Are Spaghetti westerns dead??

Tools    

Are Spaghetti Westerns dead??
Which was officially the last Spaghetti Western?

Has there been any attempts to bring it back again??

Is there a modern hybrid of this sub-genre (like the way we have Neo-Noir)??

Discuss!!

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Well there have been imitations out there, noteably the mediocre The Quick and the Dead. Ultimately you're asking if there are Italian westerns. I don't know if the country of Italy is still producing films of the western genre? Maybe? But they'll be different certainly today than of the 60's and early 70's. You're talking about a sub-genre that is defined as much by the time in which they were made as by their stylization. So are there westerns made in the Leone style? Sure. But ultimately they are "reproductions."

Each time period creates it's own breed of film. Certainly filmmakers can make silent movies, but even greats like John Madden are not making true silent pictures even if they are recreating the style.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
John Madden is great, but do you mean Guy Maddin?

I think anytime you hear a faux Morricone score in a showdown/staredown (Zombieland, Coen Bros. flicks), you're watching the essence of a spaghetti western. That's my first thought anyway. I just thought I'd keep the ball rolling before I go to sleep...

Yep, yep. That's it. Guy Maddin. Thanks for the correction.
Also good point about films that wear their influence of spaghetti westerns on their sleeve ala Zombieland. Of course anytime you watch a Robert Rodriguez film like El Mariachi or even From Dusk Till Dawn you'll see those influences. Of course with Rodriguez it's not only style that is inspired by those westerns, but also the production of shooting with as low of budget as possible. Getting everything from each penny spent.

Look at Kill BIll vol 2. Another film that tries to capture that mood.

Semper Fooey
Spaghetti westerns are deader than Ross Poirot's Reform Party. Remnants are there, like music and staging of action scenes, editing techniques, etc. But the western genre is rarely done these days and the last western, as IL2Vf points out, to have some spaghetti in it was The Quick and the Dead.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I think they're dead, but not forgotten. The success of Deadwood showed just a couple years back just what a smart writer (David Milch) can do with this genre. I'm waiting on a Guy Ritchie/Tarantino etc version of one of these, I think it would be great. Good genre, but you got to avoid cliches...

I think they're dead, but not forgotten. The success of Deadwood showed just a couple years back just what a smart writer (David Milch) can do with this genre. I'm waiting on a Guy Ritchie/Tarantino etc version of one of these, I think it would be great. Good genre, but you got to avoid cliches...

Yes "Deadwood" is amazing. Tarantino may do a spaghetti western someday, but I'm always skeptical of his work.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I don't know if its possible to avoid the cliche's so much as embrace them ala Silverado.

I know when i watched the Bruce Willis Actioner Last Man Standing, it sure reminded me of "the man with no name" Leone Flicks.

Same story just changed up the time period.

Tarantino already employed a sort of Leone-inspired style in Kill Bill 2. He spends a lot more time to actually setting up the fights, whereas the fights themselves are short. Much like in a spaghetti western.

I think Tarantino also mentioned that Kill Bill 2 was his ode to Leone and spaghetti westerns in general, whereas Kill Bill 1 is an ode to Asian martial arts / samurai flicks.

How about a 3D Spaghetti Western...

&feature=player_embedded#!

I would watch this just because of 2:50 in the video ^

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Should I buy Once Upon a Time in the West for $5 at Wal-mart?
YES.

Then sit back and enjoy.

They will never be dead; like you all were saying, remnants exist and homages paid often. There is even a scene in the last Pirates film. It also seems to me that since spaghetti westerns were nothing by homages themselves to westerns, employing theme and conventions (and taking them to the extreme), any time a new western is made, there is a chance a spaghetti moment might be in it.

elements of it are still alive.
kill bill +1

there's a frog in my snake oil
Mark F's been discussing that, or at least the 'Modern Western', in the Movie Tab (see here). Would you include Zombieland as a modern Western (minus the spaghetti) for example? (I can def see the argument, and it's not just Woody's hat & chutzpah).

As for 'hybrids', does that include games? ...

...They've studied the exterior and interior lighting of influential cinematographers like Winton C Hoch, Tonino Delli Colli and Bruce Surtees, and produced a lovely pastiche of an Ennio Morricone score...
(Source = Phillip French, Guardian film reviewer)

Kinda liked this quote by one of the head honchos incidentally...

“Westerns are about place,” he said. “They’re not called outlaw films. They’re not even called cowboys-and-Indians films. They’re called westerns. They’re about geography.”

The western does come back at times. A successful film could mean a revival. The man with no name style film has moved to modern American cities now where Willis and others run up huge body counts.

if 310 couldn't relaunch the western genre despite how awesome the movie was, we'll never get any more westerns approved by producers. It's not what's hot with audiences. Currently comic book movies are.

Semper Fooey
The right filmmaker if he wanted to do a spaghetti western to end all spaghetti westerns, could probably pull it off as a last hurrah.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
It's not hot with the audiences but a lot of older people and some others still enjoy them. I saw The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and I am intrigued to watch more.

WTF! Just realized that Tinto Brass had directed a Spaghetti western called Yankee
Anyone seen it?.. does it have loads of sex & violence.. I can't wait to get my hands on this.

Btw in reply to a thread I started myself years ago, I found this 1998 TV movie called Dollar for the Dead, it stars Emilio Estevez, & produced by Tony Anthony, a popular Spaghetti western actor who starred in Blindman.

Also, we have Django Unchained releasing this year, which will surely raise interest in a lot of other Spaghetti westerns. Or Maybe as usual most of Tarantino fans will choose to remain ignorant of his inspirations/sources & revere him as a god.

We also had Rodriguez' Machete, with a sequel already on the way.
& Mel Gibson had a movie called El Gringo out, haven't seen it yet, I am guessing it's a tribute to the spaghetti westerns as well.