Jarhead

Tools    

Based on former Marine Anthony Swofford's best-selling 2003 book about his pre-Desert Storm experiences in Saudi Arabia and about his experiences fighting in Kuwait.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/jarhead/

Originally Posted by Hell_Bent
Jarhead is a very powerful book, a first-person account of a young Marine in the Gulf War, and very well-written. But I'm not sure how it'll translate to the big screen, as there was no traditional through-line narrative. I also have trouble envisioning Jake Gyllenhaal as Tony Swofford. But that may be due mainly to the fact that I've met the man a bunch of times.

The trailer is OK. But however the movie turns out, I do highly recommend the book.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Thanks for all the info guys... I'm interested in seeing the movie and reading the book...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

A system of cells interlinked
Caught a nice trailer for this at the theater last night. It looked quite interesting.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Very enticing trailer. The choice of Jesus Walks was especially good. I think I'll probably see this one, given solid word-of-mouth.
Well, I was talking to Tony Swofford a bit the other day and he is absoultely pleased with the movie, very excited about the way it turned out.

That's all the word-of-mouth I need.

I'm glad he's pleased with the adaptation of his book, but seeing as how I haven't read it (and thus have no opinion of it), the fact that it's a good translation doesn't really mean much. Generally a trailer gives me a pretty good idea of whether or not I want to see something, but in this instance I'll give the Tomatometer precedence.

Saw the trailer a few times now and I have to say that it seems "right on". I was therem and the emotional waterfall that flooded my mind when I experienced the snippet was amazing. I will definitely watch this. Hope it stays true.

Originally Posted by Sedai
Caught a nice trailer for this at the theater last night. It looked quite interesting.
I'm not a big fan of rap but the song in the trailer is perfect.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Originally Posted by Twain
I'm not a big fan of rap but the song in the trailer is perfect.
Yeah- I'm not a fan of the song either but is did make the trailer more dynamic

District B13
Am I the only one who thought the choice of dance hip-hop and cliche drama war mechanics were a little bit cringing to the soul?

I saw platoon, Ray, the dude from garden state, and more platoon. Except with snappy hip hop.

Bleh.

But? I don't know, the Great Raid turned out to be mediocre and I thought it would be great, so perhaps things will work in reverse for the war movie.

Also, note to Sedai: You once told me that you never looked at a preview to determine if a movie is good or not. What is up with you quoting the trailer as good? I was just about to follow your moo but now you're going poo poo.

Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
Am I the only one who thought the choice of dance hip-hop and cliche drama war mechanics were a little bit cringing to the soul?
It fits, like it or not outside the movie, but in relationship to the movie and the era, it fits. "Welcome to the suck" if you havent been there then I guess it sounds "Urban." Well it is, at least it is real. Oh well, just me I guess.

District B13
Originally Posted by 7thson
It fits, like it or not outside the movie, but in relationship to the movie and the era, it fits. "Welcome to the suck" if you havent been there then I guess it sounds "Urban." Well it is, at least it is real. Oh well, just me I guess.
Well, if you HAVE been to Desert Shield and you HAVE listened to Jesus Walks before it was created then I am in the wrong.

However, I hardly think that adding a soul-less (that's right, soul-less) dance track to a (by the previews) platoon version of Desert Shield is very on tap.

If, perhaps, Guns n Roses was playing, or maybe Run DMC, or perhaps Sonic Youth, then that would fit the era.

As for fitting the ideas, Jesus Walks is pure money, it's "Jesus loves us" tunes don't mean anything other than to pimp some hoes. Real Jesus music is found in a church, this music is not meant to ponder religion, support it, have anything to with war, but rather add a sappy dance track to a hip hoppers "Hoes and Me and some more hoes but no men cuz I'm not like that" cd.

That being said, I haven't seen the book or saw the movie, so I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

But I do know that the trailer was cliche trash. Will the movie be that way? I cannot speak a word about it.

Well, if you HAVE been to Desert Shield and you HAVE listened to Jesus Walks before it was created then I am in the wrong.

However, I hardly think that adding a soul-less (that's right, soul-less) dance track to a (by the previews) platoon version of Desert Shield is very on tap.

If, perhaps, Guns n Roses was playing, or maybe Run DMC, or perhaps Sonic Youth, then that would fit the era.

As for fitting the ideas, Jesus Walks is pure money, it's "Jesus loves us" tunes don't mean anything other than to pimp some hoes. Real Jesus music is found in a church, this music is not meant to ponder religion, support it, have anything to with war, but rather add a sappy dance track to a hip hoppers "Hoes and Me and some more hoes but no men cuz I'm not like that" cd.

That being said, I haven't seen the book or saw the movie, so I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

But I do know that the trailer was cliche trash. Will the movie be that way? I cannot speak a word about it.
In my mind from some of the things I was part of and saw, "Jesus" or "God" was not present anywhere near the gateway to Hell, and I tell you that because it is how I feel not to be dramatic.

And yet, you type and type and type.

District B13
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
And yet, you type and type and type.
Apparently you didn't read my summise, I said I can't stand on a leg about the movie. But this trailer that everyone is quoting as being so cool is cliche dance trash.

So I can type and type as long as you can't fathom a reasonable answer or response. Or maybe you just like cliche trash?

Ah yes, Run DMC. Just full of "soul."

It's a trailer. The movie is supposed to fit its own era, but the trailer is supposed to sell the movie in this era. Now any movie about the past has to sell itself only with music written beforehand?

Apparently you didn't read my summise, I said I can't stand on a leg about the movie. But this trailer that everyone is quoting as being so cool is cliche dance trash.
You keep saying it, but there's really no reasonable standard under which the song in question is a "dance" track.

So I can type and type as long as you can't fathom a reasonable answer or response. Or maybe you just like cliche trash?
This is the second time you've been unnecessarily rude towards someone simply for disagreeing with you. Make sure it's the last.

[quote=ObiWanShinobi]Am I the only one who thought the choice of dance hip-hop and cliche drama war mechanics were a little bit cringing to the soul?

Yes

I saw platoon, Ray, the dude from garden state, and more platoon. Except with snappy hip hop.

I thought it was one of the most intriguing trailers of the year and look forward to seeing Gyllenhaal and Foxx.

Apparently you haven't read through the entire thread where I explain I am a big fan of the book and am basing my expectations on far more than said trailer. Or maybe you're just so desperately looking for a fight you can overlook such things?

*YAWN*