Post-credits scenes

Tools    

These seem to be becoming increasingly common. I mostly hate them. I guess they’re meant to shift perspectives on the ending, but then again, why would you want to do that in the first place? I get them when it comes to Marvel and the like (when I went to watch Across the Spider-Verse with my ex, he kept expecting a post-credits scene). But when it comes to your average action thriller and whatnot, aren’t they just undermining the ending? Insofar as the ending has been ‘earnt’, why would you then reverse it in a sequence that most people might not even watch?

(Looking at you, the new Road House…)

I think filmmakers started doing it by tagging on a little teaser in the hope of making the audience excited about a sequel. But yeah I mostly hate it.

I think I recall a good one in 'I'm thinking of ending things' though, which is ironic given the title and plot.

I think filmmakers started doing it by tagging on a little teaser in the hope of making the audience excited about a sequel. But yeah I mostly hate it.

I think I recall a good one in 'I'm thinking of ending things' though, which is ironic given the title and plot.
Ah, yes. That was an odd little Kaufman experience. I did enjoy it.

I suppose I find it baffling in films where a sequel feels irrelevant (but then, aren’t most of them).

People who rush to the exit will miss something cool, lol.

I love them and hope they keep making them. As a film buff, I always stay through all of the credits no matter what.

The trick is not minding
The earliest film I remember it from is Young Sherlock Holmes, which I had seen as a kid at the theater. I don’t remember staying to see it though, but when I rewatches it decades later, I was sure to do it.

Post credit acenes, along with mid credits scenes, started gaining prominence during the aughts. I distinctly remember Daredevil doing this, and later, I was told by a friend that staying after the credits of Pirates of the Caribbean 3, there’s a scene. I hated the movie so I didn’t stick around. X men 3 had, but I can’t rnemember if it was post credits or mid credits.
Marvel started making heavy use of post credits scenes as a way of teasing future movies.

There are others, especially in established franchises, that have done this but Marvel is the main culprit

These seem to be becoming increasingly common. I mostly hate them. I guess they’re meant to shift perspectives on the ending, but then again, why would you want to do that in the first place? I get them when it comes to Marvel and the like (when I went to watch Across the Spider-Verse with my ex, he kept expecting a post-credits scene). But when it comes to your average action thriller and whatnot, aren’t they just undermining the ending? Insofar as the ending has been ‘earnt’, why would you then reverse it in a sequence that most people might not even watch?

(Looking at you, the new Road House…)
I’ve never heard of post-credits scenes. Maybe because I don’t stick around long enough?

In a related development, both new Ghostbusters and Road House movies out this week feature mid-credit scenes.

The earliest one I remember is from The Muppet Movie, which was a fun one, of course (though more a continuation of the scene behind the credits than a true post-credits scene).
There was the aforementioned Young Sherlock Holmes (presumably a sequel teaser, but with no sequel forthcoming), and Ferris Bueller as well

Wikipedia (never wrong) tells me the first post-credits scene was in a Dean Martin film, The Silencers, from 1966.

Anyway, "stingers" can be a nice treat, but like most things, should be used in moderation.

"Main culprit"? "Moderation"?

Oh, to hell with that. You don't like post-credit scenes? Fine, then don't stay for the credits, problem solved!!

I like the credits when there is some cool music to listen to. I am just waiting to see the list of music used in the film. To me the worst thing about streaming is that I never get to see the music credits.

LOVE what occurs during the closing credits of the David Spade comedy Dickie Roberts:
Former Child Star
...would rather not spoil it if you haven'r seen it. It is available on You Tube without the rest of the movie.

To me the worst thing about streaming is that I never get to see the music credits.
While it's true that most streamers (except CC) make you jump through hoops to watch the end credits, there's always a way to do it. Just figure out what button to press on your remote!

While it's true that most streamers (except CC) make you jump through hoops to watch the end credits, there's always a way to do it. Just figure out what button to press on your remote!
That will never happen.

That will never happen.