Need advice on alternatives to DSL internet for my computer

Tools    

I live in a rural area and I don't think I can get cable internet. Anybody familiar with other internet options for a computer? Anybody know anything about Satellite internet or using 5g wireless with a computer?

Satellite is very expensive. I looked into it once and it was a no go. 5G may be a better option but you'll be wanting to get an unlimited data option.
Thanks. I read some about satellite and it sounded like data caps are a thing. I don't want a data cap. Have you (or anyone) ever used 5G with a PC? I believe there's some special equipment needed.

Thanks. I read some about satellite and it sounded like data caps are a thing. I don't want a data cap. Have you (or anyone) ever used 5G with a PC? I believe there's some special equipment needed.
Afraid not no.

I live in a rural area and I don't think I can get cable internet. Anybody familiar with other internet options for a computer? Anybody know anything about Satellite internet or using 5g wireless with a computer?
Starlink

Ethernet or Dial-up for the ultimate privacy. All wireless connections are gaping whore holes.
That's true...I'm connected by ethernet to a lock down NAT router modem. But if somebody is running Windows you're already spied upon so badly you might as well give up the battle.

That's true...I'm connected by ethernet to a lock down NAT router modem. But if somebody is running Windows you're already spied upon so badly you might as well give up the battle.
With a full setup I wouldn't use Edge to connect but my PC net time is scarce so I don't bother. Definitely though, don't use Chrome/Edge if you want privacy, use the most stripped down browser you can find and use an encrypted landline connection.

Privacy obsessed users are just paranoid.
It isn't a matter of protecting sensitive secret information as much as it is giving yourself the courtesy of confidence. You wouldn't hold a conversation with a man who reaches into your pocket and browses through your wallet would you?

Or maybe you'd barely notice.

You ready? You look ready.
It isn't a matter of protecting sensitive secret information as much as it is giving yourself the courtesy of confidence. You wouldn't hold a conversation with a man who reaches into your pocket and browses through your wallet would you?

Or maybe you'd barely notice.
I don’t even know what this means: courtesy of confidence? But I’m confident none of that information is secure, as wallets are very insecure.

With a full setup I wouldn't use Edge to connect but my PC net time is scarce so I don't bother. Definitely though, don't use Chrome/Edge if you want privacy, use the most stripped down browser you can find and use an encrypted landline connection.
I wouldn't touch Chrome/Edge with a 10 foot pole. No browser is super secure or privacy minded but Firefox if hardened is the best one can do, unless one wants to use Tor over the Onion network but that's slow thanks to all the rerouting that's done to hide the end user. So it's hardened Firefox with a VPN for me with a good kill switch for me. I'm still undecided about what DNS server I want to use. Currently Cloudflare, no way would it be Google's DNS servers and definitely not my ISP's DNS servers.

I’ve always been amused by these sorts of dilemmas. Because the more one tries to hide themselves from prying eyes the more eyes they invite upon themselves. Tor is a perfect example. That’s a guaranteed way to get eyes on you and your data.

And do you truly trust that VPN to not crack under the weight of a government’s security apparatus? Or to not become a target of unsavory actors?

...Tor is a perfect example. That’s a guaranteed way to get eyes on you and your data.
That's why I don't use Tor especially with a VPN, there's gov software programs that can spot people using that combo especially if you're visiting the dark web. Not that the dark web is all evil, it's not, it's composed of networks with unpublished addresses but that's also were the bad players hide out too.

And do you truly trust that VPN to not crack under the weight of a government’s security apparatus? Or to not become a target of unsavory actors?
Life is all about degrees of trust and degrees of safety. There's no black or white about it, it's all areas of gray. One should drive safely, but that doesn't mean we don't end up driving a few miles over the speed limit or fiddling with the stereo as we drive....but just because people can't be 100% safe while driving that doesn't mean they should then give up and declare safe driving a folly...giving up by downing a bottle of Jack Daniels while driving the wrong way down the freeway at 110mph. Computing/internet is like that, you improve your privacy and security but it's never 100% unless you're air gapped...Still that doesn't mean one should throw up their hands and give up. In a nut shell I trust my VPN more than I do my ISP. I certainly do not trust my ISP which are flat out weasels.

Computing/internet is like that, you improve your privacy and security but it's never 100% unless you're air gapped...Still that doesn't mean one should throw up their hands and give up. In a nut shell I trust my VPN more than I do my ISP. I certainly do not trust my ISP which are flat out weasels.
Yeah, but I'm not saying that.

I'm merely remarking on the lengths that people go to try and hide their data as a means of privacy. The only true way to be private and/or ensure data stays private is to never let it be indexed in such a way that it can be tied back to you, and people have very little control over the majority of data that is getting indexed.
  • Public records - (i.e. real estate purchases) I can easily look up and access all sorts of public information in GIS databases.
  • Shopping history - (i.e. digital transactions). Unless you are paying cash for everything there is a record tied to you that is not within your domain of control.
  • Credit reports
  • Tax records
  • Rewards programs
  • Surveillance cameras

It's just amusing the lengths people go to hide data that is, largely, irrelevant to their privacy, especially when so much data is indexed and easily accessible in public databases.

If one was truly a stalwart of privacy they would:
  1. Pay cash for everything
  2. Never carry a cellphone
  3. Never access the web

I don’t even know what this means: courtesy of confidence? But I’m confident none of that information is secure, as wallets are very insecure.
The point is that it isn't anymore paranoia than it is like being worried your front door might be open. There might not be someone there waiting to sneak in but you can be confident that there's a lock to prevent this scenario.