doakes a trained assassin? Shocker. How did Doakes get the slides out of Dexter's place? These people actually think Doakes is the killer? Seriously? Deb really doesn't want to move out of Dex's house, no mater what she says. The camerawork and editing when Dexter was checking those slides were excellent. I love after Dexter's description of Lila, Angel still wants her. Poor Angel really needs to get laid, and if Lila is the one, so be it. OK, it's obvious now...LaGuerta is in love with Doakes. It does make the FBI look like idiots though...this close and wrong. Rita's timing is uncanny, the woman can't live without Dexter, whether she'll admit it or not. Is Doakes really going to be framed for this? Wow, didn't see Lundy and Deb going public like that. That was funny. How'd Doakes get back from Haiti so fast? I don't see how he can kill Doakes and walk away.

Season Two, Ep 10. Very curious to see how they're going t get Dexter out of this without him killing Doakes cause I just don't see that happening. He can't keep Doakes locked up forever, that will lead people straight to Dexter. Rita has incredible timing. She doesn't consider Dex being under bodyguard even the least bit suspicious? OK, i really don't like the way Rita is messing with Dexter...she doesn't want to date, but uses her kids to manipulate him? And Dexter feels guilt about it? I guess LaGuerta made it officially that she's in love with Doakes and she's the main reason Dexter can't kill Doakes. Once again, Deb is observed talking to Dexter like a girlfriend, not a sibling. Wasn't Doakes trying to get his phone right out of The Brady Bunch in the Grand Canyon? Dexter's speech to Doakes about his decision was pure evil and nasty, rare emotions I've gotten from Dexter. Doakes really messed up when he mentioned Harry. I always wanna giggle when I see Michael C Hall and Jennifer Carpenter in their "teenage: wigs. James Remar was excellent in that scene though. So Lundy thinks the case is over? Angel, Dexter, Rita, Rita's kids and Angel's daughter? No good can come from that. Erik King looked hilarious with an afro. Dexter seemed genuinely angry when Doakes accused him of having no conscience. Not surprised that there are secrets around Harry's death. "You can't play on my feelings...I don't have any." Matthews was dancing as fast as he could with Dexter and I don't believe a word Matthews send and don't believe Harry committed suicide. I kind of enjoyed watching Lundy nail LaGuerta. This news about Harry seems to have really punched Dexter in the gut. Selling roofies on a basketball court? When is TV going to catch up to the fact that drug dealers don't hang in parks or on corners anymore? "I though the novelty of my AARP discount would wear off and you would get tired of me." Lundy and Deborah are growing on me. I hope Angel doesn't get hurt being used by Lila, he's a nice guy. He's killed someone else in front of Doakes? How can he not kill him now?

Season Two, Ep 11. Doakes wants to get free on his own terms, but that's not happening. He has be real friend to Dexter, which will never happen. Can't believe he told him not to answer the phone. Lila is framing Dexter for something and I'm not sure how she can do that, We can do without teenage Deborah. Why is Lila trying to frame Angel for rape, why would she do that to Angel instead of Baxter. I hope Dexter doesn't fall under Lials's spell again. "You warned me about her, but my dick wouldn't listen." Angel doesn't deserve the collateral damage he is about to become.. Love Jonathan Banks, hope he's going to be around for awhile. "For such a neat monster, I'm making an awfully big mess." Deborah demanding threatening to shove cuffs up the ass of a fellow cop just doing his job was stupid. Doakes can't catch a break. I like the way Lundy takes responsibility for his mistakes and never tries to pass the buck. Rita does this really annoying thing where she demands attention from Dexter and once she gets it, she fights it tooth and nail. Who did those guys think Doakes was? How did Doakes let Dexter get him back in the cage? Loved Dexter's speech to James about their conversations being a release for him. This is the second season of a six season show, so we know he's not turning himself in. LaGuerta is willing put her job at risk for Doakes? I'm sorry, but I would love to see Dexter murder Lila. Nice twist that Lila has no paper trial. That's the beginning of the end for her. Why aren't Rita and Deb seeing that Dexter is putting his affairs in order? Deborah didn't find it strange that a guy Dexter's age was preparing a will? Deb played that scene with Lila with so much bile. There's no freaking way he's going to confess to Deborah. Definitely did not see that final scene coming, which seems to be a staple with this show.