The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I just watched it again on youtube and I could have sworn he hits her more, and I watched it yesterday too. Strange The initial slap after she says it's her daughter was a bit extreme though, he could have asked why or she could have explained herself better.
They're both driven by their "Id". There's no rational thinking possible. He grabs back to his dominating nature and she falls back in her submissive role.

The first time i watched Chinatown i didn't like it at all, i thought it was incredibly boring and i almost switched it off a few time. Since then i've watched it twice and i've grown to love it, it's no doubt a film that is rewarding on a rewatch or possibly i was't in the right mood at the time. Chinatown has one of the finest scripts, soundtracks and some amazing performances. Jake is now among my favourite movie characters. I think it was Mark F that pointed out how Jake isn't like your Humphrey Bogart super Noir PI that gets everything right, and i think that's the main reason he's so appealing to me at least. Chinatown makes 18 from my list i had it at 11.

2.The Exorcist
3.A Clockwork Orange
4.Eraserhead
6.The Godfather Part 2
7.Apocalypse Now
8.One Flew Over the Cukoos Nest
10.The Jerk
11.Chinatown
12.Paper Moon
13.Dog Day Afternoon
14.Aguirre, the Wrath of God
15.Five Easy Pieces
16.Enter The Dragon
17.Get Carter
18.Manhattan
19.The Outlaw Josey Wales
20.Little Big Man
21.Mean Streets
22.The Bad News Bears (wont make it)
24.Close Encounters of the Third Kind
25.Watership Down (wont make it)

Chinatown was #17 on my list, but it would've been several spots higher if I had re-watched it before submitting my list. I own the DVD, but I hadn't watched it in a couple of years. I watched it again about a week or so ago, though, and I realized that I had forgotten just how damn good the movie is. Even though I know how it all plays out, I once again found myself on the edge of my seat, caught up in the mystery and all its twists and turns into ever darkening territory. To echo what's already been said: the movie is perfectly constructed, features an intelligent script, beautiful photography, an excellent musical score that accentuates the mood, an opening credits that basically informs the viewer that he or she is about to watch an all-time classic, great performances, fantastic dialogue, and one mean bitch of an ending. (I actually know a girl who refuses to watch Chinatown again, even though she admits that it's an excellent film, because the ending leaves her feeling too wounded as a viewer. Her negative feelings on the ending are compounded by Polanski's legal issues, since the whole villain/rapist escaping unscathed to continue his horrible misconduct with Dunaway's sister(slap)daughter(slap)sister(slap)daughter leaves a bad taste in her mouth. Her loss, I say.)

After seeing that Chinatown was the latest entry on the countdown, I popped back in the DVD and watched some of the special features. It's always interesting to learn about all the little details and arguments that happen during the making of a film, especially a masterpiece like Chinatown. Towne's initial script didn't have any scenes taking place in Chinatown. He viewed Chinatown more as a metaphor than a setting, but Polanski felt at least one scene must take place in Chinatown if it was going to be the name of the film. Towne also disagreed with Polanski's ending. I've already forgotten what the original ending was supposed to be, but it sounded complicated and it involved Dunaway's character getting arrested. I'm glad Polanski won that argument, because without the-head-hitting-the-horn ending and that iconic closing line ("Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown"), I don't think the film would pack quite the same punch. Polanski said he was reluctant to make the film at first and saw it more as a job than a passion project, but now he considers it his second best film behind only The Pianist.

Has anyone seen The Two Jakes, by the way? I've got it recorded but haven't watched it yet. I know a lot of people aren't even aware that Chinatown has a sequel. I assume it must not be very good.

Has anyone seen The Two Jakes, by the way? I've got it recorded but haven't watched it yet. I know a lot of people aren't even aware that Chinatown has a sequel. I assume it must not be very good.
I've seen it and I actually liked it quite a bit. It's not in any way on the level of Chinatown of course, but I think it's a great film with its own peculiar atmosphere.

It's definitely rough around the edges and the script isn't as brilliantly compact as Chinatown's, but the film looks deliciously stylish and despite the overly complex plot, the story is very engaging and touches on a few interesting psychological and philosophical themes, in my opinion. It has kind of an irresistible mood to it that makes it fascinating.

