The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I watched Akira for the first time in the last year or so. All I ever heard anyone talk about is the motorcycle and Neo Tokyo, and a couple shows parodied the end.. But that movie is ****ing weird. Nobody talks about how ****ing weird it is! I genuinely don’t know if I like it or not.

Toy Story is a classic and I’m glad at least one Pixar got represented.

Also great clue, Yoda. Made in Japan.

Finally, something from my list, but I can't believe the first one is so low. I was positively certain it was a Toy Story movie, but I thought it would likely be the third. Ah, whatever. I got "Toy Story" and "classic anime" right at least.

1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8: Toy Story (87)
9:
10:
11:
12:
13:
14:
15:
16:
17: The Seventh Seal (Honorable Mention)
18:
19:
20:
21:
22:
23:
24:
25:

Never seen Akira, but seen Toy Story which is one of my favorite movies. It's not on my top 25 but on my top 100. I liked 2 and 3, 4 was alright but it felt like sorta forced, 4 it didn't really need to happen but oh well what can you do.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Never seen Akira, but seen Toy Story which is one of my favorite movies. It's not on my top 25 but on my top 100. I liked 2 and 3, 4 was alright but it felt like sorta forced, 4 didn't really need to happen but oh well what can you do.

Akira is one of the freakiest things I've ever seen, and I love freaky. You gotta see it.

Master of My Domain
Thoughts on which remaining Pixar films will make it? Think Wall-E is a shoo-in, and you could argue the same for Up as well. I know mark f is an Incredibles fan so that's a dark horse candidate. Not sure if Toy Story appearing this early either increases the chances of the sequels appearing or lowers them.

I had a lot of animated films on my ballot, but I didn’t vote for either of these. I don’t like Akira and I don’t love Toy Story. Their presence this far down makes me worry for the animations I do love and voted for.

My Ballot:
5. Her (#94)
9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (#92)
25. Clay Pigeons (One-Pointers)

Akira is one of the freakiest things I've ever seen, and I love freaky. You gotta see it.
Not into that foreign film stuff, so I probably wouldn't catch my self watching it. If it was English and Japanese sure I'd give it a watch.

Not into that foreign film stuff, so I probably wouldn't catch my self watching it. If it was English and Japanese sure I'd give it a watch.
Most foreign films are available with an English dub. I find the lips and voices being out of sync maddening with live action films, but I find it’s not that noticeable with animated ones.

Akira isn't my bag. I've struggled getting into most anime that is catered to older audiences. With the exception of Grave of the Fireflies. Generally I like my anime light but powerful, like My Neighbor Totoro (which would have inches onto my list if another animated film didn't sneak in there first)

Toy Story is good but I don't really remember it, it's been so long. I think I prefer both of the sequels. I think Inside Out is probably the best thing I've seen from Pixar. I was caught off guard by how good I thought that was. WallE was destined to be a classic for me over the course of the first half, but the last stretch just felt less....important to me. Killed all that wonderful silence in support of a kinda lame bit of satire at the end

It's dubbed if that's what you mean.

I watched Akira for one of the HOF here and I really didn't like it.

Toy Story, I saw at the cinema. It was ok. Not my favorite out of the Pixar films.

Sadly, I haven't seen neither of these films, so I don't really have anything to offer. However, I'm enjoying this countdown a lot so far and I'm still on board with it.

As much as I love the franchise, still haven't see "Toy Story 4" .
You're not missing a lot. It has one REALLY fun/great idea, but in terms of actual narrative and overall character development, it doesn't add anything to the third, which is the proper end of the series.

The one idea it does have is pretty fun, though.

I'm not the biggest fan of anime, but I liked Akira. A bit muddled and frenzied at times, but still pretty cool.

Toy Story is excellent. I've had the chance to see it a couple of times with different generations (my nephew back in the 1990s, my kids recently) and the magical reaction in them is something else. It didn't make my list, but I think I had it in my shortlist for my Top 100.

One thing about Toy Story that caught my attention the last time I saw it, which I'm obviously not holding agains it, is how "weak" the animation is when compared to the third, or especially the fourth one. It's really impressive how far the technology has come.

Sadly, I haven't seen neither of these films, so I don't really have anything to offer. However, I'm enjoying this countdown a lot so far and I'm still on board with it.
I'm enjoying it too, yea there are some movies that I haven't seen or heard of or not on my list yet but hey this is a community list and not just for like a few people that just picks their favorite movies. I'm having this gut feeling that more movies from the top 30 that was on the 2010 list will get sent to a higher number in the list

As much as I love the franchise, still haven't see "Toy Story 4" .
I'd say it's better than it has any right to be. Ultimately unnecessary, but it still manages to stir up some interesting "new" ideas. And, like I said above, the animation is superb.

You're not missing a lot. It has one REALLY fun/great idea, but in terms of actual narrative and overall character development, it doesn't add anything to the third, which is the proper end of the series.

The one idea it does have is pretty fun, though.

Agree with this. The trilogy was complete (anf just about perfect) as it was, so really TS4 should probably be considered more of s spin-off to explore the territory and idea/s it does cover.