Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Masculin Feminin (Jean-Luc Godard, 1966)

The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising (David L. Cunningham, 2007)

The Flying Scotsman (Douglas Mackinnon, 2006)
-
Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War (Je-kyu Kang, 2004)
+

The Eyes of the Mummy Ma (Ernst Lubitsch, 1918)
-
Bolero (John Derek, 1984)
-
Crazy/Beautiful (John Stockwell, 2001)
-
Bringing Up Baby (Howard Hawks, 1938)
+

Hero (Zhang Yimou, 2002)

The Desperados (Henry Levin, 1969)
+
The Mercernary aka A Professional Gun (Sergio Corbucci, 1968)

Dredd (Pete Travis, 2012)

Ghost Son (Lamberto Bava, 2007)

My Neighbor Totoro (Hayao Miyazaki, 1988)

Doctor Dolittle (Richard Fleischer, 1967)

Witness (Peter Weir, 1985)
+

Walk Don’t Run (Charles Walters, 1966)
-
Dr. Crippen (Robert Lynn, 1964)

Only God Forgives (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2013)
-
The Collector (William Wyler, 1965)
-

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Rope (1948)
First time seeing this one and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The little side glances made by the actors were priceless and the fact that it was a one piece set with dialogue only and kept my apt attention says a lot about this play brought to the silver screen.

Number Seventeen
(1932) another hitchcock flick I've never seen and got a kick out of. Especially the gentleman holding the candle; regular scene-stealer that one

REWATCH Libeled Lady (1936)
Jean Harlow, Spencer Tracy, Myrna Loy and William Powell run the comedic gambit trying to get a newspaper article written WITHOUT getting sued for libel.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
This is The End - I don't think i've seen a funnier or more perverse movie in a while. Saying anything about it would ruin the sicko surprises in store. I usually totally HATE Danny McBride (I just do not find the man funny), but he is genius here. Thumbs way way up.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Lars and the Real Girl (Gillespie, 2007)

Eight Men Out (Sayles, 1988)
+
The Factory (ONeill, 2012)
+
Max (Meyjes, 2002)
-
Grosse Pointe Blank (Armitage, 1997)

Midnight in the Garden Of Good and Evil (Eastwood, 1997)
+
High Fidelity (Frears, 2000)
-
*Batteries Not Included (Robbins, 1987)

Igor (Leondis, 2008)
+
Benny & Joon (Chechik, 1993)

Rush (2013 Howard)

Adult style racing film Rush is a huge comeback for director Ron Howard. This isn't to suggest he was previously on an endless downhill fall, but after a three in a row succes (The Davinci Code, Frost/Nixon, and Angels & Demons) he directed the junk film, The Dilemma. But that's all in the past with Rush. The film focuses on the real life battles between James Hunt and Niki Lauda. I knew nothing of these two coming in, so the final race scene was especially gripping for myself. The characters are played by Hemsworth and Bruhl, who both put up solid performances. These two forces of racing are highly different, I was switching between the one that I prefer. These aren't just two different racers, they are different style of lives. You have party lover James Hunt on one side, and Lauda who won't stay up past nine on the other.

The cinematography in this movie is some of the best I've seen in awhile, in it's tecnological saviness. Car lovers will orgasm over some of the shots, fast moving, and beautiful to the eye. The film has notable make up artists as you can see in the development of Launda's face after the accident. Speaking of which, Rush has the greatest cringe scene ever, perhaps only behind Clean, Shaven, and Irreversable. As Launda is in the hospital, they must pump the junk out of his lungs, through a long metal pipe. In a scene that can't end soon enough, I was left cringing and looking away in my seat. I'm going to be keeping a closer eye on screenplay writer Peter Morgan after this, he's written two other non fiction film that I've respected, Frost/Nixon and The Dammed United. In all three of these movies the dialogue is a crucial factor.

So yes I loved Rush. Despite having sex, drugs, profanity, the film is classy as all hell in style. Has a similar intense yet comftrable feeling as 2012 Oscar winner Argo. I strongly reccomend this film to those interested in racing, or those like me, who know near nothing about it.
-

My other watches from September
REWATCH: Dimensions of Dialogue

Ferris Buellers Day Off

REWATCH: Shrek 2

Reluctant Revolutionaries
-
REWATCH: Sherlock Jr.

Black Widow (1987)

The Man Who Cried

Orlando
+
The Breakfast Club

Twister (1989)

Elephant

Trespass
-
Bad Ass

Senna
+
Happy Birthday To Me

Senna & Orlando

Pleased to see another good review and rating for Rush. Could you give a few thoughts on Black Widow and Senna?

Sure!

Black Widow I saw due to your 80s list, so thank a lot . A problem I had early on was how quickly Alex was catching on, and this ruined the whole rising action/climax/falling action, ect. The film bored outside the few sexy scenes. Senna I loved, it told a whole story through just videos from F1, and showed Senna as a great athlete. And it actually pushed me to believe racing is a sport. It was thrilling and the end was a great emotional moment to dwell in.

