al pacino vs robert di nero

Tools    

who is your fav actor, who has made the best movies .

Choose between DeNiro and Pacino? That's a tough choice, they are both brilliant actors, so different in acting styles and the type of characters they play in movies. They both have icon status and memorable roles in a number of movies. I guess I'd lean towards Pacino for some of the roles he has played in the past. I love them both so its difficult to choose between them.

De Niro for me. Even though his career has somehow managed to go downhill in the past few years, he's still given many of the most memorable performances of all time, and IMO, his body of work outshines Pacino's. It's a close call though.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I gotta give it to Pacino. I'm prejudiced though, cause I saw him years ago in a small theatre production of American Buffalo on Circle in the Square in NYC, and he was mesmerizing.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Robert De Niro... coz Al Pacino would never suit the role of the Travis Bickle
,,on the other hand Pacino didn't think rocky and bullwinkle was a good idea.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I enjoy the films of Robert DeNiro a bit more. In my mind nothing Pacino's done tops Taxi Driver.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

DeNiro, I like Pacino but he's never been able to come close to some of the performances DeNiro has given over his career. That being said I'd love both of them to get their heads back and star in some decent movies again. I guess the pay check is more important at the moment.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Agreed. After seeing their 1 magnificent scene in Heat, Righteous Kill made me want to hurl.
(and you don't wanna see Earl hurl)

DeNiro, I like Pacino but he's never been able to come close to some of the performances DeNiro has given over his career. That being said I'd love both of them to get their heads back and star in some decent movies again. I guess the pay check is more important at the moment.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Sometimes I prefer Al De Niro, and other times I like Robert Pacino a bit more. I think that once I even said that Al De Paniro ruled between the two. I must have been having a good time though, so don't hold it against me.

Sometimes I prefer Al De Niro, and other times I like Robert Pacino a bit more. I think that once I even said that Al De Paniro ruled between the two. I must have been having a good time though, so don't hold it against me.

LOL

I like them both, of course, but this is an easy call for me: Bobby DeNiro. Even though DeNiro has pretty well been pissing on his legacy for much of the last dozen years or so, he still reigns supreme. If for no other reason, Raging Bull is if not the greatest performance in the history of film it's certainly in any conversation among the top three or four. Pacino, for all his greatness, simply doesn't have one that reaches that level. All things being equal, Raging Bull gives DeNiro the knockout.

But I don't think all things are equal anyway, DeNiro just has more great work to his credit. Apart from Raging Bull he worked with Marty Scorsese another seven times against zero for Pacino, so there's another huge advantage in Bobby D's column. They've both worked with DePalma, but with Carlito's Way I have to give that one to Pacino. Both worked with Coppola of course, and while DeNiro is "only" in Godfather II Michael Corleone is Al's signature so I have to give that to him. Both worked with Michael Mann, in Heat together and Al also has The Insider. But DeNiro has also worked with Sergio Leone, Terry Gilliam, Bernardo Bertolucci, Elia Kazan, Quentin Tarrantino, Barry Levinson, Michael Cimino, Ulu Grosbard, etc. Now, Pacino does have two monumental pictures with Sidney Lumet where DeNiro has somehow never worked with him plus Oliver Stone (though nobody will confuse Any Given Sunday with one of his best) and a couple amazing flicks with Jerry Schatzberg at the beginning of his career, but in the overall scoreboard of who has worked with the most first-rate directors, that's DeNiro by a landslide.

DeNiro has two directorial efforts to his credit, the excellent A Bronx Tale and the solid and ambitious The Good Shepherd vs. Pacino's very inventive Shakespeare documentary Looking for Richard and the almost unwatchable adaptation of the play Chinese Coffee. So in terms of their output as directors, this one again easily goes to DeNiro.

Also, DeNiro can do comedy while Pacino hasn't proven it's part of his range, even after all these years. Certainly some of Pacino's characters have funny lines (sometimes unintentionally so) and certainly as with any good actor he can mix drama and comedy into the same role, but the uneven dramedy Author! Author! is the closest he's come to performing in a "comedy" as the star of the picture, and while he was fine it's hardly a home run. His way-over-the-top Big Boy Caprice under heavy make-up in Beatty's Dick Tracy may be his most purely comic performance, and that's not saying a whole lot. At least not when you compare it to DeNiro in Midnight Run, which is simply genius, or in highlighted support in Brazil or Wag the Dog or even co-starring in the Analyze This and Meet the Parents flicks, which for their flaws are still very effective comedic work. As a screen comedian, again there's no comparison.

They've both played The Devil, and I'll take Bobby's Louis Cyphre of Angel Heart interacting with Mickey Rourke over Al's John Milton with Keanu in The Devil's Advocate every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Pacino does indeed act on the stage, which DeNiro has consciously chosen not to do, so give Al that point. But as a producer and then adding in the TriBecca Film Festival and the charities he set up for his neighborhood post 9/11, it's DeNiro in another blow out.

Pacino is great, of course, and a whole bunch of his early performances would be among the best of any given year, but not only would I slot him behind DeNiro among the major American actors of his generation but also behind both Gene Hackman and Dustin Hoffman.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Both of these actors are two of the best of their time. I personally like Pacino better as I thought he was brilliant in A Scent Of A Woman. Both are fantastic though making it extremely difficult to choose between the two.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
DeNiro. Not even close for me. Of course, I haven't seen too many Pacino films however. But I'm still thinking it'd be DeNiro no matter what.

robert de niro...waaaay more versatile in his roles