I'm aware that many people will probably not like it as much as I do, but I definitely think The Two Jakes is worth a shot for fans of Chinatown. You might even get an intense movie watching experience out of it, like I did.

Watch the trailer. If it looks like your thing, you should enjoy it.

As old as I am, and as much as I love Film Noir, I've never seen Chinatown....But as you guys think highly of it, I will trust your opinions and so I just requested it from my library.

A system of cells interlinked
Speaking about the same phenomenon that Camo mentions above:

Of the top 3 films on my Favorite Film list on my profile, which are Bladerunner, Mulholland Drive, and Chinatown, I didn't like ANY of them on first watch. I saw Bladerunner when it first hit the theaters, and I was around 11 years old at the time. My Star Wars obsessed mind just wasn't ready for Bladerunner. After watching Mulholland Drive (on a recommendation), I was pretty much physically pissed that I had just wasted 2.5 hours of my life watching a bunch of nonsense. I went right back to the video store and told the clerk to stop pushing rubbish films on the citizenry. I am sure I have told this story before on these here forums, but three days later, all i can think about is this damn film. So, after driving the rental copy back to Blockbuster and complaining, three days later i am at the store buying a copy of the movie. I think I watched it 10 more times in the next 7 days. The first time I watched Chinatown, it just didn't grab me, and I don't think I even made it to the end. it was mentioned as a classic in a film noir book I was reading sometime later, so ended up giving it another chance, and was captivated first frame to last.

Some films require subsequent viewings, methinks.

I had Chinatown at #4. Nothing really to add, except I always seem to love and appreciate the film more with each viewing.

My list:

2. A Clockwork Orange (#7)
3. Life of Brian (#41)
4. Chinatown (#6)
5. Manhattan (#52)
6. The Outlaw Josey Wales (#49)
7. The Jerk (#54)
8. The Omen (#99)
10. The Godfather II (#10)
11. Dirty Harry (#34)
12. Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (X)
13. The Conversation (#18)
14. The French Connection (#31)
15. Young Frankenstein (#15)
16. Enter the Dragon (#24)
17. Frenzy (#121)
18. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (#22)
19. Harold and Maude (#27)
20. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (#8)
21. The Friends of Eddie Coyle (X)
22. Network (#32)
24. Being There (#98)
25. Little Big Man (#61)

Once you get past the first viewing and let go of the fact that it is not anywhere near the class nor complexity of the original, it's a decent sequel, competently directed by Jack himself, very well cast, with lovely cinematography by the great Vilmos Zsigmond. Unfortunately the poor box office performance coupled with the falling out that Nicholson and Towne had over the film means we will never see the third chapter of his Los Angeles tale (Gittes vs. Gittes, set in 1968) come to life on the screen.

The Two Jakes also has one of my very favorite posters. It may even be better than the original's.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	jakes.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	16910  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Not the greatest title ever, for sure.

I think even something along the lines of Everything is Jake, which is at least an actual expression, might have served them better? But I don't think the awkward title is what stopped it from being a hit. It was definitely a financial flop in 1990.

"Everything's rosy, everything's Jake, but how much more can a good gal take...?"

As old as I am, and as much as I love Film Noir, I've never seen Chinatown....But as you guys think highly of it, I will trust your opinions and so I just requested it from my library.
You're in for a treat, Citizen.

5. Star Wars
4.Alien
3.The Godfather
2.Taxi Driver
1.Jaws

My prediction for the Top 5

Chinatown is an incredible accomplishment with many memorable scenes and An amazing performance by Nicholson once again also the best movie from Roman Polanski. Well deserved.

1.Taxi Driver
2.The Godfather
3.Star Wars
4.Jaws
5.Alien

copycat

I'm confident that by the time I have revealed number three on Saturday, at least some of you will finally get the order of the remaining two correct. But not all of you.

And I have seen Chinatown on the big screen many times, probably approaching at least ten now, including twice this year (on its 40th Anniversary). Really quite extraordinary in the theater. If you get the opportunity, don't pass it up.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-lrg-38.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	16911  

I'm a bit bummed to see Chinatown at #6, since I had some hope for it to win it all. Number one on my list, shot by shot perfect film. As far as the rest of the top ten goes I had Apocalypse Now very high, and A Clockwork Orange in the mid section of my list.

I guess I'm rooting for Jaws to win it all now.