Lars and the Real Girl (Gillespie, 2007)

Eight Men Out (Sayles, 1988)
+
The Factory (ONeill, 2012)
+
Max (Meyjes, 2002)
-
Grosse Pointe Blank (Armitage, 1997)

Midnight in the Garden Of Good and Evil (Eastwood, 1997)
+
High Fidelity (Frears, 2000)
-
*Batteries Not Included (Robbins, 1987)

Igor (Leondis, 2008)
+
Benny & Joon (Chechik, 1993)

serious reps for multiple john cusack viewings AND glad to see you enjoyed Grosse Pointe Blank, yay

serious reps for multiple john cusack viewings AND glad to see you enjoyed Grosse Pointe Blank, yay
Yeah, I'm kind of having a John Cusack marathon (have I mentioned yet that I think he's really hot?). I've still got a bunch of his movies in my collection that I've not watched in a long time plus there's at least a couple more on netflix that I've not seen at all. I plan to get through all of them in the next week or two.

And Grosse Pointe Blank is awesome. It's actually a rewatch but I only recently added it to my collection. Speaking of Cusacks, sister Joan is great in GPB too. I love when the siblings work together.

I want to see Rush,too,looks like an awesome movie

Broken Flowers (Jim Jarmusch, 2005)
+
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Steven Spielberg, 1984)

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Steven Spielberg, 1989)

The Elephant Man (David Lynch, 1980)

Witness (Peter Weir, 1985)
+
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (Karel Reisz, 1960)
-

Get Low (Aaron Schneider, 2009)

Izzy & Moe (Jackie Cooper, 1985)

The Devil and Max Devlin (Steven Hilliard Stern, 1981)

Return from the Ashes (J. Lee Thompson, 1965)

First Comes Courage (Dorothy Arzner, 1943)

Ice Castles (Donald Wrye, 1978)

Hard, Fast and Beautiful (Ida Lupino, 1951)

Defiance (Edward Zwick, 2008)

Bronson (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2008)

Adios Sabata (Gianfranco Parolini [Frank Kramer], 1971)

Pat and Mike (George Cukor, 1952)
-
Quiz Show (Robert Redford, 1994)
-

Billie (Don Weis, 1965)
+
Thin Ice aka The Convincer (Jill Sprecher, 2011)

Underworld U.S.A. (Samuel Fuller, 1961)

White Dog (Samuel Fuller, 1982)

Don’t Trust Your Husband aka An Innocent Affair (Lloyd Bacon, 1948)

It Happened to Jane (Richard Quine, 1959)
-
Myra Breckinridge (Michael Sarne, 1970)

Before Midnight (Richard Linklater, 2013)

Sure!

Black Widow I saw due to your 80s list, so thank a lot . A problem I had early on was how quickly Alex was catching on, and this ruined the whole rising action/climax/falling action, ect. The film bored outside the few sexy scenes. Senna I loved, it told a whole story through just videos from F1, and showed Senna as a great athlete. And it actually pushed me to believe racing is a sport. It was thrilling and the end was a great emotional moment to dwell in.
I loved Senna when I watched it, and like you I don't have much interest in F1, which makes me really interested in seeing Rush, that seems to be getting great reviews.

I give them all
. I think they're quite romantic films but conversely they're mostly anti-cinematic. They do have beautiful locations and long takes, but they don't really find a visually-interesting way to film conversations. Midnight is different in that we hear several other characters' thoughts on love and relationships, and a few of these are the most affecting in the film. As to the primary couple, they do have some interesting things to say, and their lives definitely seem to have evolved since we last met them, but ultimately, their arguments seem more generic than enlightening. I applaud the films for daring to try to be more literate and adult than most nowadays, but again I find the intentions only worth so much compared to the results. However, if you love these characters, I think you'll love reconnecting with them here. I halfway did.

Defiance (Edward Zwick, 2008)

I kinda thought the same way when i watched this one. Which was a shame, having read the book a few years before and thinking how great a movie this would make and it just didn't stand up to its full potential.

Yeah, I'm kind of having a John Cusack marathon (have I mentioned yet that I think he's really hot?). I've still got a bunch of his movies in my collection that I've not watched in a long time plus there's at least a couple more on netflix that I've not seen at all. I plan to get through all of them in the next week or two.

And Grosse Pointe Blank is awesome. It's actually a rewatch but I only recently added it to my collection. Speaking of Cusacks, sister Joan is great in GPB too. I love when the siblings work together.
Totally agree about watching the cusack siblings when they work together and I've always been a fan of John from the get go as a teenager geek in sixteen candles, which can actually include joan as well for that one, lol and i've always loved grosse pointe blank.
They actually filmed that movie about 2 miles from where i was living, on the east side of detroit, at the time. My roomate got to watch them filming at the high school.

Does that collection include Runaway Jury? I was pleasantly surprised by that one

Does that collection include Runaway Jury? I was pleasantly surprised by that one
It doesn't and I haven't seen that one. It doesn't appear to be on Netflix instant either. Looks like Amazon's got the DVD for less than $5 so I might just blind buy it.

Totally agree about watching the cusack siblings when they work together and I've always been a fan of John from the get go as a teenager geek in sixteen candles, which can actually include joan as well for that one, lol

What exactly was the point of Joan Cusack's neck braced character in Sixteen Candles? And that whole scene with her drinking from the water fountain? She is a nameless character who gets this whole scene with her in a neck brace just trying to use the drinking fountain (see Youtube video above). It's funny as Hell, and I love it, but the point is?

I wonder if her character is supposed to be John Cusack's sister in the movie, since he's in it, too. It's never said, but I wonder if.

I think the point was simply that it was funny. I don't think they were supposed to be brother and sister in the movie. They've worked together a lot, but usually their characters aren't siblings. Martian Child is the only one I can think of where they play siblings. Usually they're just friends or something else.