35.09%
20 votes
Musicals
22.81%
13 votes
Romance
57 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The trick is not minding
I bought a dvd box set with 9 World War II Classics in it a while back and have only watched 3 of them, so now I have a good reason to watch the other 6! I might see if I can pick up another war themed box set. Anyone know of any good war box sets (dvd or blu ray) that they recommend?
Here’s a few recommendations, all films I hardly see spoken of very often, or even at all:
Hamburger Hill (I need to rewatch it but I seem to recall loving it)

Casualties of War (Michael J Fox best film role ever)

The Dawns Here Are Quiet 1972 film version
(Five girls... five young girls were here, only five, and you did not pass!) still puts a lump in my throat*

Gallipoli (young Mel Gibson after he had done Mad Max)

Beneath Hill 60 (two Asussie war films in a row? Sure)

I bought a dvd box set with 9 World War II Classics in it a while back and have only watched 3 of them, so now I have a good reason to watch the other 6! I might see if I can pick up another war themed box set. Anyone know of any good war box sets (dvd or blu ray) that they recommend?
What films does it include?

What films does it include?
It includes: Anzio / Bridge on the River Kwai / Caine Mutiny / From Here to Eternity / Fury / Guns of Navarone / Hanover Street / Heroes of Telemark /Sahara.

https://www.amazon.ca/Original-Versi.../dp/B01JWAE0OA

Here’s a few recommendations, all films I hardly see spoken of very often, or even at all:
Hamburger Hill (I need to rewatch it but I seem to recall loving it)

Casualties of War (Michael J Fox best film role ever)

The Dawns Here Are Quiet 1972 film version
(Five girls... five young girls were here, only five, and you did not pass!) still puts a lump in my throat*

Gallipoli (young Mel Gibson after he had done Mad Max)

Beneath Hill 60 (two Asussie war films in a row? Sure)
Thanks for the recommendations. I have heard good things about Casualties of War and have been meaning to see it eventually. I'll see if I can check the others out too.

It includes: Anzio / Bridge on the River Kwai / Caine Mutiny / From Here to Eternity / Fury / Guns of Navarone / Hanover Street / Heroes of Telemark /Sahara.

https://www.amazon.ca/Original-Versi.../dp/B01JWAE0OA
I've seen the following:

Bridge on the River Kwai
From Here to Eternity
Fury
Guns of Navarone

And I would probably rank them that way. Liked/loved them all to varying degrees.

Forgive my ignorance here, but the automated option we use to send in our ballot, uses what criteria? Asking for a friend...
Depends on what the host decides. But if they do have some kind of genre restriction it would probably have to be audited semi manually. Unlike decades I probably can't program the tool to block genres during the initial submission. Unless we use TMDB maybe. Not sure.

A quick search on IMDB and I see there's 9,930 movies tagged 'war'. That's a lot! Don't believe me? Take a look...
https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?t...m_votes%2Cdesc

After much reflection and study, I have concluded that 11,989 is actually more than 9,930.

You'll have to give me some recommendations of entertaining war films. It's a genre that I have a hard time getting excited or interested in.
Twelve O'Clock High (1949) Highly rated, starring Gregory Peck and not a single scene of battle or action. It's dramatic tension & character study. A lock on my ballot.

You'll have to give me some recommendations of entertaining war films. It's a genre that I have a hard time getting excited or interested in.
Good DVD set!

Anzio
I reviewed here at MoFo and gave it a 2.5/5
Fury I gave a 2/5
Bridge on the River Kwai / Caine Mutiny / From Here to Eternity all are 4/5 or higher for me.
Guns of Navarone seen it as a kid on TV, though it was cool.
Sahara solid Bogart movie, Bogart made a number of war movies.

Haven't seen Hanover Street / Heroes of Telemark

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Based on my IMDB Advanced Search

War, Restrict to Titles I've Seen (Sorted by Your Rating Descending) - IMDb

I've seen 142 out of 2,455 and would be happy to recommend you some I think you'd like.. Not the stereotypical war movies, which become redundant. I like that in previous countdowns, that the genre is left to the discretion of the viewer.

-The Battle of Algiers
-Sunflower
-Anatahan
-The Grand Illusion
-The Cranes Are Flying

Hey hey, voting isn't over yet. And all this will get lost unless it goes in a thread for War film recs! I can move posts to such a thread next week if necessary, of course.

Hey hey, voting isn't over yet. And all this will get lost unless it goes in a thread for War film recs! I can move posts to such a thread next week if necessary, of course.
Me, about to reply to Citizen...

Even though voting isn't officially over, I've started to prepare for war. In the past 2 days, I've watched 6 war films.

On a side note, I'm curious how this list plays out, some of my letterboxd entries are straight battle influenced films, but also others involve a story that is happening during the universe of a major conflict going on. Decisions. But I am pleasantly surprised by the number of options available.

Even though voting isn't officially over, I've started to prepare for war. In the past 2 days, I've watched 6 war films.
What were they? Any good ones? I know you watched To Hell and Back (good film too) but I didn't see you post about the other five. I'm starting to pay attention when someone says they were impressed with a war film...I need to see more